Crazy Cool sword.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
I found this sword about three inches down in salem VA about three days ago,Its crazy cool and defiantly old but i dont think it is civil war era.Any idea what kind of sword this is? The place i found it was kind of strange. It was at an old pole barn site that was recently torn down for home construction.Its defiantly a hammered blade but it isnt a complete double edged sword.Its a full edge on the bottom and only about eight inches of the top leading to the tip is sharpened. Any help identifying this thing will be greatly appreciated,But either way this thing is probably my best sword find to date.

Attachments

• DSC018688.jpg
    DSC018688.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • DSC01864.jpg
    DSC01864.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,710
  • DSC01865rf.jpg
    DSC01865rf.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,703
  • DSC018688.jpg
    DSC018688.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,674
Upvote 0

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a hole in the handle, In pic#2.. From being shot... Maybe

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find...but it looks like a "fantasy" type sword...although I know little about the subject matter.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
poorhunter78 said:
Is that a hole in the handle, In pic#2.. From being shot... Maybe
I have no clue, this thing was defiantly used though,I cleaned it out, there was no lead or anything in the handle,Just a bunch of mud or cow poop lol,Who knows......I dont want to know to be honest.Especially considering where i found it lol.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
a pic of the other side of the handle.

Attachments

• DSC018667 (548x411).jpg
    DSC018667 (548x411).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,649

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The handle of the sword is Indian in design (Eastern Indian).

If it is old.... you've got a real treasure

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
This sword is defiantly old, Probably my oldest to date, I have a civil war era sword that i found in Columbus GA in 2007. But what interests me the most about this sword here is that even the handle has hammer marks as if it were hammered and some how assembled together,The blade runs solid through the handle,That cap in pic 1 is what mounts te blade to the handle,It is very loose though,Ive looked thissword over and there is no type of trademark anywhere on it. i mean absolute ZILCH. Im almost 99 percent positive this sword predates the civil war. The wierd thing is that when the T2 hit on it, It gave a coper signal that was very high. I thought at first it was going to be old saddle stirrups or something because of where i found it.But i cant see any copper on this thing.Even air testing it sounds off as copper on the handle. I dont know because there is no petina or anything on it like i usually see on old copper finds. :dontknow: :icon_scratch: beat me,either way this thing is cool as can be and i plan on keeping it.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I was referring to India the country.

You see this type of handle on many different blade style variations. Many times the handle is guilded.

Does the blade look like it is pattern welded steel aka "Damascus"?

heres one from the net

col130.jpg

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
It doesnt appear to be welded at all, the handle appears to be a solid hammered piece and then bent to form. Then the cap added to the end to mount the blade. I have no clue about this one.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
DevilDog812 said:
very cool find :)
just googling i found that it is a tulwar type sword. indian (the country) definitely
Thats what i was told earlier in a post as well,Thanks for giving me the tulwar reference,Im going to see what i can dig up about this thing. Thanks man.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
This sword is without a doubt a tulwar sword,Anywhere from the late 18th century to the early nineteenth century. Koolest thing i have ever found to date is either this sword or a platinum ring at myrtle beach. But the ring was a womans ring (figures.....).lol. So the sword would have to be my favorite of the two.

Whats crazy is about it is that some redneck like myself was probably using it to slaughter hogs n chickens LOL

Many Thanks to Devildog and LakeMonster for helping me identify this thing.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to be a downer but I would bet that it is a reproduction. The blade is in very good shape for having potentially been in the ground since the early 1800s. Again, I know little about the subject matter at hand. Are there any maker's marks?

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky13 said:
This sword is without a doubt a tulwar sword,Anywhere from the late 18th century to the early nineteenth century. Koolest thing i have ever found to date is either this sword or a platinum ring at myrtle beach. But the ring was a womans ring (figures.....).lol. So the sword would have to be my favorite of the two.

Whats crazy is about it is that some redneck like myself was probably using it to slaughter hogs n chickens LOL

Many Thanks to Devildog and LakeMonster for helping me identify this thing.
The hole in the side of the handle still has me..... :icon_scratch: Well one thing about it: Never Take A Knife To A Gunfight...

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
romeo-1 said:
I don't want to be a downer but I would bet that it is a reproduction. The blade is in very good shape for having potentially been in the ground since the early 1800s. Again, I know little about the subject matter at hand. Are there any maker's marks?
This sword is defiantly not a reproduction but i have never seen one like this,Before i cleaned this sword to the shape its in now and the damage and petina to the blade definitely suggests it to be authentic,I have found civil war swords an remnants there of in better condition than this one. The forged brazing is definetly and indictation this sword is authentic,as well as the pitting and discoloration to the blade in areas,The only way to achieve this in reproduction is with gasoline but it leaves a swirl mark in the metal which there is not. But if you new a thing or two about reproduction as you say,You already know this. This sword is made of steel and there is know way to reproduce this in its current condition unless they have a magical process of speeding up time,If thats the case maybe they can speed up the election and get obama out of office. This sword may or may not have been in the ground of the barn for its entire existance but im without a doubt one hundred percent positive this sword is authentic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread