Interesting story about trying to gain permission to detect a yard
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Interesting story about trying to gain permission to detect a yard

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Coin licker

Jun 2013
    New Jersey
    Minelab Excalibur II XP Deus Garrett pro pointer XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
    10939 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Interesting story about trying to gain permission to detect a yard

I went for a ride today to a place to try and get permits for state WMA's, no luck! On the way back I stopped at a old house to knock on the door. This is where I'm starting to have second thoughts. A older lady comes out of the house a little combative at first after I introduced myself as a hobbiest and all around great guy. She says "well what makes you think you can come on someone else's property and keep what is rightfully there's"? I just told her that I never said anything about keeping anything. She went on about, why are you doing this? what do you think your going to find? Have you ever found anything really worth allot of money? I fielded all her questions, telling her that I just like to pass my time doing what I do digging up other peoples trash hoping to find old coins that I think are pretty and are worth at most 20 or 30 dollars on a good day. She then said go ahead and do it, do you have your equipment? I come back with my stuff and she asked if I had a card, when I said no she says how about some ID? I hand her my licence (this is where I made my mistake and should have run) she goes up the steps out of the sun and takes a pic of my ID?? She hands it back. I start detecting and she says, "if anyone says anything, the owner didn't say you could detect here. I turned around and said who is the owner, she says " my boyfriend, but he is working so hurry up and do your thing" I just turned around and detected around the corner, around the front, down one side, back out another all the time thinking is this a good idea? I finally after about 20 minutes decided I better beat it. I said goodbye and thank you, and she was like"hey you didn't do my back yard yet, why don't you do my back yard?" She then started chewing my ear off about Lyme disease and Jessie Venturie and the Plumb Island conspiracy and I finally broke free running for my car, ha lol.

I spent a couple hours at one of my other permissions in the morning, finding this neat looking brass pendant.
    Here are some pix, enjoy and happy hunting
    Brad

Oh yeah, when I told my girlfriend about what had happened she told me what I already knew, "your a whore to metal detecting" haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, lol
    "you'll do anything to look for treasure"
    I love this hobby so much, now I'm a coin licker!

us
    Dec 2009
    NW Georgia
    Whites MXT, XLT
    527 times
    Now don't be plowing someone else's field Treble, a lot of them take that kinda personal.
    treblehunter likes this.

Dug
    us
    Feb 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    F75LTD/Gold Bug Pro/Sovereign GT.
    738 times
    Relic Hunting
    Enjoyable story, couldn't read it without grinning.

Kind of like the story about the guy crossing over another guy's property. Seeing a dog in the fellas yard he asks the guy if his dog bites to which he gets a no. So he continues on across and the dog bites him. He looks over at the fella and says I thought you said your dog doesn't bite to which the guy answers....it ain't my dog.
    treblehunter likes this.
    Cleaning up the country side, one shotgun shell at a time.

us
    Mar 2013
    Pa
    Ace 350 AT Pro
    520 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by treblehunter View Post
    I went for a ride today to a place to try and get permits for state WMA's, no luck! On the way back I stopped at a old house to knock on the door. This is where I'm starting to have second thoughts. A older lady comes out of the house a little combative at first after I introduced myself as a hobbiest and all around great guy. She says "well what makes you think you can come on someone else's property and keep what is rightfully there's"? I just told her that I never said anything about keeping anything. She went on about, why are you doing this? what do you think your going to find? Have you ever found anything really worth allot of money? I fielded all her questions, telling her that I just like to pass my time doing what I do digging up other peoples trash hoping to find old coins that I think are pretty and are worth at most 20 or 30 dollars on a good day. She then said go ahead and do it, do you have your equipment? I come back with my stuff and she asked if I had a card, when I said no she says how about some ID? I hand her my licence (this is where I made my mistake and should have run) she goes up the steps out of the sun and takes a pic of my ID?? She hands it back. I start detecting and she says, "if anyone says anything, the owner didn't say you could detect here. I turned around and said who is the owner, she says " my boyfriend, but he is working so hurry up and do your thing" I just turned around and detected around the corner, around the front, down one side, back out another all the time thinking is this a good idea? I finally after about 20 minutes decided I better beat it. I said goodbye and thank you, and she was like"hey you didn't do my back yard yet, why don't you do my back yard?" She then started chewing my ear off about Lyme disease and Jessie Venturie and the Plumb Island conspiracy and I finally broke free running for my car, ha lol. I spent a couple hours at one of my other permissions in the morning, finding this neat looking brass pendant. Here are some pix, enjoy and happy hunting Brad Oh yeah, when I told my girlfriend about what had happened she told me what I already knew, "your a whore to metal detecting" haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, lol "you'll do anything to look for treasure"
    Very funny.
    treblehunter likes this.

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    14481 times
    She knows you oh so well! Lol!

You were lucky to leave there with your ears attached!

Nice bunch of finds!

I love it when people think we always dig up gold! We used to go to the beach after work, I would detect and hubby walked, per doctors advice. When he passed by on the side walk he would yell "Gold! Gold!" So everybody looks at me! I would like to have buried him in the sand every time he did that!
    treblehunter likes this.

us
    Anthony

May 2013
    City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
    Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
    6652 times
    Man you got some brass, I think ya no what I mean..anyway I'll just stay in the the park..i have a mother in law like this..best of luck to buddy....
    treblehunter likes this.

Stumbles In Corn ..........(Thanks Treblehunter!)

Apr 2012
    South of the Mason-Dixon Line
    Garrett AT-PRO, Garrett Groundhog, Pro-Pointer, Jack Hammer!
    16096 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Whenever I ask for permission and they start in on a third degree, I thank them but remember a toothache I'd scheduled for that time.

There is just plain too much nowadays! How did they put it? "An overabundance of caution." ?

If I were you, I'd keep an eye on my bank account. Might start getting a few extra credit card bills too.
    They want my ID? I tell them my name is Whadifind. That's it.
    treblehunter likes this.
    "A good day has no rain. A bad day; is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been." -Paul Simon

If you need to fill some time: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...ent-hobby.html

Charter Member
    us
    John

Feb 2013
    Arkansas
    I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, Nokta Anfibio, White’s TRX, Profind 35
    1343 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow, psycho.

I would hope she deletes the picture or she may show her deranged boyfriend. lol.
    treblehunter likes this.

Oct 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    CTX3030
    853 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    From the sounds of everything I just read...you must be from new jersey. I am also. Why you can kill animals , shoot bullets and arrows and NOT be able to dig a small hole to retreave a coin in a WMA just boggles my mind. Not to mention we as taxpayers own it. I understand historic areas are off limits. But WMA s ?.
    treblehunter likes this.

ca
    Fisherman

Aug 2013
    Nova Scotia
    FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
    1039 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    LOLOL...great story.....

She prolly has a dungeon and chains in her basement....with your name on them !!!!!

I woulda ran...without detecting !!
    treblehunter likes this.

us
    Coin licker

Jun 2013
    New Jersey
    Minelab Excalibur II XP Deus Garrett pro pointer XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
    10939 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WHADIFIND View Post
    Whenever I ask for permission and they start in on a third degree, I thank them but remember a toothache I'd scheduled for that time.

There is just plain too much nowadays! How did they put it? "An overabundance of caution." ?

If I were you, I'd keep an eye on my bank account. Might start getting a few extra credit card bills too.
    They want my ID? I tell them my name is Whadifind. That's it.
    Yeah, I can't believe I just gave up my id like that It really is scary, knowing what info is on that ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
    Wow, psycho.

I would hope she deletes the picture or she may show her deranged boyfriend. lol.
    About a mile down the road I figure the boyfriend will be looking for me tomorrow. I might have to pack some heat for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony12100 View Post
    From the sounds of everything I just read...you must be from new jersey. I am also. Why you can kill animals , shoot bullets and arrows and NOT be able to dig a small hole to retreave a coin in a WMA just boggles my mind. Not to mention we as taxpayers own it. I understand historic areas are off limits. But WMA s ?.
    The Taxpayers don't pay for NJ WMA's they are paid for from licence fees and permits. Hunters and fishermen paid for that land and a taxpayer that never hunted or fished has public privilege to use that land. Everyone of the higher ups that I have spoke to all say the same thing. That they were not capable to keep up with the demand for permits so they just outlawed it until otherwise changed.
    I love this hobby so much, now I'm a coin licker!

Oct 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    CTX3030
    853 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I find it hard to believe that WMA are solely purchased and maintained by hunting and fishing license purchases. Sounds like nj would benefit from selling metal detecting permits just like county parks do. Hey there's no way a good detectorist could do as much damage as the hunters that leave shot gun shells and beer cans. And the fishing line and trash fisherman leave.

Oct 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    CTX3030
    853 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I hunt and I fish..I pay about 250.00 per year for permits. I am also a state employee that performs services in WMA that I know is not funded but hunting and fishing permits.

Mar 2014
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Omega 8000
    141 times
    2 Legged Deer
    Heard this the other day. "They are using cell towers to project parabolic beams, that's how they project those images you see on the news"
    treblehunter likes this.

Oct 2013
    Southern New Jersey
    CTX3030
    853 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    That was a crazy story though...lol. Maybe someday we can detect nj state owned WMA S legaly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links