1st ring - good, bad, then good again....

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the beach early this morning for my second trip hunting ocean sand. I'm slowly learning all the different aspects of ocean beach hunting - best time of day, what the "cut" is, how to deal with really wet sand and finding things etc...

About an hour into it, I got a signal that indicated possible pulltab, but since it's so easy to dig in sand I was digging everything other than iron and about 8 inches down I found my first ring ever!!!!

It's nothing too fancy - 10K high school class ring but I was excited. I didn't want to attract alot of attention, so I just let my heart beat, dumped it into my goodie bag and set off again. Finally after finding lots of clad over the next couple hours too many swimmers started getting in my way and I headed back to the car to inspect the ring. Here is why I titled the thread as I did...

Good - my first ever ring and although it was nothing too fancy, it still was gold :)

Bad - after looking it over closely I found there was a name inscribed inside as well as a graduation year - as much as I wanted to keep my first ever ring, I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night if I didn't at least make an honest effort to find the owner.

Good - I did a little internet searching when I got home and found the kids name although I wasn't about to pay one of those services for an address and phone number. He was actually listed in a couple sports articles about his baseball play in 2001 and 2002. I came across 2 women in the city he went to high school with the same last name and managed to find their phone numbers. Called the first one and got no answer. Called the second one and this rude woman answered the phone very sharply. I apologized for bothering her and asked if she had a relative with the name I had on the ring. She got very evasive with me and angry and asked "who is this!!!" I told her my name and where I lived and said I had just found this young man's ring at the beach that morning. Her tone immediately changed and she told me the boy is her nephew and he was actually there since he slept over that night with her son. I heard her yelling to him in the background and she asked him where his class ring was, then I heard her say "well there's a man on the phone who found your ring." He got on the phone and was astounded that I had found it. He lost it a couple weeks ago at the beach and said that he was deep in the water - deep enough that he couldn't stand up. I told him where and how I found it and that it was either washed in with the waves or more likely it was where he dropped it, but I was able to find it when the tide went out.

Needless to say I'll be returning it to him tomorrow and he was ecstatic and amazed that he was going to get it back.

I wish I was able to have kept this first ring, but in the long run I know I'm going to find lots more better ones and it does make me feel good to be able to help out this kid :).

Enjoy the 2 pictures.

Attachments

• 1st ring.jpg
    1st ring.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 8,310
  • 1st ring2.jpg
    1st ring2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 8,355
Upvote 1

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how it feels to find that first class ring. Great! I found one and even chased down the guy whose initials were in the ring. He said it wasn't his because he didn't buy one! So, I got to keep it although it is of no use to me. The only thing I can figure is that he ordered it and didn't pay for it so it was used as a sample by the Balfour Company....and they lost it or.....he may have been somewhere he wasn't supposed to be! :D Very strange outcome to say the least. Glad you had the opportunitiy to return yours. Monty

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
There's nothing "bad" about this,
it is all good for real.
Congrats on the great find
and thank you for doing the right thing.
You will be rewarded forever for it.
I have found over a hundred gold rings in my time TH'ing,
most I cannot remember (a lot were lost in a theft)
but I definitely remember the four rings
that I was able to return to their former owners.
The stories behind how they lost them,
and the sound of their voices very happy and thankful.
those rewards are with me for my lifetime,
all the other stuff is water under the bridge.

Congrats again!

Smiles!
BDoo

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate sounding too pessimistic, but after 30+ years of being a Cub fan, the phrase "not in my lifetime" is becoming more and more realistic, but thanks for the kind words

Cubfan, don't get too down. You're talking to a Red Sox fan here. If they can break their curse, so can the Cubs!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Cubfan....what comes around, goes around. Watch for the 14K Gold 4K diamond ring to come your way without an inscription...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice ring,

You did the right thing. It will come back to you.

HH Jer

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
C64,

congrat on your first ring.

You got the photo to remember it.

You did the right thing; good finds will come your way.

have a good un.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread