🥇 BANNER Yesssssssssss!

U

umrgolf

(found out this buckle is a rarity 8, meaning there are 16-30 known)

I have always wanted to dig a CS buckle of any type, and today I was able to cross it off the list!!

I hadn't been out in a couple weeks so I decided to head out this morning for a few hours. I went back to the spot where I found the 1851 Officer's sword belt buckle and sabre guard last month, and not 10 minutes into today's hunt, I found a pulltab LOL. And then, two feet away I scored the buckle. I immediately called a few buddies and was almost so excited I couldn't speak.

Honest to God, when I first dug it I thought it said "08"... I had never seen this style buckle so I knocked off a little dirt off and when I realized what I was looking at, I was absolutely floored. In my area there was VERY LITTLE confederate activity so this is a very significant find. I would almost have to believe this was a battlefield pickup that was carried back by a Union soldier. Unfortunately the loop broke into 2 pieces as I was pulling it from the rock hard dirt. I will be sending it off to get repaired next week!

The buckle was identified by my good friend, Josh (Sentinel) as a LEECH & RIGDON CS tongue produced in Memphis, TN. Thanks for looking!
The last 2 photos are General Nathan Bedford Forrest wearing a tongue and wreath buckle made by the same company :thumbsup:

*buckle was selected for W&E Treasures annual best finds

Attachments

• IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0996_1.JPG
    IMG_0996_1.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0994_1.JPG
    IMG_0994_1.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 139
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg
    LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 240
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest 2.jpg
    LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Upvote 25

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you make Banner!
Really a great find...

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare find !! good hunt Jim

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

A big congrats on your first Confederate Buckle! That's the beauty of our hobby, when you least expect it - bam! a terrific banner find!

First, Thank you ALL for the comments and banner nominations. It has been selected for the W&E annual Best Finds issue, so keep an eye open for it if you're a subscriber.

Isn't that the truth, bookfisher.. The first thing on my list was right in my hometown, a Union stronghold during the war. :laughing7: You honestly NEVER know whats under your coil.

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find ! This is why we do what we do..

cz3djoe

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D, Garrett Pro Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing people make finds like this keeps my hopes up. Thanks for posting.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This has got me up and ready, got a spot I'll try about 7pm, got my XLT on stand by.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

This has got me up and ready, got a spot I'll try about 7pm, got my XLT on stand by.

Good luck, hope you snag one just like it.. would be nice to see somebody in TN find one close to home :thumbsup:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jeff , I don't get on here much or reply to many posts anymore, but I just saw this and want to congratulate you:headbang:.
Sweet find!

HB

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Friend,

I haven't been on Tnet since you posted this. That is one KILLER find! Still on my list after 20 years in the greatest hobby in the world.

I tried to call you and congratulate you in person yesterday after I saw this, and am wondering if your phone number has changed. At any rate, give a ring or drop a line sometime.

Cheers,

Buckles

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Hey Friend,

I haven't been on Tnet since you posted this. That is one KILLER find! Still on my list after 20 years in the greatest hobby in the world.

I tried to call you and congratulate you in person yesterday after I saw this, and am wondering if your phone number has changed. At any rate, give a ring or drop a line sometime.

Cheers,

Buckles

Thanks, Will. I changed it to a Missouri number when I moved back home. I'll send it to you now.

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your superb CS buckle Jeff! most of us still dream of finding a CS buckle!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find umrgolf. That is an exciting find and all the way from Memphis. I wonder how many miles that ole buckle traveled and imagine the stories it heard around the campfires from both sides. May have been a soldier fighting for the South and returning home to the North. Strange way things happened back then. Hope you keep it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions