This is why I Metal Detect

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I am spending this winter - almost over :-( - on Edisto Island, SC about 40 miles southeast of Charleston, SC. There are LOTS of plantations on Edisto Island and the entire island was abandoned when the Union troops moved in to begin the siege on Charleston in 1861. So there is Union stuff all over the Island as well as British military artifacts from both the war of 1812 and the Revolutionary War. So most people go after that. I tend to be a bit more interested in the history of the Plantations that began with King's Land Grants in the 1700's and particularly the ones that are still owned by the family.

I have been lucky enough to get permission to hunt a handful of these very historic plantations and help the landowner better understand the who, what, when, and where of their family land. The Civil War occupation was just a small slice of the history of these family plantations.

I was hunting today on the largest family owned plantation on the Island. I have found musket balls, 3-ringers, flat buttons, a US arrow hook Buckle, an 1832 seated Liberty dime, etc. The find today was different.

I was detecting a small road they use for their Gators when they hunt deer and coons. It is in the middle of planted pines and the compacted dirt is nice to detect. Much better than the 8" of pine straw in the planted pines. I had traveled about 100 yards down the road and had dug a musket ball made into a sinker or seine weight, a Tombac button, a flat trouser button, and then I dug a somewhat "iffy" signal down about 10". The "iffy" signal turned out to be not so "iffy" and I cleaned it off an put it in my pocket - not my pouch.

I hunted my way to the Plantation house where I was to meet the owner so he could show me where some old buildings used to be and where the slave cabins were. He actually met me in his Gator on the road leading to the main house. I asked him when his Grandfather was born. He said right at the turn of the century. I asked him when his Great Grandfather was born. He said he was born right after the Civil war. I asked him if he farmed the plantation. He said he did farm the land with his father. I asked him if they grew Sea Island Cotton. He said they grew that particular kind of cotton from when the family returned to the island in 1865 until the bowl weevil did all the cotton crops in.

I knew where the story was going so I kept at it.

I said that it makes sense that his Great Great Grandfather may have been farming Sea Island Cotton with his son towards the end of the 1800's. He said that they were and that his Great Great Grandfather had traveled to Atlanta and entered some of the Plantation's Sea Island Cotton in the 1895 Cotton States and International Exposition held there and had won an award for it.

I said I know. He looked at me and asked me how I knew.

I put the "Iffy" signal in his hand. He was speechless.

It was priceless.

This is why I metal detect.

Daryl

Attachments

• Lighter.jpg
    Lighter.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,975
Upvote 1

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome post Daryl! Is that a match case? Was anything in it? HH, Mike

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a beautiful piece of history-nice of you to do what you did! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:notworthy: You"re the "GREATEST" my brother. :notworthy:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great detecting detective work, twisted into a double tale. Congratulations on your find and return of a piece of family history. Arty

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post, thats a great iffy signal,I vote honorable mention :thumbsup:

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome story and Awesome Find.
Love that it happend in SC!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and story. :icon_thumleft:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome Daryl..... :thumbsup:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all thank you

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Congrats on the Banner! What a great story. A perfect place to place that was in his hands. Awesome job and again, Congrats on the well deserved Banner. :thumbsup: jgas

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome find man :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread