Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove around looking for a field to hunt today for over half an hour, wasn’t looking good as the grass fields were too tall, harvested winter wheat fields already planted and then there was the stubble fields that had a good 6”. Kept seeing the castle site so I thought I would give it a try. Not much has changed in the past few weeks so I went over the same areas and I also hit the 80 degree slope, that slope was tough, I would dig foot holes so I could get up higher and not slide down. There were a lot of people there today, they didn’t bother me until one person asked me what I was finding so I showed him the finds, then before I knew it, a small crowd gathered around and I was playing tourist guide. Showed them the finds and told them some of the history of the castle, was actually fun. I also promoted our museum and told them of my display. Here’s the finds, a pile of nails and ceramic pieces. Ceramic pieces are everywhere in every hole I dig and there are also bones in every hole.
24Jul11Rest.jpg

A gardening tool, 6”/15cm long, I would think it is old but could be newer.
24Jul11GardTool.jpg

Obverse of a nice little silver coin, no ID on it yet but it has a medieval look about it.
24Jul11SilO.jpg

Reverse of the coin.
24Jul11SilR.jpg

Three cross bow bolt tips and a small cannon ball that is about 2”/5cm. There is a sliver of wood I found when cleaning the bolt tips near the coin. The cannon ball I think was inside of a much larger ball that was launched by a catapult. Had a really good day considering I almost went home because I couldn’t find a place to detect, LOL. HH, Mike
24Jul11BtipBall.jpg

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Castle hunt...

Bones? :-X Yipes!
You could hunt anywhere and find something interesting, Mike! :D Always the good stuff on your posts. :thumbsup:

Nana~

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are some great finds! The crossbow bolts are very nice!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes! The bolt tips are in very good shape! Silver is nice too! Good to have a site like that this time... Its the same over here... but i dont have a castle!

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

Really love your posts about the old castle and all the neat things you find,my favorites are the crossbow tips and the caltrops. I think its great you are making such an effort to inform others about the history of the place,without people like you history is slowly lost,with no knowlege of our past our future is grim indeed,hh...shoot

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awesome finds! Thanks for the great pics.!

Next time you're in Erlangen stop in at George's and have a beer! That was our main G.I. hang during out after duty hours! :occasion14:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very good results for one hour of hunting, Medieval hammered is very interesting and investigate these coins of German Medieval period, of which I have no knowledge . :thumbsup:

H

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool looking hammered :headbang:

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammered coin IDed. A Heller from the town of Görlitz Germany, minted in Görlitz under the Kaiser Sigismund from Luxemburg 1378-1437. HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Hammered coin IDed. A Heller from the town of Görlitz Germany, minted in Görlitz under the Kaiser Sigismund from Luxemburg 1378-1437. HH, Mike

Nice :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread