🥇 BANNER Victorian 14k Gold pocket watch Update; This one may cut the mustard!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not posted here in a long time ! Many reasons but this find trumps it ! I thought you guys might like seeing the watch I found today . I was hunting at a very junky site I have hunted many times . I cleared two iron signals and still had a screwtop overload signal on top of the ground snug up against a little tree , I brushed away the duff up against the little tree and Gold was staring back at me. One third of the watch was not covered in dirt. I took some insituation pics of the watch with my cell phine if you are interested I could post them . I also found an Indian head a wheatie and a bunch of other junk ! The only cleaning I have done on the watch is with a natural brisssle flux brush just brushing away the dirt lodged up by the winder . I do not even dare to open it myself ! I think I should have a pro look at this watch and decide what the best steps are for conservation . What do you think ? Thanks for looking and happy Hunting ! MaineRelic. :hello2: :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_3710-001.JPG
    IMG_3710-001.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_3713-001.JPG
    IMG_3713-001.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_3716-001.JPG
    IMG_3716-001.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_3718-001.JPG
    IMG_3718-001.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_3720-001.JPG
    IMG_3720-001.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Upvote 60

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG "D" I thought you were dead. (glad your not)

Awesome find. a gold pocket watch is on my top ten list. (as I have found many base metal ones)

Congrats she's a beauty.

Don't stay away so long this time, OK

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking pocket watch, the case is done up really sweet.:hello2:
There isn't too much to indicate that it can't be opened, the flip tab will open the back cover while it might be a push down on the stem to pop the face side open. If you bring it into a master they'll be able to open it with no problem, most jewelers won't have the knowledge of this era of watch and it's operating features.

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watches like that we're generally very accurate and often the most treasured item the owner possessed. Don't you wish you could find out the history behind it? Congratulations on finding what may turn into your most treasured detector find!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cuts the Mustard, the Brie, the Lox & Bagel and in fact it is a dream find! Congratulations!!.....................63bkpkr

clicked on banner find

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a really nice pocket watch !!! They pop open from the opposite side of the hinge and will be marked on the inside as to the composition. With all that detail it must be solid gold. Keep us posted !!!

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't seen you in awhile, great to see you again and cool watch!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking watch. I've never found a complete one. Usually just find the front, back, or insides.

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Watch Update

Yesterday I took the watch to the only Swiss trained watchmaker in town. The actual watch maker was not in on saturday of course. I was able to get assistance from an apprentice just to open the watch , At least we got the back open where all the info on the watch is . It is the real deal :headbang: As you can see from the pics it is a U.S. assayed solid 14K yellow gold American Watch Co. Waltham Royal pocket watch . It has a presentation engraving on the inside cover . It reads ( Presented to Mary F xxxxxxx from her brother William Aug. 5th 1881 ) I am still researching the names so I excluded it here so no close up of the presentation engraving yet ! sorry ! At the risk of sounding sexist I did not expect this watch to be a womans watch She had a very nice brother ! From the serial # I was able to date the inner time piece . It was made in 1877. We were not able to get the face side of the watch open, It has a spring loaded clasp that is realeased by pushing down on the little button on top of the winder . This mechanism is frozen . The watch apprentice said it would not be a good idea to force it and damage it and that the watchmaker should be able to realease the clasp from the inside once he pulls the guts . The apprentice said this watch may be a good canidate for mechanical restoration . I would have had to leave it with the shop for evaluation and an estimate on the cost of the work if it can be restored . I was not ready to part with it yet as I wanted to photograph and do some research on the piece since I just got it opened up . I plan on taking back and having the watch maker examine it on Tuesday Thanks for looking and Happy hunting ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_3732-001.JPG
    IMG_3732-001.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3729-001.JPG
    IMG_3729-001.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_3724-001.JPG
    IMG_3724-001.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3722-001.JPG
    IMG_3722-001.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_3733-001.JPG
    IMG_3733-001.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

blademaker

Jul 29, 2013
Santa Fe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow what a beauty, I would love to find one, even a brass pocket watch in that condition would be great.

Shortynego

Jan 23, 2013
And the mystery deepens!! Wonder how much would you be able to find out... Keep us posted!!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an amazing find. It would be really cool to locate a great great grandchild of the owner. If you decide to do this let us know the outcome. I'm nominating this rare solid gold time piece for Banner as should every one else. If a gold coin is a shoe in for banner then there is now way this shouldn't make it.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a terrific find,that is one pretty trinket!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congratulations of a great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread