Yard Finds

core028

Dec 7, 2005
North West Tennessee
I've been on TN for some time and made a few posts but have yet to post any finds. i guess it time to start posting some of my finds since I've had time to do some detecting. I found these in my yard under a very large old oak tree. My house was built in 1934. Some of the older folks in my neighborhood have told me that my yard was a favorite of the neighboorhood kids. I have quite an unusual lot for an old historic neighborhood in the middle of town its 3 acres and every other lot in town is usually less than an acre. Well anyway back to my finds. I found a really cool looking toy tank, old junior G man Badge, 2 old game tokens, and several wheat's, along with other less interesting finds. I have several other sites to detect, some from the early to mid 1800's and hope to post some good finds from them when I get the chance to hunt.
Thanks ;D
P.S. If anyone has any info on the dates of these finds I please let me know. I think they would be from the 30's or 40's.

Attachments

• tn001.JPG
    tn001.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 678
  • tn002.JPG
    tn002.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 670
Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
With a start like that, I would be detecting that three acres for a very very long time. That's quite a chunk of ground. Cool digs and thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing you post more yard goodies!
~Nashoba~

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

Love the eagle looking pin.

HH Jer

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice...it'd be fun to detect there.

The Junior G Man badge is cool...probably from the 30's
Some poor kid back then was no doubt bummed out when they last that

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That tank is such a cutie. A remarkable find. I'm sure you will be finding many more goodies, keep us posted.

;) RR

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Core...I like the badge. Thanks for sharing and HH!

OP
OP
core028

core028

Dec 7, 2005
North West Tennessee
Thanks for the nice comments. Yeah I have a lot of ground to cover just in my yard. I really enjoy everybodies posts and hope to make many more good finds to share with everybody. I just posted, in what is it, a pic of an old pocket knife I found about a month ago. I found it detecting a house built in 1830 and am wondering how old th knife is. Thanks again guys.

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Nice finds,Core.Like finding those old toys.That GMan badge is really cool.WTG!

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little background on the badge. It is indeed a Melvin Purvis Junior G-Man badge. These were give out as premuims by Post Cereal in boxes of Post Toasties. The Jr. G-Man badge was offered from 03/08/1936 thru 12/21/1936. The total number of badges reported made was 7,902. The Tomart catalog number for this piece is M302.

Here is a short background on Melvin Purvis:

Melvin Purvis was prpbably Post Cereal's most sucessful cereal box, newspaper and magazine-promoted personality designed to compete with the radio serials. Purvis was a true-life hero; the FBI man who supposedly ended the crime careers of many of the nations top-wanted fugitives. Contrary to information published, Joe Pinkston of the John Dillinger Museum, in Nashville Indiana, relates that Purvis ( whom he knew), did not kill Dillinger, was fired from the FBI because J. Edgar Hoover didn't like sharing the publicity, and didn't die until 1960.....of a suspected suicide.

D.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT badge! Sounds like you will be posting more goodies from that yard!

Congrats on your finds! Nana :)

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, really like the G-man badge. Thanks for posting the pictures. If I had a yard like that, I would be detecting it all my free time.

Wait till next spring when the ground is good and wet. I can't wait to see the goodies you dig out of their then.

HH, Ringfinder

OP
OP
core028

core028

Dec 7, 2005
North West Tennessee
Thanks everyone for the comments. Thanks Dharmacy for the info on the badge. I plan on detecting the yard tomorrow for a while. The temp is going to be in the high 40's and we have had some rain the past two days so the ground will be easy to dig. I'm really looking forward to deer season being over since most of the really old sites I have permission to hunt have people hunting them. So far everyone I have asked for permission to hunt their property has said " sure just wait for deer season to be over " . I don't want to mess anybodies hunt up and really don't feel like getting shot :o Well anyway I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Thanks
core

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Great finds, core. I know how you feel about the sites being 'hunted' another way, but with a yard with potential like yours...............man, if there's wheats, there's GOTTA be Mercs, Buffaloes, ....Barbers....who knows?

Continued good luck, and keep us posted!!

Roger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread