drained 1920s lake...wheats, 1920s bottle, etc..

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
drained 1920's lake...wheats, 1920's bottle, etc..

There is a lake I've been researching in my area that used to be a resort w/ hotel, docks, hang out areas. The problem is there is TOO much trash in the area and when I detect I get a hand-ful of signals. I dug beside the dock...found 3 pennies...1962, 1991, and 1926 red wheat penny! I have pictures and more info on where more stuff is...where should I be looking and where on the meter on my ACE250 should I be looking to find old coins!!!?!?!?!?! Please let me know...I'm going back tomorrow!
thanks
Justin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
Re: drained 1920's lake...wheats, 1920's bottle, etc..

Ok...I've hunted just the dock of the lake for the last 2 days...for around 4 hours total. EVERYTHING is grown up right now so I can not get to anything until it dies! When should I expect this stuff to start falling and freeing up space for me to detect?! As far as my finds go I've found a 26, 44, 55d, and 56 wheat penny...SEVERAL newer pennies (64, 66,71, 96). I also found a 1920 Orange Crush bottle, as well as SEVERAL other old bottles, cans, pull-tabs, bike, shoes, metal bars? I haven't really covered any of this lake due to high weeds EVERYWHERE. But I did manage to find out where the old hotel, lake houses, dam, etc. used to stand. ANY SUGGESTIONS?!!?!? I want silver and other older coins where should I expect to find this stuff besides the dock?!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

If you have access to old pictures, look for possible areas on land and also look for possible swimming areas. Remember a little bit of research goes a long way towards finding the treasure amongst the trash. HH!

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X

If were close .. maybe I could come hunt .. and show you how to find the silver.
Curious, what do you mean .. 1926 red wheat cent, are you saying it was red .. like a new
penny.

If there is anyway you can get access to old pictures of the lake, maybe the library.
There may have been some floating platforms out a little further where people would swim
out to and dive off. We had platforms like that on lakes in michigan when I was a kid.
If there was a beach area, where people would lay in the sand then go out in the water
thise too would be a good area.

old Tom

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

WOW....interesting site you found.....

I don't know where I would start....so many good choices :)

Maybe the hotel area and the lake houses. I hope you stop finding lots of trash and start pulling up amazing finds.

Good luck and HH....Ann

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Luck I don't have an ACE 250 but you might want to try differant sensitivety levels . You may want to pose that Question to the ACE 250 people..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread