Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very rare South Carolina Militia button I recently dug

I just dug this super rare button at the recent NS TD hunt held in the lowcountry of South Carolina .For those that don't know, this button is one of the rarest South Carolina buttons in existence. A large SC collector said in all his years of collecting he's seen maybe only 4 or 5. He has a rather large SC collection but even he doesn't own one I know of a digger that found one over 10 yrs ago in Charleston and sold it for 5000.00 dollars back then. The latest Noth South civil war price guide lists it at 4000.00 +.I've only seen it in Aberts & Tice's button books but now I've dug one, pretty amazing. :laughing7: I read a little about this button and it said the unit that wore it was not from the northern part of the state like I thought but from the Charleston, area. It was made up of a small group of wealthy men perhaps less than 30 or 40. Tice's book says Scovill's made this exremely rare button for some SC militia in the 1840's. It was brought back to see the light of day after 150 yrs. Lost during the Oct.22nd 1862, battle of Pocotaligo, SC between 5000 Union troops under General Brannan & 5000 confderate forces under Walker.Brannans supply of cartridges gave out and his troops were getting the worst of the fight. Not able to reach his objective of the charleston & savannah RR he withdrew.Oh the stories this little beauty of a button could tell. I've dug a few rare buttons over the years but I believe this one's without a doubt my best button ever. Did I mention I dug it with my new Goldbug Pro, I love this detector ! Only 4 or 5 known oh yeah it's a good one :headbang:

Laszlo

Attachments

• scmback.jpg
    scmback.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 965
  • scmdirty.jpg
    scmdirty.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 979
  • scm.jpg
    scm.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 971
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Very rare South Carolina Militia button I recently dug

:headbang:
Pete you killed it again!! If you're gonna dig a rare SC militia, thats the one to dig! What an incredible piece of history from our state there bud! I'm voting BANNER! Congrats!!
Keith

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Show us the back mark!

Gotta love the history of the button. You seem to be interested in the rarity of the button and I'm not sure you know the "ranking" of it.

Albert's SC1A1 is probably the rarest, then
Albert's SC17A
Albert's SC17A1
Albert's SC18A
Albert's SC17As
Albert's SC17Av
Albert's SC22A

And then Albert's SC24A the one you found.

Always a thrill to find a great button.

Daryl

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi My Fellow TH'ers
It is always super to find any intact button but what a thrill to find a Beautiful Confederate and such a rare one at that! WOW! Is all I can say! Congrats from Virginia. I sure would hit that area over and over and dig every signal I hear.
Good luck on more great finds.
Dave
'Digger-Dave'
THing4CSA
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

clovis97 said:
Awesome find! Are you going to keep it, or sell it?

I'm going to keep it. I'd never find another one so it's kinda hard to part with a find that's one of a kind. Unless it's life changing money I'm keeping my relics.Might sell them one day but not now. What this would bring isnt life changing money so I'd much rather have the button. If I sold it I'd blow the money on something stupid and wouldnt have anything to show for it. I know did it yrs ago already.

Laszlo

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

For some reason your mailbox is full and there is no way to send you a message.

Might want to check it out.

Daryl

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! Super find Pete!! Congratulations my friend!!!

You have found some very rare, unique, and quite amazing relics and coins over the years. This is just another amazing find to add to all your other accomplishments. Keep em coming!

IM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread