🥇 BANNER Victorian 14k Gold pocket watch Update; This one may cut the mustard!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not posted here in a long time ! Many reasons but this find trumps it ! I thought you guys might like seeing the watch I found today . I was hunting at a very junky site I have hunted many times . I cleared two iron signals and still had a screwtop overload signal on top of the ground snug up against a little tree , I brushed away the duff up against the little tree and Gold was staring back at me. One third of the watch was not covered in dirt. I took some insituation pics of the watch with my cell phine if you are interested I could post them . I also found an Indian head a wheatie and a bunch of other junk ! The only cleaning I have done on the watch is with a natural brisssle flux brush just brushing away the dirt lodged up by the winder . I do not even dare to open it myself ! I think I should have a pro look at this watch and decide what the best steps are for conservation . What do you think ? Thanks for looking and happy Hunting ! MaineRelic. :hello2: :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_3710-001.JPG
    IMG_3710-001.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IMG_3713-001.JPG
    IMG_3713-001.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_3716-001.JPG
    IMG_3716-001.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_3718-001.JPG
    IMG_3718-001.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_3720-001.JPG
    IMG_3720-001.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Upvote 60

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on make the banner, it is an awesome piece.:hello2:
ZDD

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes me wonder when it was droped being found on top of the ground ! ! MaineRelic

I'd have to say it wasn't very long at all. 1) on top of the ground, and 2) the works show practicly no rust.

Solid gold pocket watch is on my top ten list, found many watches, and parts there of, closest I've come was this year with the back half of a plated one.

Congrats on the top position, it deserves it.

Last edited:

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats a find!! ive found many silver and (gold"plated" watches, but never a solid gold, thats a real beauty, "i dont blame you one bit for not wanting to leave it at the shop. ... whatever is gold inside the watch should be intact pretty good, the face being porcelain may be cracked due to the elements, and maybe the "hinge pin would be regular metal, but if everything else is solid gold then you should be in pretty good shape, that is sooo on my wish list... the exact reason why we do this hobby! congrats on that banner find.

BillW212

Feb 6, 2013
Coatesville, PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a spectacular piece and an incredible find!

Any idea as to the significance of the designs? The one side appears to contain the letters M, O, H intertwined (M and O are bigger, H appears smaller) and the other side has a bird that I am guessing is a heron? Just wondering about those designs and if they have any meaning?

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find!!! I'd go over that area with a fine toothed comb!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MaineRelic
It makes me wonder when it was droped being found on top of the ground ! ! MaineRelic
I'd have to say it wasn't very long at all. 1) on top of the ground, and 2) the works show practicly no rust.

The works of a better made pieces would be from brass, and some of the only non-ferrous metals would be stem, hinge pin, hair spring in the balance wheel.

I have found a couple of LC Pennies just laying under the leafs in the bush over the years, no soil on the top of them. One still had a nice toned light brown color and the thought of a recent drop came to mind, but there was no way as to the location of the coin.

There is a piece of wood in the picture and I'm wondering MaineRelic if it was a log or just a large piece. It might of given the piece enough protection so the build up of organics never happened. Either way if it had been sitting there for 10 or a 100 years it's a great looking keeper.

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! I read the monogram as E M O. It is surprising that the letters don't seem to match the name in the inscription. I, too, would love to examine the inscription even if you block out portions of the names.
As far as finding it on top of the ground, I once found an 1857 nickel laying on top of the ground after a hard rain. It appeared that the soil had eroded off the coin.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find MaineRelic! :occasion14:
I'd love to see a pic of the inside and to know who made it. :thumbsup:

Dave

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a gorgeous watch! I hope you will consider doing the restore on it. Would be such a great piece--and heirloom to have in one's pocket, functioning again, and be able to say to folks who admired it "Hey, I dug this up with an metal detector and had it restored."

FANTASTIC find!

Please update with photos when the watch guy opens the face of it, and keep us updated on the restoration.

BRAVO and Congrats!

-Buck

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, wow, wow! :wav::wav::wav:

Guess husband and I WILL have to buy that vacation home in Maine if these are the types of things you can find up there! :laughing7:

Definitely deserving of Banner! Congrats on the truly beautiful watch.

Anita

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic find. Congratulations!!!!!!

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow sweet find congrats .i would bring it to a jeweler and have it looked at before opening it

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
:occasion14:VERY NICE! Congrats! I always wanted a old quailty made pocket watch.hat would be the dream old pocket watch! Beautiful! Cant wait to hear what the watch doctor says about restoration.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. Even if the guts are a mess, it would make a great display piece, or (for small ones) repurpose as a locket.I am drooling.Tigger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions