Between a Fence and Hard Place

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello again from the depths! Quite a fun little dig today once we found where the heck the Privy was located. Dug a shallow ash pit right off the bat but then got into the actual outhouse pit right behind the ash pit. Started out pretty good with a Bixby's Ink patented 1883. Those to me and Don are always a good sign of things to come. :thumbsup:

So we started the excavation with that and continued with a pickle and some other smaller utility bottles. The one was kinda neat that has the neck kinda sinking down into the bottle. :icon_scratch: Grabbed up a blob beer bottle and some cone inks. The standard Carters inks and blank cones. All fairly old stuff so that kept our hopes up. Kept finding the older clay marbles and buttons one of which a pic was taken insitu. Found a whole bunch of broken lamp glass and the usual mason lids. :(

Then Don uncovered a pint amber blob beer that was looking good in the pit. We were hoping it was intact and it was :headbang: It was a W & E Muessel from South Bend. A fairly rare bottle. :o Then of course he was out of the pit and it was my turn. Then I grabbed up another one. What a great pit this turned out to be. Snapped up several Hood's Sarsaparilla's and a couple of medicines. There were about three or four other broken beers in the pit but our average was pretty good today. As you can see we were stuck between a fence and a garage. Pretty tight quarters but it was well worth the 8 foot dig to soft seeds and wood ash. Now if I could just dig it back out and find that darned scraper I lost >:( Oh well, it was worth it and I will get another scraper on the next dig if the weather hold out. Have fun out there and be safe. ;D jgas

Attachments

• L 1.JPG
    L 1.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 786
  • L 2.JPG
    L 2.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 783
  • L 3.JPG
    L 3.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 785
  • L 4.JPG
    L 4.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 777
  • L 5.JPG
    L 5.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 786
  • L 6.JPG
    L 6.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 791
  • L 10.JPG
    L 10.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 794
  • L 9.JPG
    L 9.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 765
  • L 8.JPG
    L 8.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 778
  • L 7.JPG
    L 7.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 777
  • L 11.JPG
    L 11.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 785
  • L 12.JPG
    L 12.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 780
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A few more pics.....

Attachments

• L 14.JPG
    L 14.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 769
  • L 15.JPG
    L 15.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 775
  • L 16.JPG
    L 16.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 770

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I got to say is you guys are sure sure determined! I'd die if I tried to dig a hole that deep. But of course when I was much younger I suppose I could have? Really nice finds after all that hard work. Monty

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Looks like some good finds to me... Little to much work for my blood ;D

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a deep pit :o Sweet beer bottle and ink wells too. I didn't see any brick. How did you find this one?? Nice find and the ability to find them. Look forward to see what you find next :notworthy:

Northland Hunter

Oct 24, 2010
Värmland
Detector(s) used
XP Adventis II, Garrett Pro Pointer
WOW... Just make sure you didn´t made the foundation of that house unstable! :wink:
Really great finds however, congrats! ;D

// Erik

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bottles ..... dig it again to retrieve the tool.
Greetings! :thumbsup:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds!!!!!!! MR TUFF

boopchapman7456

Aug 24, 2007
illinois
Detector(s) used
ace 250
at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW You guys deserve a banner for just determination and digging a great hole!!!! The bottles are great ! :headbang: HH Boo

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jgas,
You guys are amazing. :o That hole looks DEEP!
Being A Hoosier, I'm loving that South Bend bottle. Sweet finds. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies everyone.
First off the pit was fairly easy to find because the yard was really small. There could have been really only a couple of places to put it other than possibly under the garage/carriage barn. And believe me we are vary safe as to how we dig and any possble cave ins. This particular pit was very hard and the first layer was full of bricks. There was really no fear as to it caving in. We have had one cave in before but that was a sandy area(sugar sand) and we knew it was coming and basically got out of the way for it. Never did finish that pit. Don't want to get hurt for a bottle!
I bought another scraper... :tongue3: The weather is great so far here and hopefully we can get another couple in before the snow. Boogidy boogidy boogidy lets go diggin boys!!!!
I see a ten footer in our future! Thanks again guys for the replies...Be safe.....Jgas

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Very nice! I found two (broken) of those St. Jakob OEL this week; it's amazing how much you learn when you dig and then study your diggin's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread