Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit another in town city owned lot today ! Really just an extra wide median / gully between two major 1 way streets in the city, 30 yards wide in places ! over a 100 yards long. I knew it was going to be trashy ! I also knew it was in an old part of town ! There was so many signals I was getting discouraged.I was digging nothing but clad and bottle tops and not really seeing any signs of of older activity and after an hour I was thinking about heading to a site that I have already done alot of the trash signal cleanup on when I got a good sounding tone and and at 6 inches down I turn out a couple of oyster shells and just underneath these I got the hand cuff ! It has been cut by the way ! I knew this was an encouraging sign. just a few feet from there I got another good tone and again about 6/7 inches out amongst the oyster shells pops a large cent. I knew right away by its size it was not a coronet and probably a colonial copper so I put it in a keeper bag and go back at it. About 10 yards away I get another decent hit and now have a half penny in my hand . Some #of clad and bottle tops later I find the thimble and finally the small buckle ! Checked my watch and it was time to leave. 2 and 1/2 hours of hunt time in and now I was feeling good about my hunt ! I drove home anxious to see what the 2 coppers were . I dumped my trash bag onto the driveway and pulled the clad out of my pocket which included a full roll of dimes I had also found this morning. 50 dimes in 1 hole ! As soon as I took the coppers out of the keeper bags to lay on top for photo the coins had dried a bit I could see the eagle and was very excited ! An 1788 commonwealth of Massachusetts cent to go with the Mass militia button I found 2 weeks ago !! Unbelievable !! I could get no detail off the 1/2 penny but the Mass copper is in pretty good shape !! Thanks for looking MaineRelic.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 7,150
  • IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 7,139
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 7,119
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 7,119
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 7,117
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 7,139
Upvote 1

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a very nice state copper! After looking for quite awhile I am fairly certain the variety is a Ryder 12-M. I was hoping it was a 7-M for you but the arrow point is too far down from the pleat to be that, so I see nothing else that is an exact match other than 12-M.

Key indicators for variety , the seventh pleat is clear of the leg, the point of arrow below tunic is about the length of the arrowhead. On the other side the spacing of the numbers in the date, the seven barbed arrows are widely spread and the last should be pointing to the period (which I am not sure I can see in the photo but looks correct spacing)

Don

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superb!! Beautiful patina and detail on that copper!! I have dug Vermont's, Connecticut's, New Jersey's, Virginia's, and even a Bermuda copper.....but we just don't see those Mass coppers here in PA :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to thank each and every one of you again for your kind remarks and voting this coin on the banner !! I have to say I was very surprised when I got home from my hunt after work and saw my coin on the BANNER !!! Thanks Again ! I love it when BIG COPPER hits the banner ! MaineRelic

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice looking old copper, congrats on a great find and making the banner! :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That copper withstood many years of mother nature and still appears to be in VERY very fine shape! Awesome!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
That's one SWEET copper! Just voted for banner! Lots of people indicated banner, but hasn't made it yet. (Remember: you must vote banner on the left side of the screen under Brian's first post.)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats bud :headbang: :headbang: :hello2: That's the BEST Massachusetts Copper that I've seen posted here on TreasureNet and she sure is a Beauty!!! :wink: :wink:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Congrats on a very nice state copper! After looking for quite awhile I am fairly certain the variety is a Ryder 12-M. I was hoping it was a 7-M for you but the arrow point is too far down from the pleat to be that, so I see nothing else that is an exact match other than 12-M.

Key indicators for variety , the seventh pleat is clear of the leg, the point of arrow below tunic is about the length of the arrowhead. On the other side the spacing of the numbers in the date, the seven barbed arrows are widely spread and the last should be pointing to the period (which I am not sure I can see in the photo but looks correct spacing)

Don
Thanks for the correction in Variety Don. I was looking at the "Coinfacts" site, and the pics are in B&W. So tough to accurately tell. I did my best. I NEED A BREEN BOOK, and will purchase a used one soon. :read2: :thumbsup: I also looked at the 12-M but thought the "1" was too high. His is off-set lower than the "7". Of course I'm looking at B&W plates too.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Re: Underneath all this stuff there are still colonial treasures ! Mass. cop

Outstanding Finds ! Way to go! your perserverence paid off with a great find ! Congrats on the banner ! Being in Florida, I haven't gotten into colonial coinage but what a great find ! Condition is amazing for a copper coin of that age.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner , MR :headbang: Magnificent Mass :o , my quest for Mass coins has been a dismal failure :P I have family up there so all is not LOsT Best to you pardner 8) " no Mass copper dawg" :icon_thumleft:

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An absolutely stunning coin and piece of history! :headbang: Congrats MaineRelic!! :hello2:

IM

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Good gravy, the stuff you out-easters find...

That coin looks like it went to ground no more than 10 years ago!
Could it have gone somehow from someone's collection to the site?

Well-dug! ..and well-struck by the minters.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
CMDiamonddawg said:
Congrats on the Banner , MR :headbang: Magnificent Mass :o , my quest for Mass coins has been a dismal failure :P I have family up there so all is not LOsT Best to you pardner 8) " no Mass copper dawg" :icon_thumleft:
i hear ya on that one dawg. i had to come back and look at that baby again. :laughing7: willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread