Caltrop?

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found in front of a fort built in the 1700s to protect against indian attacks. Shippensburg also was invaded by 20,000 confederates during the civil war. I know setlers used to throw these out to stop Indians in pursuit but it also stopped calvary. Does this look like civil war or french and indian war to you guys? CAM_0464.JPG

Upvote 3

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes...I was requested to change my name back to pippin...

I was confusing some people who knew my posting as pippin...several people had secret or SC initials ...

thought I posted in most of the forums that I had made the change...sorry, not attempting to confuse or hide...
on the avatar...I keep waiting for someone in Arizona,to go...."HEY, I SAW THAT PLACE"...
still hasn't happened

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes...I was requested to change my name back to pippin...

I was confusing some people who knew my posting as pippin...several people had secret or SC initials ...

thought I posted in most of the forums that I had made the change...sorry, not attempting to confuse or hide...
on the avatar...I keep waiting for someone in Arizona,to go...."HEY, I SAW THAT PLACE"...
still hasn't happened

I'm heading out to Arizona in two months for a few weeks.. Maybe I will stumble across it. Any hints on where it is?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been pointed out that there are 125 volumes containing after action reports of officers from both armies without the mention of a single caltrop. No veterinary reports of injured horses, no doctor reports of injured soldiers, no reports of purchase or freighting, no reports of loss, no after action reports of advance being slowed due to caltrops, no after action reports saying they spread caltrops, nothing anywhere, yet there are people that say "well it's logical that somebody must have done that sometime." If that line of thought is logical, especially with all the proof, why isn't it logical that they weren't used. That is unless you are getting big bucks for fake artifacts.

As far as the anatomy of a horses foot.
hoofparts3.jpg The coffin bone is in relation to the bone in your finger just under the finger nail. If you were to have a nail driven through that bone, I expect you wouldn't be picking your nose anytime soon using that finger. The iron shoe covers the hoof wall, the laminae and that part of the cannon bone closest to the ground. Anything behind that would penetrate the sole and injure the coffin bone. More toward the heel the navicular bone is sort of a ball bearing, preventing the wear on the tendon that passes over it and connects to the cannon bone. The navicular bone is free floating, and any damage to that would cripple the horse, probably beyond saving in those days, or at least make it useless for months. Today, 2 year old horses run races, and many times their bones aren't developed enough to take the strain of galloping hard, and will damage their navicular bone, which in my day the horse was really laid up for a long time, and at the very least end the racing career. I don't know what modern medicine might have done for curing that, but navicular injury would have been a serious, debilitating injury in the 1800's. During the time I was shoeing horses, roofing tacks were the most common nail horses stepped on, and I was called to work on a few. Not all the nails were long enough to penetrate deep enough to lame the horse, and I have pulled nails out that the horse or the owner didn't know was there. If the horse was lame, I would pull the nail, and shoe the horse using a leather pad between the shoe and the foot. Under the pad it would be packed with pine tar and oakum to keep mud and manure out of the wound, and as I recollect the horse was usually sound after it was shod, if not right away, in a short time. So a caltrop would cripple a horse, but if you are finding ones that are an inch or under, my thoughts are it would lame the horse until pulled out, and it would take something longer to do some bad damage.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't show him on any timeout.

One was deleted by mod other posts were deleted by creskol ....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread