Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Back...With My Best Coin Yet

Hello everyone! Long time!

As some of you know, I moved off Long Island last year, and headed upstate; I'm just outside of Lake George these days, and have been working hard to learn the new spots and do the research. After some minor wins last year (1-pound cannon ball, handful of musket balls) it's been really heating up for me lately, and yesterday I made my best coin find to date.

I was hunting some pretty dense woods that run along an old military road here that was used during the French & Indian War, close to several battle/ambush sites. I got one of those weird hunches to turn left instead of right, and about two feet after changing direction I hit a nice dime-type signal with my DFX. It was really shallow -- only about an inch and a half -- so I used my hands to brush away the dirt (didn't even bother digging), so you can imagine my surprise when a pristine 1724F 2 Reale "Cross Pistareen" popped up!

The detail on it is pretty fantastic. Although I'd like to think it was dropped during one of the battles there in 1755, I just don't know if it would've withstood 31 years of circulation and still be in the condition it's in today. But at any rate, it's now the oldest silver I've found (prior record holder was my 1738 1 Reale Pistareen) and is tied with my 1724 Charles II halfpenny as my oldest coin overall. Not a bad day of hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,845
  • 20111009140049b.jpg
    20111009140049b.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11,292
  • 20111009140351b.jpg
    20111009140351b.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 11,298
  • IMG_6808b.jpg
    IMG_6808b.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 11,255
  • IMG_6805b.jpg
    IMG_6805b.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 11,251
  • IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,844
Upvote 6

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: I'm Back...With My Best Coin Yet

What a coincidence! I was speaking to Bill (Bookfisher) earlier this week and asked if he had heard from you since you moved, and there you are!

That is truly an amazing find, and in superb condition. I would love to see this one up on top...but the mods seem to have something against Spanish Silver! I knew you would come through with something big up there in NY!

While most of my woodland finds are deep, some are shallow... even on level ground. I have a theory that tree roots can sometimes push objects up toward the surface...part of the reason I always check the bases of trees, young or old. Less likely, but possible is that it may have also been dug out of the ground by an animal that removing obstacles from its burrow.

I hope to see this up on top shortly!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Tuberale said:
Great coin!

I'm not surprised at the depth. As stated elsewhere, soils grow at the rate of about 1 inch per 200 years in most of the United States. 1.5 Inches sound just about right to me.

Normally after 250 years it should be about 5 or 6 inches or deeper in undisturbed soil. Most of my 200 years and older finds have been at that depth or deeper.

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
What a coincidence! I was speaking to Bill (Bookfisher) earlier this week and asked if he had heard from you since you moved, and there you are!

That is truly an amazing find, and in superb condition. I would love to see this one up on top...but the mods seem to have something against Spanish Silver! I knew you would come through with something big up there in NY!

While most of my woodland finds are deep, some are shallow even on level ground. I have a theory that tree roots can sometimes push objects up toward the surface...part of the reason I always check the bases of trees, young or old. Less likely, but possible is that it may have also been dug out of the ground by an animal that removing obstacles from its burrow.

I hope to see this up on top shortly!

Haha thanks, Neil. Of course I thought of you after finding this. It's the one I've been waiting for, as you know...Makes all these recent trips into the woods worthwhile. I've been slogging through some pretty rough terrain up here, and after ending up with little more than the occasional musket ball after quite a few hunts, I was starting to worry that all the old-timers up here had picked the key spots clean. My faith has been restored!

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's a pic of the coin alongside a modern quarter for scale. It's slightly larger than the quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_6810SM.jpg
    IMG_6810SM.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 10,428
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher said:
Very Cool! Thanks for the size comparison picture.

My pleasure, Bill. Good idea on your part...

oldmaps

Aug 11, 2010
al , ms , fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on spectactular find, I'd be happy to find any reale in any condition

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, I think the age and shape of that coin is definitely banner worthy. Awesome find.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome find, great looking coin!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a sight for sore eyes. It's been way too long since I've see something like that in my hole!

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Not a bad find?

Thats like banner material.

I wont even KNOW anyone in my lifetime that will find something like that.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One word...stunning :headbang:! big time CONGRATS on that one!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

my o my o my, STUNNING! I just voted banner. Glad you found the one you wanted!!! Andi

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone! I made the banner for the first time! Now both my coin collection and ego have expanded this week. :wink:

I'm fired up to get back out there. Hopefully there's more to post! Glad you all enjoyed checking out the pics.

Cheers,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoilFisher said:
Not a bad find?

Thats like banner material.

I wont even KNOW anyone in my lifetime that will find something like that.

Haha hang in there CoilFisher....I can't even tell you how frustrated I was feeling about the hobby just a month ago. All it takes is one good day!

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find. :headbang: :o
Sounds like a good spot to expand the search both up and down hill from the location it came out of. Could be washed out of small cache of similar coins. :dontknow:

Ken 'dustcap' Chichester

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dustcap said:
Great find. :headbang: :o
Sounds like a good spot to expand the search both up and down hill from the location it came out of. Could be washed out of small cache of similar coins. :dontknow:

Ken 'dustcap' Chichester

Ken,

My thinking as well. I did focus tightly on the area after making that find, but I fully intend to go back. There are a lot of stories about hastily buried caches in that area, due to the sheer amount of violence and chaos that occurred there in the 18th century. There are even a few missing colonial pay chests that have supposedly never been recovered, as far as anyone knows.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Fantastic detail on that Washington :wink:
Congrats on the finest 18th C Spanish I've seen in a while,
Also on the fastest banner ! Stunning Find :wink:

Briar-patch

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2011

Brendan M. said:
Thanks everyone! Yeah you can imagine my shock and the ensuing exclamations I uttered. I was figuring it was a quarter from the 1940s dropped by a hiker or something.

CRUSADER said:
Good looking coin.

I've never understood how the woods keep things so shallow, but they do :icon_scratch:

Crusader, my particular theory here is recent soil erosion. This was a sloping hillside, and there was some major flooding during the recent hurricane. That could account for a couple less inches of depth...

I had a similar experience in Japan. A friend and I climbed a tall mountain, took about two hours to get to the top... there was no trail... during the climb I even reached up and pulled a flat rock out from under a sunning snake that dropped and got caught in the tree that I was using as a hand hold... good thing it wasn't a poisonous Mamushi (cousin to the American Copperhead) our map had a symbol of a shrine up on top. When we got there, all that was left of the shrine were foundation stones, large trees with roots exposed above the surface of the ground. It looked like something out of Indiana Jones... surely we were in for a large haul of coins that had been thrown at the shrine over the hundreds of years when it was standing. Nothing. No metal in the ground. We couldn't understand it. My friend went down another level and a little later came up with some Meiji copper coins (not as old as we expected from this site... about 200 years... we expected Edo period... about 400 years). I asked him where he found them and he said there was another small levelled area just down the backside of the slope from where the original shrine stood. I said I'm going to check it out... he warned me that he cleaned out the area... well I went anyway and down the slope at the bottom there was sort of a low area right at the foot of the slope and I searched there and it was like Las Vegas... metal detector singing songs left and right. Later we contemplated that with all the rainy seasons over the hundreds of years in Japan, the water carried the coins along with the top soil from the upper level down the slope and deposited them at the foot of the slope where the force of the water dug out the soft soil before flowing on. This also explained why the roots of the big old trees were exposed out of the ground on the upper level. Lesson learned, look for exposed tree roots where the topsoil has been washing away during rainstorms and follow the obvious path the water would take down a slope and look for areas at the bottom that had been dug out by the water flow. It's a natural catch basin for objects heavier than the soil that continues on with the water flow. This type of knowledge on how to read a site will lead you to the treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread