1852 3cent silver

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Havent posted in a while. Was able to get out today for some much needed me time. Returned to a farm dating to the early 1800's. I have pulled several flat buttons and other relics from this farm but today I was going to the surrounding woods for a peek. I was only in the woods for about 20 minutes before I started up to a high point on the hill. Right away I started finding old glass then the signals came. I think this coin was the third hole I dug. I didnt have a camera or video with me so I had to take a video after I got home. I was out for about 2 and a half hours and dug much trash, many square nails .shotgun shells ,ox shoes, horse shoes, and the normal clad. Was so thankfull for this little guy to pop up about 4 inches in the ground. These are tiny and I never dreamed I would get one but now I have one. It showed up as iron on my antuiqe whites classic ID. I love mother nature and this hobby.

Upvote 5

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice coin, keep up the good work!........................................HH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!!!!

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I found a '52 over the summer myself. Rang as a pull tab on my ace 150. Thought it was a jewish icon at first. Looked like star of david. Had no idea the u.s. made such a small coin. Its one of my favorites.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG H71!! Feels good to find one does'nt it? They r sooo tiny, no wonder they lost it.. CONGRATS.. HH

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very special coin! It was one of my very first old coins I found way back when. Never found another. I'm curious, where was yours buried? In the middle of a field or next to something?

A very nice early Christmas present!

WTG!

HH!

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a very special coin! It was one of my very first old coins I found way back when. Never found another. I'm curious, where was yours buried? In the middle of a field or next to something?

A very nice early Christmas present!

WTG!

HH!

I found this in the woods about 200 yards away from the old slave cabin and smack dab in the middle of nowhere. I believe I found another old home site that is long gone. I have been hunting around the old house for a while that dates to 1828 when it was established. with some luck but not much. I am really looking forward to going back in a few days to try and find a cellar hole in them there woods. The briars are still bad and woods are real thick but I am going in anyway... lol. The coin was only about 4 inches under leaves and briars. All of our area is hillside so I started walking the woods from the bottton to the top of the hill (semi) flats where this came out. I think I convinced myself that the woods are better than around the plantation. I also found the old horse and buggy road deep in the woods running along the river side. I found many square nails and other items in a 20 yard radius of the coin. One piece looks like an old hand held saw about 12 inches long. I only have video camera to show so most dont want to look at videos. Thanks for the comment and yes those guys are small but a thrill to pull out

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG H71!! Feels good to find one does'nt it? They r sooo tiny, no wonder they lost it.. CONGRATS.. HH
It felt great,,, Thanks

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty easy to take stills from video.

Congrats on a tough coin to find, and many never will.

I was lucky enough to get one last year, yes up here, it was pull tab (56-57) signal on a digital machine, 6 inches deep. 1851 and holed, but still a favorite, very unexpected find.

joeismad

Dec 7, 2012
hdmech71 said:
Havent posted in a while. Was able to get out today for some much needed me time. Returned to a farm dating to the early 1800's. I have pulled several flat buttons and other relics from this farm but today I was going to the surrounding woods for a peek. I was only in the woods for about 20 minutes before I started up to a high point on the hill. Right away I started finding old glass then the signals came. I think this coin was the third hole I dug. I didnt have a camera or video with me so I had to take a video after I got home. I was out for about 2 and a half hours and dug much trash, many square nails .shotgun shells ,ox shoes, horse shoes, and the normal clad. Was so thankfull for this little guy to pop up about 4 inches in the ground. These are tiny and I never dreamed I would get one but now I have one. It showed up as iron on my antuiqe whites classic ID. I love mother nature and this hobby.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/CdGNuoys-So

Congratulations!

Could you please post a picture of it next to a dime?

It would be great for reference.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful coin, congrats Todd!!

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beautiful coin, congrats Todd!!

Thanks Jimmy. Cant wait till you can join me agian. Also thanks for your service to our nation and its good to have you back home.

OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations!

Could you please post a picture of it next to a dime?

It would be great for reference.

Here is a Pic from my camera. This is the best I can do right now. The pick of the reed and saw is from the same spot as well. The point I found last week in another spot.

Attachments

• 1852.jpg
    1852.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 103

joeismad

Dec 7, 2012
hdmech71 said:
Here is a Pic from my camera. This is the best I can do right now. The pick of the reed and saw is from the same spot as well. The point I found last week in another spot.

Cool, thanks. That really gives some perspective to the small size of the coin. Congrats, it is a beautiful coin. I know this goes without saying, but I sure wish we still made beautiful, not to mention real, money like this today. It was a real work of art.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks. That really gives some perspective to the small size of the coin. Congrats, it is a beautiful coin. I know this goes without saying, but I sure wish we still made beautiful, not to mention real, money like this today. It was a real work of art.

I couldn't agree more, even if they used 1 dollar worth of silver, and gave it a 5 dollar face value. They make some real "JUNK" here since 1982 all steel core, they won't last long in the ground, I've already found some of this stuff with holes rotted right through them, and some are not recognizable ! that's 30 years or less.

Here's another pic. a little closer. I do hope you don't mind.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
hdmech71

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I couldn't agree more, even if they used 1 dollar worth of silver, and gave it a 5 dollar face value. They make some real "JUNK" here since 1982 all steel core, they won't last long in the ground, I've already found some of this stuff with holes rotted right through them, and some are not recognizable ! that's 30 years or less.

Here's another pic. a little closer. I do hope you don't mind.

Not at all. It is an awesome coin and pic. I also agree on the poor quality and materials used in todays coins. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread