Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Met up with Shanegalang this morning to go on a date with a great cane field. ;D On the way, we made a quick detour, dropped Bernard Bonnier off and got hunting. We did pretty well today. No military buttons this time, but we did make some nice finds. Took a break midday and ate a bowl of gumbo at a good restaurant. Knew it would be good when the waitress asked if we wanted some File for it. :wink:

Got back at it and got a phone call from the man who leases another 8,000 acres with a Green Light. :hello2:

Here's a little video to get you in the mood. 8)

So...back to the hunt... Here are a couple of the shots from the field. First off, a dropped three-ringer:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Next, a V nickel I dug (1892):

3.jpg

This is the fourth nickel from that area. In fact, except for Shane's Half Real, every coin has been a nickel (Silver Jefferson, two V nickels, and a Shield). Seems like folks only carried nickels in their pockets. :D

It has been yet another long evening cleaning finds. Once again, the number of targets in my pouch were pretty incredible to me at the end of the day:

4.jpg

First off, here's the GawGag. Camp lead and pack studs, mainly.

5.jpg

Two more recent items we found while briefly exploring a new spot on the new land. A Louisiana Tax
Token from the 30s and a Catholic Medallion.

6.jpg

Great pottery and a clay marble eyeballed in the field:

7.jpg

CW bullets, heel plates, etc. The small piece of carved lead is an interesting shape. Please me know if you have any ideas about that one. The .54 cal round ball in the center has a terrific sprue on it. Big mold, Big splash. :thumbsup: The lead piece at the left gave me a heart attack. I saw a white disc, and thought Two Reales or Silver Quarter. No design at all. Early cast brass nail. (Shipbuilding?) Good stuff.

8.jpg

And the buttons, coin, etc. After 20 years with no watch winder, I was lucky enough to get my second watch key in two hunts. The little cuff button at the top is a real beauty, and the photo doesn't do it justice. The red colored disc with the design in the center bottom of the photo is interesting. No clue on the ID. It appears to have a small paste jewel in the center, and the rim of it is heavily gold gilded. Single wire attachment on the back...but it could be a busted and stretched out shank, so maybe a button too. :)

9.jpg

And a few more whatzits. Note the diamond in the center. :P

10.jpg

Best Wishes and Happy Beep Beep,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
ModernMiner said:
BB,
You guys have been knocking it dead out there. :hello2: Some fantastic relics. I have a heel plate like the star one you have there.
Congrats on those relics that seem to have a personal touch added to them. :thumbsup:
I love your new avatar. Hilarious! :laughing9:
I gotta ask.........what is "File" for your gumbo mean? I hope she didn't mean "flies". :tongue3: :o
Great post,
Doug
He res the bowls of gumbo we were enjoying, the file' is in the little dish on the center of the table. Dat was some gooooood gumbo!! I guarantee!!

Attachments

• filegumbo2.jpg
    filegumbo2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 986
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shanegalang said:
And that's me with the detector, you on the other side standing and Bernard Bonier siting down ;D

Classic!!! :laughing9:

Bernard is our mascot. :headbang:

Seriously, this caused me to laugh Hard! I am gonna put your gumbo photo up top.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
awesome finds there.. but I gotta admit, was drooling over your pottery shards..they make the coolest art designed tables or around a mirror..neat colors and of course love all your real good finds..man you must have one huge pouch.. nice nice finds there.

Don't think I've ever been told that I had a huge pouch before. :o

I was really pleased with this hunt. Our field will sustain us one more trip, when we finish the grid. :thumbsup:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
That Gumbo looks better than the Gumbo you made here while you were visiting.
It almost looks like a bowl of soup. I just picked up my Cajun links from the deer processor and I'm ready to make my own batch of Gumbo "Hill Billy" style. :evil5:
Poor Bernard looks like he's ready for a Shrimp Po Boy after his disturbance. :laughing7:

You guy's look like you had another great day of hunting, keep at it, I wanna see some more buttons popping soon.

Hill

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HILL BILLY said:
It almost looks like a bowl of soup. I just picked up my Cajun links from the deer processor and I'm ready to make my own batch of Gumbo "Hill Billy" style. :evil5:
Poor Bernard looks like he's ready for a Shrimp Po Boy after his disturbance. :laughing7:

You guy's look like you had another great day of hunting, keep at it, I wanna see some more buttons popping soon.

Hill

We fed a Po Boy to Bernard before we dropped him off. :laughing9:

I made Jambalaya for you, not Gumbo. So that's why it doesn't look like the photos. :wink: We gonna get your Cajun up to par, us!

-Buck

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy said:
HILL BILLY said:

Hill

We fed a Po Boy to Bernard before we dropped him off. :laughing9:

I made Jambalaya for you, not Gumbo. So that's why it doesn't look like the photos. :wink: We gonna get your Cajun up to par, us!

-Buck

Oooops!

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Great hunt, nice finds but...

The best part is the GUMbO!!!!

Cheers

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
"I made Jambalaya for you, not Gumbo. So that's why it doesn't look like the photos. We gonna get your Cajun up to par, us!"
I was wondering about that. HB needs to come down here and have some boudin and do a hunt with us. BB is going to come over one night and the wife is going to teach him how to make a good gumbo, her. :tongue3:

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cold front passing through Acadiana in a couple of days...picking up the crawfish for my etouffee tomorrow. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread