Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks, a lot of you know I've been whining like a little school girl for years now trying to find a large cent, which some of you dig up on a regular basis. Well today was my day and I can FINALLY say I'm a member of the Large Cent Club (LCC).
Yaba-daba-doooo!!!! :icon_thumleft:
Bubba and I detected at the 1850's house I recently gained permission to detect. Up to now, my best find here was two somewhat rare CW bullets a few weeks back. To keep from wasting my time digging crappe' today, I set my Silver Umax discrimination high so I could concentrate on digging coins. After digging up only modern clad at up to 8" deep in the yard, I decided to head to the upper horse pasture which was half way between the house and an 1800's church down the road a bit.
The grass was about 3" tall and it was like the sound of silence out there until I got a good signal. I dug my plug, and at about 5" deep I saw a beautiful round coin in the hole. Was this it???? Could it be???? Yes, it was!!!! The elusive large cent that has been avoiding me for almost three years now. :hello2: It turned out to be an 1850 LC. A common date, but I still love her. :love4: I ran to get my video camera from my truck, and prayed the horses wouldn't eat my equipment or my LC. ;D I got back to the spot to film and my camera batteries were dead! :'( %@&# it!!!
Oh well. :dontknow: Needless to say, I will be gridding off that huge pasture now. :wink:

I know an LC is nothing for some of you guys & gals to find, but to me this experience was as fun as digging my NC buckle. :thumbsup: It's a great feeling that I will always remember.
What's funny is I dug a "The Royal" suits merit token today too, and remembered digging one a few years ago. Here is that post from 2007:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,127272.0.html
If you notice, I was whining even in that post about wanting to find an LC. ;D

Kyle-
I know it's not Colonial, but I want to say "thanks" for your support over the years and helping me "keep the passion high" on my quest for this elusive coin.
Now I need you support on finding a 1700's coin or a large silver in 2010. :icon_thumleft: ;D

O.K., on with the rest of the finds.........

*1850 Large Cent :occasion14: - How can I clean this coin up a bit to see more detail???

*The Royal Suit merit token

*Gold diamond & saphire ring- The heart stopper! :o Turned out to be gold plated. :'( :'( :'(

*Beautiful old key - Any idea of the age? :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

*Bird band - Any ideas on this one? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*Possible button :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

*"Big Winston" work clothes button (Bubba's find)

Thanks for looking folks and once again, "YA-HOOOOOOOOO" :headbang:
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-095S.JPG
    MVC-095S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,613
  • MVC-096S.JPG
    MVC-096S.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-102S.JPG
    MVC-102S.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,590
  • MVC-101S.JPG
    MVC-101S.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • MVC-100S.JPG
    MVC-100S.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,605
  • MVC-099S.JPG
    MVC-099S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,615
  • MVC-098S.JPG
    MVC-098S.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,608
  • MVC-097S.JPG
    MVC-097S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,617
  • MVC-103S.JPG
    MVC-103S.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,598
  • MVC-104S.JPG
    MVC-104S.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,601
  • MVC-105S.JPG
    MVC-105S.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,594
  • MVC-106S.JPG
    MVC-106S.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,597
Upvote 6

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really earned that LC, congrats! If I am ever close to NC I will look you up, always enjoy your posts! I have a buddy here in Germany I work with, he is from Farmville NC, great guy. HH, Mike

Dan32981

Nov 11, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs, love the large cent, ill dig those all day long! Gold Plated!! Darn, im sure it was a heart stopper. Happy Dirt Fishing!

-Dan

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats to you MM on your first LC. It was a great feeling I'm sure to finally see one coming out of the ground. I'll never forget my first.
Keep at it :icon_thumright: I'm sure you will find more now that youve found your first.

Hill Billy

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first of all let me say great finds
as for the lc we have dug over 10 this year and could only get dates off of 3
yours is fantastic compared to ours
your picture MVC-106S.JPG is a pressure hose clamp

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Yup, she cleaned up a little better. Just think, your second largie is still in the ground waiting for you.

Now, if only those dang Colonial PA settlers would have carried cut silvers, I would be able to at least tie you...until you find another one lost by a North Carolina pioneer. :notworthy: I still look at that cut silver of yours and say, "One day I will dig at least one...at least one." :laughing9: :help:

Sir Kyle

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KylePA said:
Yup, she cleaned up a little better. Just think, your second largie is still in the ground waiting for you.

Now, if only those dang Colonial PA settlers would have carried cut silvers, I would be able to at least tie you...until you find another one lost by a North Carolina pioneer. :notworthy: I still look at that cut silver of yours and say, "One day I will dig at least one...at least one." :laughing9: :help:

Sir Kyle

Sir Kyle,
I have no doubt in my mind you will find that cut silver some day buddy. With the old coins KKC digs up constantly there HAS to be one soon. :icon_thumleft: I still remember you telling me years ago I'd be digging a pistareen some day. I had no idea what a pistareen was then. I thought it was a citrus fruit. :tongue3: :laughing9:
I'll be back out in that field gridding on Saturday. :icon_thumleft: I'll let Bubba carry my coin sack. :tongue3:
-Dug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde3 said:
Really Cool stuff Doug!
I found a key just like that last year.
Pretty ring!
Love the token!
Congrats on the LC!
Still looking for my first :P

Thanks Rob.
I'm still looking for my first shark tooth out in the fields too. :laughing9:
-Doug-

elusion said:
ModernMiner said:
kuger said:
Awesome!!I didnt read all of the replies but I wanted to tell you,water can kill Largies....I learned the hard way!Your whatsit strikes me as part of a shot gun head?

Thanks Kuger,
Since it is a common date I tried a bit of hot peroxide and a Q-tip on it, but not much improvement. It looks a bit better, but I'll leave it as-is now. :thumbsup:
-MM-

I usually leave the coins in the hot peroxide until the peroxide has cooled off. Then I rub the coin with a tiny bit of vaseline. It tends to bring out alot of the details. Nice coin!!

Oh, THAT's what they made Vaseline for! :dontknow: :laughing9: Thanks Elusion, I'll have to try that.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civilman1 said:
I get all the No-Date copper's Doug :icon_scratch:.....Congratulation's on your first LC buddy,I know you drank a cold one after that.Nice Job :occasion14:

Thanks Joe,
I drank a few cold one to celebrate my first LC. :occasion14:
-Doug-

civil war hunter said:
Looks like poop to me on that button. Can't wait to find a LC,HH..

Thanks CWH,
You cracked me up on that one, but you are right. That is the button off the rear end flap of some long johns. Back then it was a long run to the outhouse and sometimes they just couldn't make it on time through the snow, mud, and darkness. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Your LC will come. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as I did. I heard they grow under cow pies. Shhhhhhh. :wink:
-MM-

teddy said:
Congrats and welcome to the club.
teddy

Thanks Teddy.
Still waiting for the limo to pull up out front. :dontknow: ;D
-MM-

Bavaria Mike said:
You really earned that LC, congrats! If I am ever close to NC I will look you up, always enjoy your posts! I have a buddy here in Germany I work with, he is from Farmville NC, great guy. HH, Mike

Mike,
It would be an honor to detect with you. Please look me up if you are ever in NC. :icon_thumleft: Does your buddy from Farmville chew tobacco & eat potted meat? ;D
-Doug-

Dan32981 said:
Nice digs, love the large cent, ill dig those all day long! Gold Plated!! Darn, im sure it was a heart stopper. Happy Dirt Fishing!

-Dan

Thanks Dan.
That darn ring would have been worth some good $ if it was real. :'(
-MM-

Hill Billy said:
Congrats to you MM on your first LC. It was a great feeling I'm sure to finally see one coming out of the ground. I'll never forget my first.
Keep at it :icon_thumright: I'm sure you will find more now that youve found your first.

Hill Billy

Thanks HB,
I see you & BB dig them all the time and it was killing me! I thought I had a defective detector. :dontknow: ;D
-MM-

fmerg said:

Thanks Fmerg. :thumbsup:
That makes me feel pretty lucky then.
Thanks for the hose clamp ID.
-MM-

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey MM. Congrats on a beautiful coin! My hats off to you, now your gonna have to listen to my whining! :laughing7:

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
detectahead said:
Hey MM. Congrats on a beautiful coin! My hats off to you, now your gonna have to listen to my whining! :laughing7:

Whine away buddy, I know your pain. ;D
Your day will come. Keep hitting those old properties.
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM! YEA! :notworthy: Everyone knew it was just a matter of time. :wink: And yes, I want one tooooooo!!! Maybe when I visit NC?
I noticed you were having a bit of trouble cleaning her up, so I took the liberty. ;D Isn't she pretty!

MM\'s Big girl.JPG

SO proud for ya!!! :icon_thumright: Get out there and find you another one!

Nana

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
MM! YEA! :notworthy: Everyone knew it was just a matter of time. :wink: And yes, I want one tooooooo!!! Maybe when I visit NC?
I noticed you were having a bit of trouble cleaning her up, so I took the liberty. ;D Isn't she pretty!

SO proud for ya!!! :icon_thumright: Get out there and find you another one!

Nana

Thanks Nana,
She looks 100% better now. ;D :icon_thumleft: Kind of frightning really, because she looks a lot like me now. :o
I'll be working it hard to get LC #2 now.
-Doug-

taropatch said:
congrats on that large cent find! cool looking key too.

Thanks Tar.
That is one of my best old keys so far. :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Doug,
Nice. The LC looks good.

Enjoy. :icon_thumleft:

Bob

Thanks Bob. :icon_thumleft:
I was glad to see a date. Kind of like when I was in high school. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Have a happy holiday & don't forget....Club Miner is only a few hours away. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Opp I must have missed this response. Yeah, I have two houses in my book for next spring because I'm done for the year. Time for hibernation.

ModernMiner said:
civilman1 said:
I get all the No-Date copper's Doug :icon_scratch:.....Congratulation's on your first LC buddy,I know you drank a cold one after that.Nice Job :occasion14:

Thanks Joe,
I drank a few cold one to celebrate my first LC. :occasion14:
-Doug-

civil war hunter said:
Looks like poop to me on that button. Can't wait to find a LC,HH..

Thanks CWH,
You cracked me up on that one, but you are right. That is the button off the rear end flap of some long johns. Back then it was a long run to the outhouse and sometimes they just couldn't make it on time through the snow, mud, and darkness. :tongue3: :laughing9:
Your LC will come. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as I did. I heard they grow under cow pies. Shhhhhhh. :wink:
-MM-

teddy said:
Congrats and welcome to the club.
teddy

Thanks Teddy.
Still waiting for the limo to pull up out front. :dontknow: ;D
-MM-

Bavaria Mike said:

Mike,
It would be an honor to detect with you. Please look me up if you are ever in NC. :icon_thumleft: Does your buddy from Farmville chew tobacco & eat potted meat? ;D
-Doug-

Dan32981 said:

-Dan

Thanks Dan.
That darn ring would have been worth some good $ if it was real. :'(
-MM-

Hill Billy said:

Hill Billy

Thanks HB,
I see you & BB dig them all the time and it was killing me! I thought I had a defective detector. :dontknow: ;D
-MM-

fmerg said:

Thanks Fmerg. :thumbsup:
That makes me feel pretty lucky then.
Thanks for the hose clamp ID.
-MM-

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice LC Doug.......a few piedmont people have gotten them as of late.
I just need to get out and hunt.....this year has been busy for me, just not MD busy.

geo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread