Mystery Compact, Silver Earing, And A bunch Of Relics

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone. Did a little hunting this weekend. Just me and my boy though. Lance sat this one out so he could sign up for baseball.

Saturday mourning me and my son went up the street to a small cabin site in the woods. We only hunted for about 1 hr and a half. Family had other plans for me that day. It was slow like I figured it would be. But you never know.

Sunday we went down to the site I call the trading post. It was slow but there was metal to be dug. I found a neat silver earing with a bunch of green stones in it. I got one wheat down there to.

I continued to hunt when I got a rather nice loud 93 hit on the dfx. I started to dig and got down about 8 inches and nothing had come out of the hole yet. I noticed 2 red bricks in the hole. I took them out and was still getting a loud hit. I started to dig the base of the hole out. I hit metal and stopped at about 11 or 12 inches. I pulled out this compact.

I couldn't open it but I was interested in what may be in it. After seeing J.D's gold coin and the manner this was buried I was wondering. I have found other similar items buried this was. After you find one cache you never doubt things anymore.

I got home cleaned up and was ready to open it up. I got the first door open to find a broken mirror and nothing else. But wait this one had a double door in it. I thought for sure they stashed away a few coins in here. I got the second door open to find either a picture or a old note from the 1800's. Like a 25 cent bill. It was so old it just disintegrated.

Maybe next time. It was a very slow weekend for me. So for those who think I always find stuff I don't. There are days I come home with very little like this past weekend. It was still fun though and good to get out in this nice weather.

HH Jeremy

Attachments

• Compact.jpg
    Compact.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Compact open.jpg
    Compact open.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Silver earing.jpg
    Silver earing.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks Pgill. I think the Harmonica was one of the only forms of entertainment back then. The funny thing is this. Why are only the reads ever found. Why not the whole harmonica. I have found alot of these reads but never the rest of the harmonica.

I don't play one. But I think we all have been given one at one point or another. Usually as a youngster you get one. My spoiled kids nowadays got one that plays for you. Times have really changed. Imagine the only thing you could here in the woods was a harmonica playing.

HH Jeremy

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the rest of the harmonica just rots away? Interesting subject, maybe others can give us an answer.

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread