1858 $2 1/2 gold coin on 14 kt chain!!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Holy smokes, I can barely breathe right now because I am so excited.

I went up to my father's this weekend in northern Michigan and got home in the early afternoon. After unpacking and chilling out for a bit, it was so beautiful out that I decided to get out for a couple hours before dark. I went to am old horse riding stables that had hay rides in the fall that has been abandoned for 4 or 5 years. I detected there 5 or 6 times last year also. Anyway, I had looked at satelite images of this place and noticed a trail at the back of the property, my wife told me this is where they took the hay riders and had bonfires. So I trudged out there and began searching. I was using my old trusty Garrett TR machine, the jewelry finder. Digging everything, I found a few modern coins , a lot of pull tabs and a few smashed cans.

Here's the good part. I dug a cigarette pack, Merits, another piece of trash, but when I pulled it out of the hole, it ripped and I saw something gold flash. As I pulled it out completely, there was a gold chain inside the cigarette pack. Hoping it was real, I was pumped, I pulled the chain out and there's a pendant on it. It was caked with dirt but I rubbed a bit off and the most beautiful sight, a GOLD COIN. I was still thinking it couldn't all be genuine, so I packed up and headed home.

When I got home, I scanned them as found and then cleaned it up. YES!!! They are both real. The chain says 14kt Italy and the coin although being holed is a $2 1/2 quarter eagle, 1858. I am not sure about if it has a mint mark yet. I am too excited and really wanted to post this while the computer here was free. I share with 4 teenagers and the wife, so I can't always get on. The chain is missing the clasp so maybe it broke and the person stored it in their ciggie pack, and then lost it or maybe forgot and threw it away.

Damn, I feel so good right now, my heart is really pumping still.

Here's some photos.

Golden smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• As found.jpg
    As found.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 5,899
  • As found1.jpg
    As found1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 5,858
  • Merits.jpg
    Merits.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 5,792
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Green1 said:
i can't stop looking at it....................lmao................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D holy......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Me neither...still...lol
Thanks for all your great support this year Rick.
It's because of you and others here at TNet that I have gotten out this year more than ever and I probably would not have found this chain and coin if that wasn't the case. Thanks!!!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
surfrat96 said:
Booby, What an excellent find!! Absolutely Awesome!!! I can only dream of finding something like that. WTG!!!

HH 8) surfrat

Hi Surfrat. Well, I hope you doo find one of these someday. I would love to see that. I know you work hard at it out there and all I can say is that you have to believe that it can happen. The next dig will be the big one. I always try to think that as I am searching. Stay positive...it helps I think. Best of luck to you out there!!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Bottle-cap Bee-otch said:
Congratulations on a great find.

I am super-stoked for you, my friend.
I love it when good things happen to those who earn it.
Take Care

Thanks!! Wow, what a great comment! I am honored by it.
Back at cha ten-fold!!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
The Seeker said:
GOLD COIN CLUB !!!

YOUR A MEMBER !!!!! 8)

Thanks John, it is always great to see you have visited my postings.
Best of luck to you in all your searches buddy!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Kenneth Huddleston said:
Is that a COOL find OR WHAT ????????????? WTG !!! Thats all it takes , LUCK and being in the right place at the right time !!! Too bad it had that darned hole in it !!!!! KENNETH

Thanks for the comment Kenneth!
This is actually the second gold coin I have found, both were jewelry pieces and damaged but I guess I am thankful that they were because if not, I probably would have zero gold coins found in my life. :) I am looking forward to getting it fixed up to wear too.

Best of luck to you!

Smiles!
BDo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
markgPA said:
WOW! Just got to read this post today and I bet you're still shaking. My jaw is still on the table. I like searching for coins, but after reading a lot of your posts, I'm gonna spend some time each week just looking for jewelry.
CONGRATULATIONS!
Mark G

All due respects to all the coin and relic hunters, but I love finding the jewelry. I got spoiled back in the 1980's at site that was a TH'ers dream site, pulling over 300 rings out of one place over the years. Unfortunately, they were all stolen from me a couple of years ago when someone broke into my house. Hey, I hope you get soem good jewelry treasures soon, best of luck to you and thanks for the nice comment!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
whites6000inPa said:
I'd have had a heart attack if I'd dug that....Way to go! I wonder how many of us would have discarded the pack....not noticing the weight.....probably not many of us, because I'd bet that had some heft to it and you could tell it wasn't an empty pack.

Wyatt

Hiya Wyatt! When I forced it up out of the hole, I saw it was a ciggie pack, but it split open a little and I saw a glint of gold (the chain). I doo pick up and discard all my trash, even in an open overgrown field like this, so I probably would have felt it when I crushed it and put it in my pouch. :)
Thanks for reading!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
JerDfx said:
That's a awesome find.

Someone must have thrown out the pack and forgot. They could have put that nice of a coin on a better chain though.

HH Jer

Thanks Jeremy!! Yep, I will be putting it on my thick gold chain that I found earlier this summer. I wear that every day with one of the gold crosses I also found. So many choices...lol, I love it!! :) :)

Smiles!
BDoo

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
thats one of the best finds I've ever seen period. It is absolutely amassing that you found it semipreserved in a old cigarette pack. Any idea of the weight of the chain? It looks heavy. Congregations and thanks for pumping up my inspiration tank.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
There just aren't enough superlatives to cover this one! I call myself "Halfdime" because I consider one to be my best coin find so far; I'd love to change it someday (soon!). Congratulations on a great find!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all i can say is wow...

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Un-dang-believable! That is one most outrageous way to hide jewelry!!!!!I am tired of tell you that you are the master. From now on, when I want to tell you that you are the MASTER, I will just type 'ditto :o'.

Laater...

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Bdoo, I don't know how I didn't see this topic until now (unless I did and forgot. It happens..).

Fantastic find, holed or not (hope it didn't have that -C mintmark), plus you've given me hope. There are gold coins in Meeshigan!

Maybe just up north. I need to go back to the ancestral stompin' grounds of Fife Lake and have a look.

That beauty of a coin ties my oldest and is worth only about 10 times as much--not counting the aesthetics bonus.

Great one!

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones
FlatCat said:
Great coin, awesome find, but...

you guys know this thread is a year and a half old, right? :icon_scratch:

FC

I wasnt detecting or a member of this forum when you found this so I would like to say WOW what a sweet find any chance of a updated pic with the bezeled coin on the thick Gold chain?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread