Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, have a few forgotten the history of the colonial horses that made your countries what they are today.Every ex- colonial country has breed there own type of horses for needs of the time.Theres no best breed just a great 4 legged friend and work mate. here in Australia the first horses came in 1788 .All started from Cape horse crossed with numerous other horses over 60 years.Finally in 1840 the horse became a breed of it own "Waler" short from New South Wales.Four main types used for the numerous jobs in the 19 century. Many were used in the local mining industry even when Industrial revolution was taking place. The motor car was not to come to latter on and not many people around here could afford one. Horses were still used right up too the mid 1960's . Milk cart, bread cart and even a Privy wagon.

here a link to the walers history http://www.walerhorse.com/whsa/

Todays hunt. I went back too the hard mine site i have been working laterly and have come across quite a few pieces of horse shoe.Ok common find anywhere but no in numbers i have found them.
From historical records there was as many as 134 blacksmith shop on this section of the gold feilds and over the years i have posted many pics and drawings of mining scenes with horses always present.
I decided to work along the edge of a small pile of ore tailing and got 2 nice species .Hot today so i didn,t figure on staying out too long. Conditions where perfect for the GPX so i was able push both my gain up to 13 and threshold just abit more. Gives me just a little more punch into the ore tailing base.
Only took me 30 minutes to get 2 but as soon the wind picked up the gpx got too noisy for the settings i was using.I spend a few minutes and tune the noise out but i have a set pattern for the coil which i use for the tailings heaps. better to come back when the conditions are right.

Anyway on the way home i stopped to see a mate who just brought a new Gpx 5000 and he wanted to get a bit of gold off me to use as a tester. 2 types of testers one is put a small nugget in small plastic vile or get a small quartz specie with touch of gold on it. By running the tester over the coil before you start youe hunt for gold you learn the destinct sound. Good to place it in differents types of ground and depth and that makes use your manual over ride .Good way to learn to set your Gpx for different ground conditions. Well after a coffee and chat i had to head off. Yep teenage son wanted a ride somewhere and my wife had gone out for the afternoon. Busy like most families and they always come first. Mate gave me these 2 Uk cap bagdes for the tester. I declined but he insisted. So called it trade. I was happy with that idea.

Not a bad day at all got 2 species[found] and 2 cap badges [swap] that will be just enough varity for my January Display. I only keep species and the best small nuggets but 75% of the gold i find is junky and ugly so i sell that when i have an oz.Still cannot find any thing of more than a gram size lately.My hunt % stike right is 137% but its only a few pieces of gold at a time.

First pic is of the 2 species and the third is "my tester"
Second pic is of the cap badges a "TRADE"
Other pics are of my January Display all finds and the trade

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1468.jpg
    100_1468.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 725
  • 100_1465.jpg
    100_1465.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 728
  • 100_1473.jpg
    100_1473.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 871
  • 100_1474.jpg
    100_1474.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 866
Upvote 0

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice display! Like the love token a lot. Interesting story and great finds. Thanks for sharing.

Don

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kilmer said:
Nice display! Like the love token a lot. Interesting story and great finds. Thanks for sharing.

Don

Thanks for the kind words Don. Australia beening late settlement country doesn't have the history wealth or population to match some locations that are posted on TN. I use as much history and interesting relics that i can find. A gold rush is about the best i have.

tinpan

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinpan, As my Grandpa was so fond of saying ya just gotta use what ya got.....Along those thoughts, I've always been amazed at your finds...HH and keep up the good work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
love the 2 badges tinpan. we visited an island north of cooktown after we dove the barrier reef and coral sea. they had aboriginal cave drawings, it was kind of interesting. I am surprised you have not run into any of their artifacts on your excursions. keep digging I love your posts. tim.

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2:

Attachments

• hi.gif
    hi.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 531
  • hi.gif
    hi.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 524

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always interesting to read your posts tinpan! :icon_thumright:
The silver trophy and the watch chain are my favourites of your finds! :hello2:

Best of luck to you mate!
Dave

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Those quartz/gold pieces are stunningly beautiful :o
like the badges too.
great post and photos, Thanks for sharing & HH! Herbie.

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Might be a late settlement, but I think it's been lots of fun for you, and looks also profitable...

Keep them coming Tin, hope to see many more posts!

Cheers

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, as is the case with your posts....
Tomjiggy - my oldest son - wants to get to Australia, and I want to get Tinpan to come here to South Korea, to show us
how to look for the yellow stuff. Well, let's hope that both get accomplished.
Tinpan, am interested in the Chinese coins. How many would you guesstimate you have found?
Any that you have not been able to i.d.? I would love to help you in the i.d.ing area. I do have the books and the
experience to do that, if you give me a picture of both the front side and back side of the coin/coins that you want i.d.ed.
No trades needed......will just do it for another THer.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Nice post, as is the case with your posts....
Tomjiggy - my oldest son - wants to get to Australia, and I want to get Tinpan to come here to South Korea, to show us
how to look for the yellow stuff. Well, let's hope that both get accomplished.
Tinpan, am interested in the Chinese coins. How many would you guesstimate you have found?
Any that you have not been able to i.d.? I would love to help you in the i.d.ing area. I do have the books and the
experience to do that, if you give me a picture of both the front side and back side of the coin/coins that you want i.d.ed.
No trades needed......will just do it for another THer.

thanks , will would like that. I have only found about 40 in the past 10 years. I have heard the chiness cash coins can be found in large numbers but i have never see it happen.

tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions