Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2008
    SE Virginia
    F75, MXT, CZ-21
    2229 times
    Colonial relic hunting and pit digging
    Banner Finds (2)

What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Just got permission for a new colonial site that I've had my eye on for some time. No, this is not the holy grail site I referred to in my last post, but the way it turned out it might as well have been. As I was driving down the lane approaching the house a beautiful bald eagle flew directly in front of my truck so things were starting out right. Then the first signal I got when I walked out in the field was a NY cuff button that fell apart in my hand, but that was still a good sign. After that I wandered around for a bit without finding much, then ventured to another part of the property where I found a musketball, then a 3-ringer and an eagle button not long after. So I decided to hunker down in that spot for a while. As I usually do at colonial sites I dig all non-ferrous targets as many of the tombacs, other small buttons, buckle pieces, etc, often come in quite low on the conductivity scale. As a result I end up digging loads of lead buck shot which I was certainly doing yesterday. I got another one of those hits, maybe just a tad higher on the scale of my F75, and it was a very consistent 27. I knew it was very shallow so I stuck my shovel in at a low angle, then flipped the 2-inch scraping upside down. Immediately I saw a beautiful gold coin staring back at me. I was lucky I didn't hit it with the shovel. I eventually had the nerve to actually touch it, and it turned out to be a gorgeous 1852 one dollar gold piece. I was stunned to say the least. Took me a while to get my wits about myself, then I started hunting the same area a little more slowly. I think I dug one more bullet, then got another nice deep sounding bullet signal. Dug a fairly deep hole (12") and the target was still in the bottom. Finally I got it out and was looking at the back of what I thought was a large pewter spoon. But it was quite heavy. I flipped it over and started scraping the wet dirt out with my fingers when that magical "US" started to appear and I realized I had just unearthed my first US boxplate complete with lead backing. What a hunt this was turning out to be! Later in the day I found a nice piece of cut silver which completed the trifecta. I also dug a nice assortment of other colonial and CW relics including a colonial hoe I pulled from a trash pit. When I was cleaning the finds this afternoon I noticed that what I thought was another beat up NY button turned out to be a Mass coat, also a first for me. And to top things off I thought I saw some writing around the edge of one of the large flat buttons, and after putting it in a warm hydrogen peroxide bath for a while I could see the word "Carolus" so I knew I had dug a spanish colonial copper. Anyway, it was an incredible day that I won't soon forget. This is probably my best hunt ever aside from the 2 days I found the twin hammered silver caches 4 years ago. HH to all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712b.JPG 
Views:	3560 
Size:	537.4 KB 
ID:	617537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712c.JPG 
Views:	3075 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	617538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712d.JPG 
Views:	3087 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	617539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712e.JPG 
Views:	3049 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	617540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712f.JPG 
Views:	3112 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	617541  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712g.JPG 
Views:	3060 
Size:	405.6 KB 
ID:	617542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712h.JPG 
Views:	3058 
Size:	356.7 KB 
ID:	617543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712i.JPG 
Views:	3100 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	617544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712j.JPG 
Views:	3083 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	617545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712k.JPG 
Views:	3151 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	617546  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031712a.JPG 
Views:	3733 
Size:	613.9 KB 
ID:	617547  
    all55, bluemax1947, smcdmc and 3 others like this.

Mar 2008
    upstate ny
    se pro
    4 times
    dirty pennies
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

dang!
    that last picture is a banner shot if i ever saw one.
    great hunt. what a fantastic site.
    dirty pennies...

us
    Jul 2010
    SS of MA.
    Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
    86 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

my god

Feb 2007
    Goldrush Area
    XLT
    3 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Awesome! Banner day!

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times

Wow!!!!!!

Jun 2007
    MA NH seacoast
    what ever works
    21 times

Not sure there is enough room on the Banner for more gold.
    Oh well hop on up .

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities

Wow, I can only dream of a day like that

Nice finds
    Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

Aug 2006
    135 times

Amazing finds Bill that gold coin is a stunner! Congrats on the plate as well.

Definitely Banner worthy, you have my vote.
    -Evan

AMAZING day is right (my vote is in)
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

us
    Aug 2011
    Maine
    Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
    58 times

Banner!!!

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    225 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

That is a great day of digging! Is there any more room on top for gold coins?

us
    real pirate

May 2011
    NE Ohio
    Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
    191 times

beautiful gold coin

us
    Dec 2008
    Claremont, NC

Way to go Bill!

I'm guessing this was a day you will not soon forget! Congratulations my friend!
    "Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God the Father, means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us." James 1:27

A high better than drugs ain't it! I dug my best and most valuable silver coin in much the same way you did the gold and I too was pretty lucky I didn't smoke it.

I have three fields I'm anxious to hit this Spring, and two I've been waiting to do for years. If the results are anywhere close to that I'd call it a successful Spring.

us
    Mar 2010
    Southwest Georgia
    White's DFX
    552 times

My day would have ended with that gold coin because I would have had to go home and change!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors