Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recently received permission to hunt the now wooded fields of a huge 1790's farmhouse with a big barn out back . There is not much left of the original farm land due to urban sprawl . There is a convenience store on what would have been one of the prime metal detecting spots right along Route 1 . The House is empty and is starting to fall into disrepair . The big old Barn is still holding up ok ! I made a site visit / test dig there wensday after work for about an hour. I did not find much then but noticed the barn sat quite high up on it;s stone foundation so I called the owner back and asked if he minds If I crawl under the barn to look for old bottles ect.. and he said no problem. so today I got up very early and gave it a go , The woods dirt was dry and hard from our recent heat wave so I don't feel I did as well as I could have detecting but I made a few finds out of the dirt . Under the Barn I managed to find pieces of an old harness with the snaffle bit still mounted to the bridal . the big brass buckle was found in the dirt right underneath the bridal :thumbsup: . Now this made me really start checking out the tops of the beams and low and behold I saw these paddles tucked up on top of a hand hewn beam where there was quite a depression under the barn . At first I thought they were for grooming a horse but the reverse said No 6 wool . So I figured they used it to brush a sheep after it was sheared . Nope ! WRONG AGAIN ! After getting home and go-ogling it they are wool cards. Used in a pair to separate and straiten the wool to prepair it for the spinning wheel , The William Whittmore Co, was established in 1799 in West Cambridge MA. Now Arlington Mass. Amos Whittmore was given a patent for the method of manufacturing the wire bristles to card the wool. The Factory burned in 1862 . I have not been able to obtain an accurate date of manufacturing of these particular cards any more info would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks for looking ! MaineRelic.

Attachments

• IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, you are getting into the 1700s with those buckle pieces! HH, Mike

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting finds MR!!! The old lock is cool and you were rewarded with some good relics. The wool cards are something I have not seen before. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Very nice finds, you are getting into the 1700s with those buckle pieces! HH, Mike
Thanks Mike ! Here is a pic of a button I dug on my test dig on Wensday ! Late 18th early 19th also I believe ! Thanks for looking ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_2136.JPG
    IMG_2136.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 580

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice stuff! what do ya mean a test dig? just a random spot to dig with no detector?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those ARE some neat finds! What is on the other badge? And the button... :icon_thumright: ...gotta love that button. Hope ya get some good rain and cooler temps so ya can go back for more! Terrific finds! :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Very interesting finds MR!!! The old lock is cool and you were rewarded with some good relics. The wool cards are something I have not seen before. HH, Quindy.
Thanks Quindy ! I had not seen the wool cards before either ! This hobby never stops teaching you about history :thumbsup: M.R.
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I LOOOOOVE exploring old barns. Give it another go and I bet you come home with more finds :icon_thumleft:

VPR
Thanks packrat ! Next good rain I will be right back out there ! M.R.
Woodland Detectors said:
:hello:

Man that Badge cleaned up sweet Dave. Good to see you posting buddy
Thanks Mike ! I was due to get out and find something !
romeo-1 said:
Some cool finds there...what is the other badge?
It is a steel badge that says private detective and looks to have the Maine state seal in the center
Lucky13 said:
is that badge sterling silver? Some really kool finds man,Thanks for sharing them.
[/quote Thanks lucky ! I wish it was silver !The badge looks to be stainless steel M.R.
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
nice stuff! what do ya mean a test dig? just a random spot to dig with no detector?
I went for an hour and cherry picked what looked to be prime spots just to get a feel of what and how much I am going to find on a serious 4 or 5 hour hunt !
Nana40 said:
Those ARE some neat finds! What is on the other badge? And the button... :icon_thumright: ...gotta love that button. Hope ya get some good rain and cooler temps so ya can go back for more! Terrific finds! :icon_pirat:
Thanks Nana ! looking forward to a return trip :wink: M.R.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You did really well today Dave! :icon_thumright:

Kudos to you for having the energy and the drive to