Hammered silvers from unbelievable depths!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
First, I want to thank my friend John from Montana who graciously offered to let me use his Minelab GPX-4000 to go back over the site here in SE Virginia where 23 hammered silver coins from 1563-1640 were dug about 3 years ago by my friends and I. I just knew after finding 2 scattered caches at this site, more could be found if a very deep seeking machine could be utilized. And John's claims of extreme depth were definitely validated today. After reading the manual a few times, adjusting the settings for this site, and making a couple of practice runs, I finally took it today for the first time to my old site. After about 30 minutes of going very slow over the exact area where one of the caches had been found, I got a very weak and somewhat erratic hi/lo tone, but it was for the most part repeatable. Definitely one worth investigating. Well, I kept digging and digging and the target was still in the hole. Finally the target popped out in the last shovel-full, and to my shock it was a 1606 James I sixpence. And it came from a measured depth of 22 inches!! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. It's probably 10" deeper than any coin-sized object I've ever dug. Very, very impressive!! Then about 20-30 min later I got another similar signal but it was a little more pronounced. Again, I dug and dug, and eventually pulled out another sixpence, this time a 1594 Elizabethan. And this one was 18" deep. I had several "close calls", but they were all larger and very deep iron. I've only just started to cover the area, so hopefully more will surface. Eventually I plan to take the time to dig some of the lo/hi's, which are usually small iron, but could also be a gold coin. Can't wait to get back!

Attachments

• 020611b.jpg
    020611b.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 2,166
  • 020611g.jpg
    020611g.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2,169
  • 020611e.jpg
    020611e.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,173
  • 020611f.jpg
    020611f.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 2,174
  • 020611d.jpg
    020611d.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,170
  • 020611a.jpg
    020611a.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 2,162
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner nomination sent. It must be an incredible rust to dig a 16th century silver on American soil.

Cheers,

Buckles

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cap'n Crunch said:
Awesome finds!! Beyond remarkable!! BANNER!!

On a side note, you should be getting unbelievable depths, considering its a $7000 machine.

$7000!! Who on earth can actually chunk that kind of cash out for a machine these days?! ::)
More like 5,595.00. That's the GPX5000 the GPX4800 is 4,995.00 shipped with 2 coils and a great package I offer! It has 8 machines in one control box. Seriously.

Just like everything else...You get what you pay for. That was my initial thought, "who is going to buy these machines at those prices?" But amazingly, I sell 3 a month, and the phone is ringing for them I've got them on payment plans. They are moving. They are finding gold and relics that are paying for the machines within the first Month. Crazy huh? Just like Bill here just proved to us. And yes Bill, that was awesome!!! To find those here. No other machine would have touched them. Just think of all the other stuff laying around like that?
I think if finding lucrative relics/coins or Cache's were my goal, I'd definitely consider it. Just like a car, you get what you pay for. Look how deep this find was. LOL "Here's your sign" :D And these types of finds are coming like that from all over the World now. I've seen it, I get the videos. Check out the video above I just posted. More proof.

I love it. I'm taking mine to the D.I.V. this year. I can't wait!

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Cap'n Crunch said:

On a side note, you should be getting unbelievable depths, considering its a $7000 machine.

$7000!! Who on earth can actually chunk that kind of cash out for a machine these days?! ::)
5,595.00 Just like everything else...You get what you pay for. That was my initial thought, "who is going to buy these at those prices?" But amazingly, I sell 3 a month at least. They are finding gold and relics that are paying for the machines.

I am very glad to hear that you are doing well with selling so many of those machines, you do have a real knack for success. I would absolutely love to buy one, but the last time I have had $5600 to blow was.......NEVER.

Also, I have been meaning to call you, would you like to get together to go out for a hunt one day soon? I dont live far from you.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cap'n Crunch said:
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Cap'n Crunch said:

5,595.00 Just like everything else...You get what you pay for. That was my initial thought, "who is going to buy these at those prices?" But amazingly, I sell 3 a month at least. They are finding gold and relics that are paying for the machines.

I am very glad to hear that you are doing well with selling so many of those machines, you do have a real knack for success. I would absolutely love to buy one, but the last time I have had $5600 to blow was.......NEVER.

Also, I have been meaning to call you, would you like to get together to go out for a hunt one day soon? I dont live far from you.
I hear ya man.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumright: "EXCELLENT" :icon_thumleft:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful hammered coins :notworthy: properly nothing earlier then those to be found Banner all the way !! Minelab and large coils prefect combo in fields, most farmers plow down 16 inches max so you must of dug those well below that :headbang: Great find Jim

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow great hammereds english people must of been around the USA qutie early :-\

the first hammered coin is a James 1st hammered which is a rarer one

and the second one is a Elizabeth 1st

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never know what down there till you dig it up. HH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coins and what a great tool for the right situation!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know what the approximate value of coins like these would be? Would the place of discovery impact the value? This is just so incredibly cool.......have I ever mentioned how much I love this hobby? ;D

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Hmmm.... maybe these hammered silver weren't dug in the U.S. after all..... the depth would seem to indicate..... CHINA!!! :thumbsup: :headbang:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe time to upgrade :-\

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
Does anyone know what the approximate value of coins like these would be? Would the place of discovery impact the value? This is just so incredibly cool.......have I ever mentioned how much I love this hobby? ;D

You can check Ebay but they aren't rare and not worth a great deal. Whether the location increases value, not in the books, but I think many people would pay a little more for a silver coin with Colonial history.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Roland58 said:

You can check Ebay but they aren't rare and not worth a great deal. Whether the location increases value, not in the books, but I think many people would pay a little more for a silver coin with Colonial history.

true not very high value coins less than £50 each, but you guys normal triple that with your love for history.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big 'thank you' to Patch and Crusader......I sure thought something like these would have commanded a much higher price (like Crusader was talking about, ;D )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread