Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit another in town city owned lot today ! Really just an extra wide median / gully between two major 1 way streets in the city, 30 yards wide in places ! over a 100 yards long. I knew it was going to be trashy ! I also knew it was in an old part of town ! There was so many signals I was getting discouraged.I was digging nothing but clad and bottle tops and not really seeing any signs of of older activity and after an hour I was thinking about heading to a site that I have already done alot of the trash signal cleanup on when I got a good sounding tone and and at 6 inches down I turn out a couple of oyster shells and just underneath these I got the hand cuff ! It has been cut by the way ! I knew this was an encouraging sign. just a few feet from there I got another good tone and again about 6/7 inches out amongst the oyster shells pops a large cent. I knew right away by its size it was not a coronet and probably a colonial copper so I put it in a keeper bag and go back at it. About 10 yards away I get another decent hit and now have a half penny in my hand . Some #of clad and bottle tops later I find the thimble and finally the small buckle ! Checked my watch and it was time to leave. 2 and 1/2 hours of hunt time in and now I was feeling good about my hunt ! I drove home anxious to see what the 2 coppers were . I dumped my trash bag onto the driveway and pulled the clad out of my pocket which included a full roll of dimes I had also found this morning. 50 dimes in 1 hole ! As soon as I took the coppers out of the keeper bags to lay on top for photo the coins had dried a bit I could see the eagle and was very excited ! An 1788 commonwealth of Massachusetts cent to go with the Mass militia button I found 2 weeks ago !! Unbelievable !! I could get no detail off the 1/2 penny but the Mass copper is in pretty good shape !! Thanks for looking MaineRelic.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 7,150
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 7,139
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 7,119
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 7,119
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 7,117
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 7,139
Upvote 1

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! Unbelieveable State Copper! Congrats!!!!!!! I looked into the variety and am 99.9% sure it is a Ryder 10-L. The bad news is it is listed as a Rarity-1, very common. The good news is I think it would be EF-XF grade! This coin is definitely BANNER worthy!!!!!! I vote for it! :notworthy: The "second" best State Copper I've ever seen dug! (Next to my Ryder-7 Vermont) :wink: :laughing9:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one sweet looking coppers! Banner worthy for sure! :notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Underneath all this stuff there are still colonial treasures ! Mass. cop

Why did you bother with all that other stuff? You just needed to dig one hole! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mach 1 Pilot said:
I was reading the post and thinking I'd be looking at a photo of a barely recognizable coin.... WOW! That one had to make your day! :icon_thumright:
Thanks Mach1 , It did make my day ! The condition is why I considered it treasure ! MaineRelic

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats man,

That is a really great one there

HH Jer

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Underneath all this stuff there are still colonial treasures ! Mass. cop

That is by far the nicest pre- federal period colonial copper I have seen posted !!! Argentium.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dat is a sweet copper!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

lidigger

Sep 4, 2010
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool copper! Congrats, you stayed with it and were rewarded!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
i want one of those bad!! last year me and a buddy joked all the time and say today im going to find a mass copper. well he stopped saying it because he did. its the same year as yours but a different variety and in about the same shape. huge congrats. willy

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Colonial hunt :icon_thumleft: you cant get better then that Mass. copper is out standing :thumbsup: Jim

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
KylePA said:
That MA copper is killer! It will be a shocker find if I dig one here in PA.

Hell, it would be a shocker if I dug one here in Mass, lol....... :icon_salut: :icon_salut: I have dug many state coppers (although never a Mass, and I'm in Mass :dontknow:) but that one would be my best ever .....just remarkable details on that thing, seemingly dropped in 1788!! :icon_thumleft:

I know where the banner button is and I will be pushing it.

Congrats on saving a wonderful piece of history!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread