🥇 BANNER What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got permission for a new colonial site that I've had my eye on for some time. No, this is not the holy grail site I referred to in my last post, but the way it turned out it might as well have been. As I was driving down the lane approaching the house a beautiful bald eagle flew directly in front of my truck so things were starting out right. Then the first signal I got when I walked out in the field was a NY cuff button that fell apart in my hand, but that was still a good sign. After that I wandered around for a bit without finding much, then ventured to another part of the property where I found a musketball, then a 3-ringer and an eagle button not long after. So I decided to hunker down in that spot for a while. As I usually do at colonial sites I dig all non-ferrous targets as many of the tombacs, other small buttons, buckle pieces, etc, often come in quite low on the conductivity scale. As a result I end up digging loads of lead buck shot which I was certainly doing yesterday. I got another one of those hits, maybe just a tad higher on the scale of my F75, and it was a very consistent 27. I knew it was very shallow so I stuck my shovel in at a low angle, then flipped the 2-inch scraping upside down. Immediately I saw a beautiful gold coin staring back at me. I was lucky I didn't hit it with the shovel. I eventually had the nerve to actually touch it, and it turned out to be a gorgeous 1852 one dollar gold piece. I was stunned to say the least. Took me a while to get my wits about myself, then I started hunting the same area a little more slowly. I think I dug one more bullet, then got another nice deep sounding bullet signal. Dug a fairly deep hole (12") and the target was still in the bottom. Finally I got it out and was looking at the back of what I thought was a large pewter spoon. But it was quite heavy. I flipped it over and started scraping the wet dirt out with my fingers when that magical "US" started to appear and I realized I had just unearthed my first US boxplate complete with lead backing. What a hunt this was turning out to be! Later in the day I found a nice piece of cut silver which completed the trifecta. I also dug a nice assortment of other colonial and CW relics including a colonial hoe I pulled from a trash pit. When I was cleaning the finds this afternoon I noticed that what I thought was another beat up NY button turned out to be a Mass coat, also a first for me. And to top things off I thought I saw some writing around the edge of one of the large flat buttons, and after putting it in a warm hydrogen peroxide bath for a while I could see the word "Carolus" so I knew I had dug a spanish colonial copper. Anyway, it was an incredible day that I won't soon forget. This is probably my best hunt ever aside from the 2 days I found the twin hammered silver caches 4 years ago. HH to all!

Attachments

• 031712b.JPG
    031712b.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 4,031
  • 031712c.JPG
    031712c.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,344
  • 031712d.JPG
    031712d.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 3,347
  • 031712e.JPG
    031712e.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 3,294
  • 031712f.JPG
    031712f.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,371
  • 031712g.JPG
    031712g.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 031712h.JPG
    031712h.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 3,323
  • 031712i.JPG
    031712i.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 3,343
  • 031712j.JPG
    031712j.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 3,332
  • 031712k.JPG
    031712k.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,423
  • 031712a.JPG
    031712a.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 4,021
Upvote 10

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

Bill, whenever I see one of your posts, I go right to it because I know it's gonna be good. More often than not it's exceptional :headbang: Like today :laughing7:

I may have to follow you around during DIV XXI later this week :icon_pirat:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What an amazing day - gold coin/colonial silver and copper/US box plate & more!!

What a day You had! Nice finds with a beauty topper!

coinstar

Apr 8, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AMAZING :notworthy: :notworthy:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bill, you enjoyed that once in a lifetime hunt that every relic hunter dreams about Great finds and I bet you'll be back out to that site tomorrow. Congrats on the gold coin and the other great finds and a well deserved banner. WTG, Quindy.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_pirat: :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :notworthy: :icon_pirat:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congratulations on your finds today Bill, you really hit a home run with this site!!! :hello2:

I can't wait to see what else you pull from there!!! :thumbsup:

Congrats on making the :wav: BANNER!!! :wav:
Dave

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.

Wow, what a day!! :headbang: :headbang: That's a banner hunt, congrats all the way! :thumbsup:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Fantastic and congratulations!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT

What an amazing day you had!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

WhooWhee :o
My comment on your last post was 'I see some good indicators'
Well, you hit the right spot on this hunt!
Congrats on the great additions to your collection and fastest banner seen!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

steelheadwill said:
WhooWhee :o
My comment on your last post was 'I see some good indicators'
Well, you hit the right spot on this hunt!
Congrats on the great additions to your collection and fastest banner seen!

Thanks Herbie - but I trade it all and then some for one of your oak tree shillings.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

wow wow wow!! amazing hunt! congrats on a dream day and banner finds :hello2: :hello2:

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Way to go Bill. Congrats on the gold coin. That's one heck of a hunt !!!

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow!!! you had an fantastic day, saving history one piece at a time, great job!!! :headbang:

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations!

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could it get any better then the day you had, doubt it, Congrats :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold

Wow that is an amazing hunt, congrats on all of the good finds! :headbang:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Steve in PA said:
Bill, whenever I see one of your posts, I go right to it because I know it's gonna be good. More often than not it's exceptional :headbang: Like today :laughing7:

Thanks Steve, but you may want to reconsider following me around as I may lead you astray as I try to learn this darn GPX-5000.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA) said:
Steve in PA said:

Thanks Steve, but you may want to reconsider following me around as I may lead you astray as I try to learn this darn GPX-5000.

Is the GPX-5000 awesome? I would love to play with one at one of my hunted out sites.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

wow very nice.

Great Digs

:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread