Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1856 1$ Gold Coin "LT"/ 1823 Capped Bust half dollar/ 1853 Half Dime

this 1853 Arrows half dime is my most recent half dime find... here is a close up pic of the half dime its in great shape..

the gold coin and capped bust half are coins I found and never posted on a forum before mentioned them last week and have gotten a bunch of messages wanting me to show them so here they are.

The gold love token was found in the middle of a town in a lot where they were tearing down a house in February 2006... tsgman was with me when I found it that day.
The capped bust half was the second capped bust half dollar found at a site here in Mo. they were found about 3 weeks apart.. March 2005

Attachments

• 000_2668a.JPG
    000_2668a.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,286
  • 000_2670a.JPG
    000_2670a.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 000_2675a.JPG
    000_2675a.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,362
Upvote 0

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Attachments

• new_JDHUNT~1.jpg
    new_JDHUNT~1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 705

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Re: 1856 1$ Gold Coin "LT"/ 1823 Capped Bust half dollar/ 1853 Half Dime

Hi JD

Wow, more superb finds. Just beautiful!
I am so glad that you are sharing them here with us,
a very inspiring post, great to see, thanks and congrats.
Best of luck my friend!

Smiles!
BDoo

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awsome coins...sorry bout the dollar coin.

HH
-GC

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds!!! I am so looking forward to the TN hunt on the 14th!!!

D

doyboy

Yeah, JD, that coil looks to be off of the ground quite a bit. You better work on better form, bud. Just think, you are getting those Capped, but are missing the Flowing Hairs. Proper form, buddy bud John, may get you those!

I hope the forum hunt works out well!

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex

Hey J.D;
Nice finds....I think I lost that piece of gold.....those ARE my initials!

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks everyone lol lol... I really have never detected I just show-up let them take a quick pic of me and act like I'm adjusting the signal.. then I put the detector away and use my internal LRL's to find treasure :)

Tim was that where the mercury dime was found??? when you took that pic? it looks the the area to me, I can tell by looking at the pic I was pinpointing a signal my fingers on the trigger!!

Just to let people know too there are very few deep coins in mo. unless your in the river bottoms... 50% of the ground here is 2-4 in deep then you either hit a hard layer of clay that the coins lay on top of or you hit hard rock... 25% is 4-6 in. deep then theres a hard layer of bedrock... the 25% left are farmers fields and river bottoms they are deepest spots. but for 75% of the hunting here you can use a Garrett 250 and find everything easy. 90% of the civil war stuff we find are 1-4 in. deep thats it... the US box plate and 1839 dime from sat. were 3 in. at the most. god I love it here.

D

doyboy

Dang, John, I think you are the only detectorist that pinpoints with the coil pointing towards the sky. Do you usually have an accurate pinpoint?

Oh, that explains why you don't need your coil low. The coins in Missoura will not go very deep. Thanks for the explanation, bud.

HH!

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess if you have to poke fun thats ok with me, as soon as I saw that Tim posted that pic I knew the jealous people would make fun of it. 5 years from now if you continue to detect and have months of highs and lows, bad finds and good finds, finding things where you think to yourself now how in the hell did that get here, or hunting a spot all day long that you just know should have good old stuff and you find nothing, when you come running home to your family to show them the amazing thing you just found, or when you walk in the door disgusted from a week of detecting and finding nothing and swear you will never detect again, only to wake up the next day go out again and again. And you post your finds some people believe you, some people dont... its really no big deal if they dont believe because you do it for the ones that do care and who ask to see your finds.

Looking at that pic I think about that day and how much fun it was, I think about how Tim drove 2 1/2 hours to come detect with me then we drove another 2 hours to the sites. How we found an awsome spot where there was an encampment site and we got permission only to be told 15 min. later that we couldnt detect there because the owner was saving the property for his plumber that "uses those gieger counter thing a ma bobs" and how frustrated Tim got.
Then 10 min.s later Tim was like a school boy when I showed him the old House where the Union General Freemont freed the slaves of Missouri on his own and Lincoln got mad and fired him a week later and he took pics of the spot and the disappointment of the "no" turned into a "high" of seeing that old house with so much history and 2 blocks later seeing a demolition and calling the phone # on the sign and getting permission to hunt and we hunted that trashy site for 2 hours and had some good finds a 1/2 an hour of that time was talking to the new owner of the property a 24 year old Kid who was building his first house for he and his wife and he pointed out spots to us where his brother found old coins laying on the surface a few days before, and how happy he was we were there and he loved to see the things that were found on his property... It started raining pretty hard so we took a break from that spot thats when Tim took a pics of the finds in his truck.
I told him about another encampment site about 30 min. away and we took off for that spot we got there and talked to the 82 year old owner of the site he was excited to see us he had rented out his land it was filled with horses and we couldnt detect there that day but he showed us his little museum in his barn and the things that were found in his property he told us Civil War stories and stories about his life he probably talked for 3 hours to us just wanting the company and we were more than eager to hear his stories. After we left, Tim now had a 4 -4 1/2 hour drive in the rain to bring me home then go back to his home never once did he complain that we only detected for 1 1/2 hours altogether we talked about the oldman and the stories our families and friends.
So you can make fun of my picture, you may not even believe the finds... but theres nothing you can ever say or do that can take that day and the memories of it away from me. hh all jd

Fish-Gate

Jan 10, 2006
Huntington, Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, as always. Posts like this keep me going. If you want soil conditions that contrast with Missouri, come to Indiana. I often find memorial cents and Rosie dimes at 8 inches. Sometimes they are deep, sometimes not so deep. I was at an 1850's log cabin a week ago, got very deep signals in the rich, productive mid-west soil, but they were all common coins. I have a great detector (Minelab Explorer II), and it is frustrating to know that coins are down there, but beyond a foot depth...

D

doyboy

I am not picking fun of you, John. I was just pointing out your unprofessional swing tactics, or pinpointing form.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

doyboy said:
I am not picking fun of you, John. I was just pointing out your unprofessional swing tactics, or pinpointing form.
Good Grief.... :D :D :D
Aren't you flattered JD that someone is watching you so close and willing to point out your errs for you. What a relief to have your own little monitoring squad . You can sleep easy tonight.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Great recap of the day JD. That's what makes this hobby so much fun....the day trips and the people yah hook up with. :)

OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know gypsy I think its funny these guys are making me famous!! I love it :) most people ave. 20 responses to there posts im around 60 because of these wonderful stalkers hehe I just love it everytime they do this I get double the amount of hits on my website its awsome!! its not just the doy and zoy girls it happens with the other heathens too!! lol lol lol gotta love!!! I guess im the russel crowe of metal detecting you either love me or hate me!! LMAO

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Doy and I love you, and we wish you many more "Caped" in your lifetime.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

been watching how some of these folks seem to gang up on you at times. nice finds dont despair ( im almost afraid myself to post anything anymore i mean what does it take to convince some of these diggers. i hunt alone most of the time. in and out and on to the next spot. i live up north but spend alot of time in virginia due to my mothers health problems and i due some serious digging down south. with some yet posted c/w finds still debating if i should share anymore. at least you can laugh at it :) wonderfull keep it up.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

Nice find JD. jfx55 don't worry about the few jealous morons who want to run down people. I think I can speak for 99.9% of the members here, that we would love to see your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread