1858 $2 1/2 gold coin on 14 kt chain!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Holy smokes, I can barely breathe right now because I am so excited.

I went up to my father's this weekend in northern Michigan and got home in the early afternoon. After unpacking and chilling out for a bit, it was so beautiful out that I decided to get out for a couple hours before dark. I went to am old horse riding stables that had hay rides in the fall that has been abandoned for 4 or 5 years. I detected there 5 or 6 times last year also. Anyway, I had looked at satelite images of this place and noticed a trail at the back of the property, my wife told me this is where they took the hay riders and had bonfires. So I trudged out there and began searching. I was using my old trusty Garrett TR machine, the jewelry finder. Digging everything, I found a few modern coins , a lot of pull tabs and a few smashed cans.

Here's the good part. I dug a cigarette pack, Merits, another piece of trash, but when I pulled it out of the hole, it ripped and I saw something gold flash. As I pulled it out completely, there was a gold chain inside the cigarette pack. Hoping it was real, I was pumped, I pulled the chain out and there's a pendant on it. It was caked with dirt but I rubbed a bit off and the most beautiful sight, a GOLD COIN. I was still thinking it couldn't all be genuine, so I packed up and headed home.

When I got home, I scanned them as found and then cleaned it up. YES!!! They are both real. The chain says 14kt Italy and the coin although being holed is a $2 1/2 quarter eagle, 1858. I am not sure about if it has a mint mark yet. I am too excited and really wanted to post this while the computer here was free. I share with 4 teenagers and the wife, so I can't always get on. The chain is missing the clasp so maybe it broke and the person stored it in their ciggie pack, and then lost it or maybe forgot and threw it away.

Damn, I feel so good right now, my heart is really pumping still.

Here's some photos.

Golden smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• As found.jpg
    As found.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 5,899
  • As found1.jpg
    As found1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 5,858
  • Merits.jpg
    Merits.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 5,792
Upvote 1

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Very cool. ;D ;D That is an awesome find. Jewelry man strikes again!

Four teenagers - you poor man. :D I only have two.

Mirage

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Hody Schmokes! I may need an oxygen mask.

Now I'm wondering how many valuables I've thrown away over the years in ciggie packs?!

Great score, BDoo.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCOOBY!!!! :o Oh my gosh!!! What a find!!!!!!! I would have been shaking too!~ :D YOU DID GOOD! Congrats! Couldn't have happend to a nicer person!

Nana :)

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something tells me this thread will be moved by the moderators soon... to where it belongs. ;)

PS- Congratulations! That's a big "wow"!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Bdoo and a big congrats! Good thing you were diggin it all. So the second gold coin is just as exciting as the first, LOL, I hope to find out myself. I'm really glad for you. HH, Mike

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i can't stop looking at it....................lmao................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D holy......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Booby, What an excellent find!! Absolutely Awesome!!! I can only dream of finding something like that. WTG!!!

HH 8) surfrat

Bottle-cap Bee-otch

Jun 18, 2006
Congratulations on a great find.

I am super-stoked for you, my friend.
I love it when good things happen to those who earn it.
Take Care

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100