Crazy Cool sword.

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
I found this sword about three inches down in salem VA about three days ago,Its crazy cool and defiantly old but i dont think it is civil war era.Any idea what kind of sword this is? The place i found it was kind of strange. It was at an old pole barn site that was recently torn down for home construction.Its defiantly a hammered blade but it isnt a complete double edged sword.Its a full edge on the bottom and only about eight inches of the top leading to the tip is sharpened. Any help identifying this thing will be greatly appreciated,But either way this thing is probably my best sword find to date.

Attachments

• DSC018688.jpg
    DSC018688.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • DSC01864.jpg
    DSC01864.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,710
  • DSC01865rf.jpg
    DSC01865rf.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,703
  • DSC018688.jpg
    DSC018688.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,674
Upvote 0

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky13 said:
romeo-1 said:
I don't want to be a downer but I would bet that it is a reproduction. The blade is in very good shape for having potentially been in the ground since the early 1800s. Again, I know little about the subject matter at hand. Are there any maker's marks?
This sword is defiantly not a reproduction but i have never seen one like this,Before i cleaned this sword to the shape its in now and the damage and petina to the blade definitely suggests it to be authentic,I have found civil war swords an remnants there of in better condition than this one. The forged brazing is definetly and indictation this sword is authentic,as well as the pitting and discoloration to the blade in areas,The only way to achieve this in reproduction is with gasoline but it leaves a swirl mark in the metal which there is not. But if you new a thing or two about reproduction as you say,You already know this. This sword is made of steel and there is know way to reproduce this in its current condition unless they have a magical process of speeding up time,If thats the case maybe they can speed up the election and get obama out of office. This sword may or may not have been in the ground of the barn for its entire existance but im without a doubt one hundred percent positive this sword is authentic.

No, I said I know little (meaning nothing) of the subject matter of swords or reproductions thereof. I missed the part of where it was found in the floor of what was a barn so that could account for the condition.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not is a sword, in spanish called the Sable , differ in that one has a straight edge and the other has the curved edge ..... An amazing find for their good state of preservation .... congratulations! :thumbsup:
H

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
That is really, really interesting. Probably belonged to some collector and his grandson took it out to play Lawrence of Arabia, lol.
Great find!!!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
littlebill31 said:
That is really, really interesting. Probably belonged to some collector and his grandson took it out to play Lawrence of Arabia, lol.
Great find!!!
Yes, I also think it's an old piece of collection that was lost later..... ::)
H

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything is possible.

This very well could be as old as has been stated. Belonged to a person who traveled the world, sailor or soldier in the British Army. Settled in the US. His grandson went off to the CW carrying that sword. Could be CW usage. Found in VA anything is possible.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
That's one of the things I love about MD'ing and finding relics. Where have they been? What did they see? How did they get where they slept, silently, until unearthed?

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat find :icon_thumleft: i agree the dry soil under a barn kept it in good shape!! MR TUFF

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic!

I'd love to hear the appraisal on this thing. Keep us posted. :)

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw lots of those in Agfhanistan, but cool sword though :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
GioTheGreek said:
Fantastic!

I'd love to hear the appraisal on this thing. Keep us posted. :)
I`ll probably hvae it appraised someday but i dont plan on selling it at this point.

OP
OP
Lucky13

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
IAsoldier said:
I saw lots of those in Agfhanistan, but cool sword though :icon_thumleft:
So these are common in afghanistan an surrounding areas as well? Operation desert storm could be a probable reason of how it wound up here in VA or even from afghanistan during the cold war era when we were over there. :dontknow: Thanks for the information. I just really like this thing,Its probably the koolest weapon i have found to date. I have a seriously oxidized musket barrel and flintlock parts with like three slivers of wood that used to be the stock of the weapon lol,from maury river in roanoke VA,The weapon itsself is worthless but its a treasure to me just because im the one who found it . Im mainly just a coin shooter but every now and again i find something else worth keeping.

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
I be damned,that is a good relic! As they say, i would not be shocked if you find a chest with gold at that site :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks authentic and at least old! Sometimes relics are well preserved in the dirt, I found some hand made square nails today from the early 1700s and a few crossbow bolt tips from the 1400s, all in very nice condition. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread