Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this cool ring an finally found a little info on it thought I'd share it with you ......the center is the face cut out of a Merc dime (no idea what year ) one side is inscribed Oran with a 19 below it , on the other side it says Africa with 1943 below it on the outside bottom of the band is 3 small trade marks I cant make out ......this is what I've fount out about it so far .

in 1943 WW2 The U.S. 1st Ranger Battalion landed east of Oran Africa and quickly captured the shore battery at Arzew. this Ring is what was known as a trench ring made by the GI's , they would melt silver coins to make the rings an them design them how ever they wanted , while enduring long hours of just sitting in the trenches .

From what little info I can find on the rings themselves they go from $70 -$800

thats about all I can tell you so far other than the hallmarks are driving my crazy wanting to know what they are lol

enjoy an HH :icon_thumleft: Tank

Attachments

• SDC10893.JPG
    SDC10893.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,437
  • SDC10894.JPG
    SDC10894.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,353
  • SDC10895.JPG
    SDC10895.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,079
  • SDC10896.JPG
    SDC10896.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 4,286
  • SDC10899.JPG
    SDC10899.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 4,222
Upvote 8

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the unique find. :headbang:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on such a cool find. :thumbsup: Don't sweat the year. I'd rather find that ring than even a 16-D. :headbang:

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tank69 said:
Wow

Thank you everyone who voted for my ring I'm still in shock here :icon_thumleft: Thank you this needs a Happy dance

PS I got your girly hands ya lil redneck dwarf lol

I resemble that remark. lol :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ring!! One of the neatest little finds I've seen on here

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgotten piece of history and a beauty at best. I wonder what kind of action that ring may have been through ::) I would preserve and cherish that

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank everyone , the farthest thing from my mind when I posted this ring was all these great responses an that it would make the banner ....wow it made the banner ;D ........ I agree with allot of you I really wish this ring could talk to me an tell me its story , I wouldn't mind meeting the person who it belonged to an hearing their story either . Ya know most people see metal detecting as just a bunch of old geezers in funny clothes swinging a detector , others see us as like electronic thieves or pirates trying to find a treasure but they would be shocked to find out how many of us can find 1 single item an the history lesson you learn from it ....... with this ring I found allot of history that I have been sharing with those around me as I'm getting it , an its been fun .......Once again Thank you Everyone for voting banner an commenting on my ring , I don't know if I'll ever be able to top this one but until then I'll keep hunting .

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice ring. Congradulation on the banner....

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The U.S. Army 1st Ranger Battalion was constituted on May 27, 1942, and officially activated on June 19, 1942 in Carrickfergus, Ireland under the command of Major William Orlando Darby. Volunteers for the first Ranger unit had come from Army soldiers who had been in training in Northern Ireland with the 34th Infantry Division and the 1st Armored Division.

The first Rangers to see combat were 50 men who joined Canadian and British forces in a disastrous raid on Dieppe, France on August 19, 1942.

During World War II the 1st Ranger Battalion fought in Algeria (Operation Torch), Tunisia, Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno and Anzio.

The 1st Ranger Battalion earned two Presidential Unit Citations; one for its actions in clearing El Guettar Pass in Tunisia in March of 1943, and a second for Salerno.

Following actions near Cisterna, Italy in January of 1944, the 1st Ranger Battalion was , " captured " by German forces. The GI that made the ring ,was possibly a POW ! The battalion was officially deactivated on August 16, 1944. Some history on the First ! Happy Fourth everyone , CMD

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly an outstanding find.

After reading all of the posts, I got to thinking about WW2 and it occurred to me that if politicians, well known personalities and others joined the military, why wouldn't an artisian of fine jewelry?? You know that patriotism doesn't belong exclusively to the common man. :laughing7:

It might be worthwhile to research the HallMarks. Who knows, you might be able to add a lot to its history.

Congradulations on banner. May we all have many more.

ED

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
:o :o :o

I found one of these in my mother's drawer after she passed, along with one just like it with a Boy Scout emblem on it. I have it in the safety deposit box and it is killing me not to be able to inspect it RIGHT NOW!

Congratulations!!!!

Lisa in So Oregon

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you everyone , its cool folks are still looking at it an posting :icon_thumleft: thanks everyone .

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread