Now that I have found all the parts to the stove.....

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 399
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 395
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, quite the project mlw.
That's really cool.
Not too many of us can say
they found an old wood stove
TH'ing. Now what are you going to do?

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
What am I going to do with it now? Uh....Um....Well I hadn't thought that far. ROFL! I guess its lawn art for awhile, eh?

I have all the pieces to the top and little missing pieces, too, but I couldn't get them to stay for the picture.

O

Ole Mole

mlw67 said:
What am I going to do with it now? Uh....Um....Well I hadn't thought that far. ROFL! I guess its lawn art for awhile, eh?

Well you could put it next to one of these.......

Attachments

• toiletplanter_thumb.jpg
    toiletplanter_thumb.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 301
M

mchamby

Wow your really starting to heat the place up with that find, sorry couldn't help myself.
If your going for yard art, get a small section of pipe and put several two inch holes around it at 3 different hights and plant some viney flowers in it, I think that would look neat, Your flowers would be the smoke. :D
HH
Mchamby

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude water that lawn............ :D

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Been following your stories on your hunts...CONGRATS.....on the stove!!! What a find!!

So, what time is dinner?

HH........Ann

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I love it . You did a great job. I have that missing top piece you need.Now plant some flowers in it and it will look great!

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
That was a lot of digging ML. I switched from a small trowel to a full handled shovel for one dig and THAT was a lot of work for three 3' pieces of iron. Can't imagine a stove.
My grandfather worked for a gas service company during WWII and they removed alot of cast iron stoves in place of gas. Because of the War effort the old cast stoves were smashed for scrap. Years later He felt kinda bad about all the beautiful antiques he had to dispose of. Different times require different solutions.
congrats & HH

OP
OP
mlw67

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
dekalb33 said:
dude water that lawn............ :D

LOL! It hasn't rained here in like a jillion years. And this is supposed to be a rainy place??

rtde3 said:
Good job putting that thing back together. It is pretty neat looking! Maybe treat that thing with some rust reformer that will turn it back to black again. (After you wire brush the heck out of it.)

Thanks! I've been watching for one of those wire brush thingies at the sales. I've seen a couple of smaller ones with fixed guards, but I'm looking for a big open one.

Mirage said:
That is cool. You did a nice job except...did you wash those pieces off before putting it together?

I washed them off with a nozzled hose and a scrub brush, but you couldn't tell unless you had seen them when they first came out of the ground.

ronandann said:
Been following your stories on your hunts...CONGRATS.....on the stove!!! What a find!!

So, what time is dinner?

HH........Ann

Thanks Ann! Believe me, you don't want my cooking. I could burn cold cereal.

gypsyheart said:
I love it . You did a great job. I have that missing top piece you need.Now plant some flowers in it and it will look great!

Thanks! I've got the top pieces (and I do mean 'pieces'), but if I put flowers in it I think I will leave it open. And move it somewhere else.

Blackjack77 said:
That was a lot of digging ML. I switched from a small trowel to a full handled shovel for one dig and THAT was a lot of work for three 3' pieces of iron. Can't imagine a stove.
My grandfather worked for a gas service company during WWII and they removed alot of cast iron stoves in place of gas. Because of the War effort the old cast stoves were smashed for scrap. Years later He felt kinda bad about all the beautiful antiques he had to dispose of. Different times require different solutions.
congrats & HH

Thank you!

Most of these pieces were 6" to 8" deep, and yeah--it was quite a chore digging them all up. A labor of love, I guess.....and the hope that the pieces were masking old coins.... ;) :D

I'm shuddering at the thought of how many of those old stoves they scrapped in the 40s. This same stove that I found, if it were in like-new refinished condition would sell for about $3,000 on today's market. Of course, if they hadn't scrapped them all that value would probably be a lot less.

--------

Thanks again everyone for the great comments!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread