Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Back...With My Best Coin Yet

Hello everyone! Long time!

As some of you know, I moved off Long Island last year, and headed upstate; I'm just outside of Lake George these days, and have been working hard to learn the new spots and do the research. After some minor wins last year (1-pound cannon ball, handful of musket balls) it's been really heating up for me lately, and yesterday I made my best coin find to date.

I was hunting some pretty dense woods that run along an old military road here that was used during the French & Indian War, close to several battle/ambush sites. I got one of those weird hunches to turn left instead of right, and about two feet after changing direction I hit a nice dime-type signal with my DFX. It was really shallow -- only about an inch and a half -- so I used my hands to brush away the dirt (didn't even bother digging), so you can imagine my surprise when a pristine 1724F 2 Reale "Cross Pistareen" popped up!

The detail on it is pretty fantastic. Although I'd like to think it was dropped during one of the battles there in 1755, I just don't know if it would've withstood 31 years of circulation and still be in the condition it's in today. But at any rate, it's now the oldest silver I've found (prior record holder was my 1738 1 Reale Pistareen) and is tied with my 1724 Charles II halfpenny as my oldest coin overall. Not a bad day of hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,844
  • 20111009140049b.jpg
    20111009140049b.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11,291
  • 20111009140351b.jpg
    20111009140351b.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 11,297
  • IMG_6808b.jpg
    IMG_6808b.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 11,254
  • IMG_6805b.jpg
    IMG_6805b.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 11,250
  • IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,843
Upvote 6

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm Back...With My Best Coin Yet

Beautiful 2 Cross ! most of all woods finds are shallow except for ax heads and horseshoes Congrats on the Banner find :thumbsup: Jim

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find!, Good thing no tool was needed, i would have been a shame to mark it..HH
:headbang: :headbang:

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac

all i can say is wow... thats impressive!! damn nice find keep sweepin that place!!

neil

tmanly

May 28, 2010

Fantastic find and condition. Thanks for sharing. It gives us hope to see that stuff like this is still in the ground.

Tom in SC

kudo623

Jun 24, 2011
Quakertown PA
Detector(s) used
Garret GTI 2500 2BOX
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Looks like it just came from a banks safe deposit box.

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumleft:Beautiful find , how do you top that now? :icon_thumright:

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well, now that's something!!-- this helps in identifying the coin I found two years ago and that also was my best 'positive I.D.ed' coin. I'll try to get a photo up a little later, I have no camera, with the short story of it. p.s.-- mine is in a bit worse shape--

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Is very strange ::) ..... the silver coins more than 200 years create a black patina very difficult to clean .... even some people have to use electrochemical techniques to clean ... but you coin appeared completely brilliant and superficially .

In spite of all, congratulations on the Banner! :thumbsup:
H

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW-----THATS UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other

CoilFisher said:
Not a bad find?

Thats like banner material.

I wont even KNOW anyone in my lifetime that will find something like that.

How many people find them in a day? Out of the million people metal detecting everyday? One? none?
Reale = Banner. In my professional opinion. :tongue3:

Legendary find. I wish you many more like it in the future.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HISPAN said:
Is very strange ::) ..... the silver coins more than 200 years create a black patina very difficult to clean .... even some people have to use electrochemical techniques to clean ... but you coin appeared completely brilliant and superficially .

H

Absolutely not. I have seen MANY dug silver coins over 200 years old that were not black. Just because they turn black where you find them doesn't mean they turn black everywhere. This coin stands out because of the great detail, and in no way should it be suggested there is something funny going on. You're way off base with those comments.

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is in amazing shape. Congrats on an awesome find!!!

Briar-patch

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2011

Iron Patch said:
HISPAN said:

H

Absolutely not. I have seen MANY dug silver coins over 200 years old that were not black. Just because they turn black where you find them doesn't mean they turn black everywhere. This coin stands out because of the great detail, and in no way should it be suggested there is something funny going on. You're way off base with those comments.

I'll ditto that. In Japan, on top of a small mountain, in the soil of a shrine ruins, I dug out what at first I thought was an American dime... silver shining through the dirt like it was a new coin just dropped there. I imagined a WWII US pilot flipping out of his bomber for good luck as he went into a bomb run on Tokyo. (I have a big imagination). As I brushed it off I found it was a Meiji 10 sen silver coin with a beautiful dragon design in the center.... beautiful almost mint condition. I checked the coin book in Japan, it was about 200 years old and worth about $150.00 at that time. Must be worth more by now. I have also dug WWII 100 yen silver coins with a phoenix design that were 100% silver out of a very large park in Tokyo that were not as shiny as the 200 year old Meiji dragon coin, but they were not black at all. So, it must depend on the silver content, type of soil. I think silver in the ocean turns black because of the salt water... silver bars, coins that Kip Wagner (not sure of the name) was finding washed up on a Florida beach and was skipping the waves with until he took one home and cleaned it up and discovered what they were... pieces of eight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread