Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Back...With My Best Coin Yet

Hello everyone! Long time!

As some of you know, I moved off Long Island last year, and headed upstate; I'm just outside of Lake George these days, and have been working hard to learn the new spots and do the research. After some minor wins last year (1-pound cannon ball, handful of musket balls) it's been really heating up for me lately, and yesterday I made my best coin find to date.

I was hunting some pretty dense woods that run along an old military road here that was used during the French & Indian War, close to several battle/ambush sites. I got one of those weird hunches to turn left instead of right, and about two feet after changing direction I hit a nice dime-type signal with my DFX. It was really shallow -- only about an inch and a half -- so I used my hands to brush away the dirt (didn't even bother digging), so you can imagine my surprise when a pristine 1724F 2 Reale "Cross Pistareen" popped up!

The detail on it is pretty fantastic. Although I'd like to think it was dropped during one of the battles there in 1755, I just don't know if it would've withstood 31 years of circulation and still be in the condition it's in today. But at any rate, it's now the oldest silver I've found (prior record holder was my 1738 1 Reale Pistareen) and is tied with my 1724 Charles II halfpenny as my oldest coin overall. Not a bad day of hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,845
  • 20111009140049b.jpg
    20111009140049b.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11,292
  • 20111009140351b.jpg
    20111009140351b.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 11,298
  • IMG_6808b.jpg
    IMG_6808b.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 11,255
  • IMG_6805b.jpg
    IMG_6805b.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 11,251
  • IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,844
Upvote 6
Jun 12, 2008
Traveling USA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, V3I, Minelab Xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, 4500, Explorer, E-trac,Xterra705, Garrett GTI 2500I, Sea Hunter,Infinium, Gold, Garrett ATPro, Fisher F75, Gold Bug, Two Box, Electroscope, Regulat
Great Find!

This is a great find on an old coin. You hit the jackpot on this one. What detector were you swinging? I have been swinging since 1970 and I have personally dug thousands of silver coins that were not at all blackened. However near the sea they can get some of the mineral salts to effect the patina of the coin and cause them to blacken.
Now just go for the gold!
Tim

Attachments

• treasuresdownunder web jpeg sm.png
    treasuresdownunder web jpeg sm.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 8,055

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Re: I'm Back...With My Best Coin Yet

what a find, very nice.

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Great Find!

Treasures Down Under said:
This is a great find on an old coin. You hit the jackpot on this one. What detector were you swinging? I have been swinging since 1970 and I have personally dug thousands of silver coins that were not at all blackened. However near the sea they can get some of the mineral salts to effect the patina of the coin and cause them to blacken.
Now just go for the gold!
Tim

Tim,

I use a White's DFX, with my own custom program.

I hear you on the gold. It's on my list!

HH,
B

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on a truly outstanding find. I can only dream of finding one that nice. Thanks for sharing the experience with the rest of us.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Briar-patch said:
Iron Patch said:
HISPAN said:
Is very strange ::) ..... the silver coins more than 200 years create a black patina very difficult to clean .... even some people have to use electrochemical techniques to clean ... but you coin appeared completely brilliant and superficially .

In spite of all, congratulations on the Banner! :thumbsup:
H

Absolutely not. I have seen MANY dug silver coins over 200 years old that were not black. Just because they turn black where you find them doesn't mean they turn black everywhere. This coin stands out because of the great detail, and in no way should it be suggested there is something funny going on. You're way off base with those comments.

I'll ditto that. In Japan, on top of a small mountain, in the soil of a shrine ruins, I dug out what at first I thought was an American dime... silver shining through the dirt like it was a new coin just dropped there. I imagined a WWII US pilot flipping out of his bomber for good luck as he went into a bomb run on Tokyo. (I have a big imagination). As I brushed it off I found it was a Meiji 10 sen silver coin with a beautiful dragon design in the center.... beautiful almost mint condition. I checked the coin book in Japan, it was about 200 years old and worth about $150.00 at that time. Must be worth more by now. I have also dug WWII 100 yen silver coins with a phoenix design that were 100% silver out of a very large park in Tokyo that were not as shiny as the 200 year old Meiji dragon coin, but they were not black at all. So, it must depend on the silver content, type of soil. I think silver in the ocean turns black because of the salt water... silver bars, coins that Kip Wagner (not sure of the name) was finding washed up on a Florida beach and was skipping the waves with until he took one home and cleaned it up and discovered what they were... pieces of eight.

Great find. That makes me feel better. Several years ago I found a 1943 zinc in the same kind of terrian right after a particulary heavy monsoon season. The coins was in very good shape. Man, I was really nicked up, (on another forum) about it being a, "plant".

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HISPAN said:
Is very strange ::) ..... the silver coins more than 200 years create a black patina very difficult to clean .... even some people have to use electrochemical techniques to clean ... but you coin appeared completely brilliant and superficially .

H

H,

I understand your suspicion to a degree; I guess all I can do is give you my word that this coin came straight from the ground. The final pics you see are after minimal cleaning -- just a quick rinse under the faucet and a smidge of dish soap. The silver has not been polished at all.

I haven't posted on this board in quite some time because to be honest, I haven't had a lot of luck over the last two years. Between moving and being a father to a small boy, I haven't had a ton of time to hunt. This was the first major find I've had in quite a while, which is why I shared this with everyone. I have no desire or need to brag on TNet or to scam my way onto the banner, and "planting" a bought coin isn't something that would even occur to me. Please take my word on that. There are others on this board who can vouch for me.

As for the comments about silver turning black, I've never found a blackened silver. That sounds more like silver coins plucked from the ocean, and not the soil.

HH,
B

rgalan2003

Jun 14, 2005
pachuca mexico
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
deus xp v2.0,cscope 1220xd,yukon compass 77b(automatic and no automatic)nautilus IIB,teknetics mark I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

congartulations :hello2:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch said:
HISPAN said:

H

Absolutely not. I have seen MANY dug silver coins over 200 years old that were not black. Just because they turn black where you find them doesn't mean they turn black everywhere. This coin stands out because of the great detail, and in no way should it be suggested there is something funny going on. You're way off base with those comments.

Quiet , quiet Man !! I never argue .... not my style.
Peace . :D

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nhagan said:
all i can say is wow... thats impressive!! damn nice find keep sweepin that place!!

neil

Haha Neil, I'm actually going back today. I lost my glasses there on Sunday, so the wife won't mind if I go back! :wink:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stunning piece of Spanish silver! Well deserved banner.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW!!I have dug clad in worse shape!!!! :notworthy:

Boomdeyada

Dec 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000

Awesome find, Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1

Congrats on the find. That lake george area is rich with history. My bro n law was up there in the late eighties he was in the Navy and they have/had a working nuke plant that their nuke operators train on. Anyway he is an outdoorsman and when my wife and I visited her sis and bro n law, he and I went out scouting for deer sign on state land. I dont know how many old stone walls we came across just randomly, and not to mention these 2 or 4 person burial sites. The headstones dated from early to mid 1700's. And this is just out in the middle of the woods. So your in the mecca of colonial "stuff". Good luck

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What a beautiful coin! I thought the one I dug was in good shape...geesh! Those coins most likely started their American Journey though Virginia's James River

detectordude

Oct 18, 2008
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; Fisher CZ-5; Fisher 1280X; Whites Classic V ID
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That is one fine coin........way to go and I am also jealous that the revolution didn't make it to Oklahoma.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the BANNER! well deserved

herbcat

Jan 13, 2010