Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit another in town city owned lot today ! Really just an extra wide median / gully between two major 1 way streets in the city, 30 yards wide in places ! over a 100 yards long. I knew it was going to be trashy ! I also knew it was in an old part of town ! There was so many signals I was getting discouraged.I was digging nothing but clad and bottle tops and not really seeing any signs of of older activity and after an hour I was thinking about heading to a site that I have already done alot of the trash signal cleanup on when I got a good sounding tone and and at 6 inches down I turn out a couple of oyster shells and just underneath these I got the hand cuff ! It has been cut by the way ! I knew this was an encouraging sign. just a few feet from there I got another good tone and again about 6/7 inches out amongst the oyster shells pops a large cent. I knew right away by its size it was not a coronet and probably a colonial copper so I put it in a keeper bag and go back at it. About 10 yards away I get another decent hit and now have a half penny in my hand . Some #of clad and bottle tops later I find the thimble and finally the small buckle ! Checked my watch and it was time to leave. 2 and 1/2 hours of hunt time in and now I was feeling good about my hunt ! I drove home anxious to see what the 2 coppers were . I dumped my trash bag onto the driveway and pulled the clad out of my pocket which included a full roll of dimes I had also found this morning. 50 dimes in 1 hole ! As soon as I took the coppers out of the keeper bags to lay on top for photo the coins had dried a bit I could see the eagle and was very excited ! An 1788 commonwealth of Massachusetts cent to go with the Mass militia button I found 2 weeks ago !! Unbelievable !! I could get no detail off the 1/2 penny but the Mass copper is in pretty good shape !! Thanks for looking MaineRelic.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 7,150
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 7,139
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 7,119
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 7,119
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 7,117
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 7,139
Upvote 1

Bluegrassriver

Oct 18, 2008
Kentucky near the Ohio River!
It is all rather obvious. The Massachusets cent was paid to the fellow who cut the handcuffs off. At just about the end of the cutting a Boston policeman rounding the corner and yelled at the two men in the dark. It startled them and one dropped the cent as he was about to pay. The handcuffs fell to the ground at that instant due to the force after being 99% cut. They both scattered and never came back. 220 years later you show up with a fancy gizmo and find these relics.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woooooooo Hoooooooooo! :thumbsup: Breezie

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey MaineRelic,
Fantastic haul!
I'm married to a Mainer. She took me up there last August but the only place we got to metal detect was along one of the lakes in the Lakes Region area and Old Orchard Beach. She's from around Norway-Bridgton area in Oxford or Cumberland County area, one of the two. I just didn't have enough time to work the beach like I wanted. Has anyone had any luck on this beach? Really wanted to do some relic hunting to find some of those New England coppers. Maybe next trip.

CAP

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
I found one of these coins a fews years ago and was told it was a contefeit. I just went looking for it with no luck so guess it has gone back to world of lost treasure. I found it at OOB near the Scarboro line. They were minted in Saugus Mass if I remember what I was told correctly. Does anyone know if these were conterfeited.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin neighbour, youre doing well on those medians :) :hello2:

:headbang:

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fantastic find for sure. Excellent grade no dought. I found one here on Cape Cod about 6 years ago not nearly as nice as yours... TREASURE IT .. HH

jc2

Sep 18, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE w/SunRay X1 Probe, Sovereign Elite w/SunRay S1 Probe, Garrett Infinium LS and the Tesoro Cortes'
Congrats on the Mass. Copper . . . it's amazing what you can find in places other people would pass on.

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Nice finds! Great condition copper for its age! Well done.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin :o ... congrats ! :thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally wouldn't reply so late, after 90+ others, but I to want to congratulate you on the great find. Call me a deamer, but I would sure like to find a colonial american piece up here, it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Also about digging through the modern stuff to get to the old. I came across a site that will no doubt be similar to that. Information tells me it goes back to 1800 anyway, but it is also covered with stuff probably to 1950. Well we'll see how that goes in 2011.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I ever found anything that old down here in Mississippi I believe I would fall out. :thumbsup: Those are some great finds for sure. That coin especially. Wow..Thats an old one. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah those large copper coins look awesome . Good going on the finds .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread