734.2 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 8

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please don't take this as a personal slam, ok- it's just I have some questions

I have no idea of what your or most of the other debaters qualifications are in regards to the CTX or the Dues is besides some video clip tests on the internet, or what amount personal knowledge of detecting.

So here it goes from my perspective of the air testing the video ,and that's what it is an air test. I know for a fact that the Minelabs hate air and that means freshly tilled fluffy soils, long grass, AIR! Taking a look at this video it's a simple fact that one detector can out perform another doing the test, and that's all it does it makes believers out of folks that look at things through a virtual world.

Now throw in the real world and what a machine can do in certain site, iron filled, wide open, the CTX sounds like a machine gun of tones going off, the swing time of the coil has to slow down to a crawl, sure the processor is faster than the previous models but there is limitations to everything. Reading reports on the Dues from folks that are comparing apples to apples are the ones that have sound merit, the early reports from them is positive, and the machine has some serious options to consider for any serious high end machine buyers, weight is the first thing that comes to me as a serious option. If I'm comfortable I'll hunt better, simple fact, than having a feeling of a knife being shoved between the shoulder blades from swinging the machine for 10hrs a day and doing this for days on end.

Learning a machine is one the biggest factors when it comes to any average hunter, slowing down, swinging the coil like a pancake instead of a banana, and putting in the time with the machine. This comes from swinging one of these inventions for 45yrs, putting in time on the machine and learning something new each time I go out. So still I know that there's a huge degree of learning a machine that I've used for 3.5 yrs and to accept the fact that there is no rhyme or reason I can hunt a site to death and still on another day pull keepers out with the same machine.

Is purchasing a Dues on the list of wants? The jury is still out on this one as there's chance if there's high positive reports from folks that I know and knowing that their views aren't changed because of the price tag, or brand loyalty, it's based on true in field workings of the machines regardless.

Now I'll duck :laughing7:

I am going to step back on the wagon for one more short second and make an exit. I do this to give credit for the above remark. I agree with you 100% concerning using a detector and understanding it first hand and not worry about Uboob videos or opinions.

For me, both the Deus and CTX are great machines for different reasons. I have a 15 months on the CTX with about 12-20 hours a week on it and 9 months on the Deus with about 12 hours a week average on it. I was still learning the Deus when I let it go. I cannot say which one I would prefer if I had to pick just one. It would depend on the ground. I think they both have enough strengths to warrant buying one each and using both for different situations (e.g. Deus for trashy areas and relic hunting especially around trees, etc.). I mainly liked the CTX and so I let the Deus go. I am sure that I will come back one day.

Let the debate continue, I will not answer back up and ignore it when it comes back up to the top of the threads. Thanks for allowing me my slightly informed opinion.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I swung any of those machines for as long as I have with others, I would no longer be detecting, so the answer for me is simple when you get a high performer with next to no wait. More importantly, we will have a years worth of GPS data to compare it to a lesser model & Dads Cortes. I will have the data to decide whether the investment was worth it. Although as its my first year learning curve you will need to make allowances.
It'll be really interesting to see what you decide with using the Dues, yes the learning curve will have a factor for a good part of a season or so as would any other machine.
Would some of it be a machine vs machine hunting? What I mean is do an area with one, then go over the same area with the other model, this would only apply for areas that have a high concentration of targets.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am going to step back on the wagon for one more short second and make an exit. I do this to give credit for the above remark. I agree with you 100% concerning using a detector and understanding it first hand and not worry about Uboob videos or opinions.

For me, both the Deus and CTX are great machines for different reasons. I have a 15 months on the CTX with about 12-20 hours a week on it and 9 months on the Deus with about 12 hours a week average on it. I was still learning the Deus when I let it go. I cannot say which one I would prefer if I had to pick just one. It would depend on the ground. I think they both have enough strengths to warrant buying one each and using both for different situations (e.g. Deus for trashy areas and relic hunting especially around trees, etc.). I mainly liked the CTX and so I let the Deus go. I am sure that I will come back one day.

Let the debate continue, I will not answer back up and ignore it when it comes back up to the top of the threads. Thanks for allowing me my slightly informed opinion.

Thanks for the reply
Is the liking the dues for relic hunting mainly for ergonomics of the machine for going around trees, plus the capabilities of target separation in trashy areas?

I'm thinking of a few spots where I haven't had a satisfying feeling that I've gotten everything because of the trash even though the level of ability for the CTX is maxed out I believe. Then again it might be a case of no machine(present time) having the ability to separate out multi layers of targets.

One more question regarding the Deus and how does it run with the effects of air, as in freshly ploughed fields or longer grass, as stated before the Minelabs are known for having problems with this?

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pepperj - the Deus is crazy in air. I can get 15" on a KG in my living room. Diggable signal. I can only assume that this characteristic translates somewhat to freshly plowed, fluffy soil. The CTX guys stay away from my field after it's plowed. That's when I swoop in and clean up!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'll be really interesting to see what you decide with using the Dues, yes the learning curve will have a factor for a good part of a season or so as would any other machine.
Would some of it be a machine vs machine hunting? What I mean is do an area with one, then go over the same area with the other model, this would only apply for areas that have a high concentration of targets.

Its not much of a competition but Dad will be gridding next to me with his Cortes. I would like him to change to the XP GMP but he is stuck in his ways. All the sites I will be able to compare to many years of using the GMP on them, but I'm not investing in a heavy machine to see if its any better. I know the Deus will be plenty deep enough for what I want & with my style of hunting the deep dig will slow my area searches down. ie instead of 30 seconds beep,dig & recover, it might increase to an average of 1 minute 30 seconds. The decrease in acre coverage needs to yeild the right results & not just deep junk, thats the balance. I will have to evolve a new style dependant on every sites situation. The Deus gives me that flexibility to quickly swap between 4 different machines (& by that I mean Freq).

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its not much of a competition but Dad will be gridding next to me with his Cortes. I would like him to change to the XP GMP but he is stuck in his ways. All the sites I will be able to compare to many years of using the GMP on them, but I'm not investing in a heavy machine to see if its any better. I know the Deus will be plenty deep enough for what I want & with my style of hunting the deep dig will slow my area searches down. ie instead of 30 seconds beep,dig & recover, it might increase to an average of 1 minute 30 seconds. The decrease in acre coverage needs to yeild the right results & not just deep junk, thats the balance. I will have to evolve a new style dependant on every sites situation. The Deus gives me that flexibility to quickly swap between 4 different machines (& by that I mean Freq).

So when are you going to pull the trigger?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coinman123... why the pics of coins that do not exist?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread