Platinum Treasure!!! One Troy Once!!! Unique!!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Final Edit 1/30/2015 : The test results are in: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/448872-platinum-fork-test-results.html

I found this fork a few days ago along with some other less expensive treasures (mostly various grades of silver). Completed my research today and have come to the stunning conclusion that this is in fact... a 95% pure Platinum fork - solid Platinum with a gold plating - made by Cartier. This very well may be one of the most expensive pieces of cutlery in existence. Considering it weights 30.9 grams (1/5th of a gram shy of 1 Troy Ounce) I think it may very well be the single largest piece of platinum ever posted to this website. It's certainly the biggest piece of platinum I've ever found! I'm still shaking from the rush!! :headbang:

DSC08636.JPG DSC08638.JPG

Here's the story. Over the past week I've been pounding that old site by the shore again and again but this time using the new ExCal-II. It was a bit of a learning curve as I'd only used my new ExCal-II once before this. What a difference. The sandy/salty soil was no problem for the ExCal-II and the deep signals were coming in loud and clear. Ended up finding a ton more artifacts (silver, copper, iron, more globs of lead) - all much deeper finds than my other detector was able to handle. No more 18th century pepper pots unfortunately (I was hoping for a trifecta). I did however find, among other things, a sterling silver mechanical pencil (Victorian-age from the looks of it), an 80% silver olive fork, three hand-carved sterling spoons, a pewter dish, some broken pieces of porcelain, glass, and even what looks like to be a piece of an old shoe. I will post all these finds and more later in one massive post once I'm sure I've unearthed everything.

Anyway, this post is about the crowning jewel of the finds so far - the Platinum fork. I dug it up shortly after finding the sterling mechanical pencil. When I first saw the platinum fork it was all black just like all the silver in that area. I rubbed the dirt off (I know, I'm still kicking myself for doing such a stupid thing) and it revealed a golden luster - I assumed it to be a gold plated fork of either silver or some other cheaper metal. Into the bag it went and the hunt continued. At the end of each day I would clean and photograph my finds. I noticed the "950" hallmark during this time a few days ago.

The "950" is stamped in an "upside-down shield". I first saw this mark when I examined the fork the day I found it. I assumed it to be a sterling mark for 95% silver. I checked online a few times but really I had pretty much concluded it just had to be a type of silver. Today I did some in depth research and discovered that there is absolutely no sterling mark that resembles this hallmark. I did further research of other precious metal hallmarks besides silver and was stunned - the mark was listed as one of 4 types of platinum hallmarks. According to my research this platinum hallmark represents the second highest purity of platinum - 95%!! There is a crown above the "950", a little symbol that looks like an "R" directly above the "950", and a little "M" to the right of the "950". On the right side of the fork it says "Made in France" and on the left side it says "Cartier". There is also what appears to be some kind of etched serial number, possibly "1040". The piece weights 30.9 grams - almost exactly one troy ounce making it worth just about $1,200 in melt value.

The unknown: How old is this piece? I've had trouble dating this piece as hallmark charts by Cartier don't appear online in detail.

One thing is for certain Cartier is not known for cranking out platinum cutlery. I have a feeling this may have been a custom made piece. If so it may be unimaginably rare and expensive. My feeling is that it is worth way over its melt value of $1.2K - perhaps its worth $5k+ who knows? I will have to get it professionally appraised. Until then the hunt continues!!! :D Arg! Now with all this new swag I feel like a true pirate! :skullflag: :blackbeard: :laughing7:

Edit: Okay, it's officially confirmed. What I initially thought was an "R" stamp is in fact a "PT" stamp, "PT" means Platinum! "PT 950 M" is a high-strength Platinum alloy. The M stands for the 5% other metal added with the Platinum most likely Ruthenium! I'm on cloud 9 right now! :D

Platinum stamp along with hallmark chart:
Fork Hallmark.jpg appendix2_1.jpg

Cartier markings along the sides:
DSC08643.JPG DSC08646.JPG

Fork on my scale, note 30.9 gram weight:
DSC08647.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 53

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
MasterJedi, you know what? You're right, pure platinum does not naturally tarnish but most often platinum is alloyed with other metals (i know the OP said gold) but other times its copper or cobalt. Guess what? Copper tarnishes (see 99% of any TNET post regarding a dug mostly copper coin). Platinum can also tarnish when exposed to things it would not naturally be exposed to..elements like chlorine, ingredients in certain man made chemicals, etc. When taken into consideration, it is possible that certain elements in the soil/ground where this item was found (as I recall it was found in a shoreline area close to NYC) who knows what kinda chemicals dropped into the water that washed up/mixed with the ground conditions and affected this fork? As was said it is marked at 950 platinum, that means 50 parts per thousand are those other prone to tarnish metals I mentioned above.

Now, I'm not an expert on tarnish, parts per thousand as it relates to alloyed metals but I can research and unless this item was 100% platinum, the possibility of tarnish yet still be platinum is possible.

In the end, you may be absolutely right that this just a silver or a non-platinum item (maybe a misplaced hallmark, remarked, who knows <insert your alternate theory here>) but I loathe when a tautological argument is made about an item.

May the Force be with you.

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was a fire...Where there's one, there might be more!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there would be fewer doubters here if it were a piece of jewelry. Hard to imagine being so rich that you eat with a platinum fork! But anything's possible...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An absolutely beautiful piece! Congratulations!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeBirdTim , It is unbelievable but I know I've seen a massive complete service in Solid Gold -( I'm thinking it was in a book on
metal work that I used to own) - Might have been Tsar Nicholas II , or perhaps Queen Victoria - Would we expect anything less
from Kings , Queens , and Tsars ? Tiffany , and Cartier , and Faberge , were capable of producing at this level of extravagance.
Some of the finest "modern" metal work in terms of sheer beauty + materials used + highest caliber workmanship in my
estimation is exemplified in the work of Peter Carl Faberge . He did extensive work for Tsar Nicholas II - most famously the
eggs presented to the Royal Family at Easter - but also Cigarette cases , exquisite enameled boxes etc.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Platinum that is not pure CAN have a slight tarnish...
This is not pure... it is cut to 950...
Used an alloy like copper prolly...
Because some alloys (such as copper) tarnish...
Platinum usually tarnishes when exposed to chemicals like chlorine...
and the oils from our skin...
You can remove it by using ammonia.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
half and half... water ammonia in small bowl/cup...
Soak for half hour...
use cloth if needed soaked in solution...
rinse...
dry with soft cloth.
It is worth more clean :) heh ...
PS... Again a TOP NOTCH find.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as this piece being "real"...
I have no doubt...
Does anyone here posting understand who Cartier was ?
heh
Tis real...
You need appraisel immediately.
DO NOT SCRAP !!!
Don't let some idiot test either.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone here posting understand who Cartier was ?heh

You're right, if it's stamped Cartier it must be real. By the way, I've got a really nice Rolex I can sell you for $100! It has the Rolex name on it, so it must be real!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I truly hope this piece is legit and platinum. You know what they say about opinions .....

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as this piece being "real"...
I have no doubt...
Does anyone here posting understand who Cartier was ?
heh
Tis real...
You need appraisel immediately.
DO NOT SCRAP !!!
Don't let some idiot test either.

A simple scratch test won't damage it. And it takes about 5 seconds

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can buy watches all day long in the islands that look just like rolexes and say rolex on them but are not made by rolex.... its so awesome how so many people want to believe in something just to believe in something .... :) sure wish I could do that... I hope its real....
I hope Im wrong... their is a Journey song "Dont stop believing".... big smile...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, if it's stamped Cartier it must be real. By the way, I've got a really nice Rolex I can sell you for $100! It has the Rolex name on it, so it must be real!

You think someone is going to fake a shrimp cocktail fork...?
Out of all the things to fake by Cartier... a cocktail fork ? lol

Only people who know wtf they are doing in this biz handle things such as this...
Would never pass...
The name Cartier does not mean anything to the regular joe.
The name is worth 3 times what the fork is made out of.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I found this fork a few days ago along with some other less expensive treasures (mostly various grades of silver). Completed my research today and have come to the stunning conclusion that this is in fact... a 95% pure Platinum fork - solid Platinum with a gold plating - made by Cartier. This very well may be one of the most expensive pieces of cutlery in existence. Considering it weights 30.9 grams (1/5th of a gram shy of 1 Troy Ounce) I think it may very well be the single largest piece of platinum ever posted . "

Is it just me ? Any one else want to stick their neck out ?
I have re- read the rules and I am having difficulty with the evil troll that lives under my bridge . May we see the less expensive pieces of silver keep sakes and treasure that you mention in this thread , you know, the ones you have not posted ? Has there been a recent burglaries at the Rockefeller Estate or Gloria Vanderbilt's Mansion ?
I don't want to come across as skeptical but it is unbelievable and unusual that are you are finding thousands of dollars worth of extravagant items in the dirt every time you hunt . Not that anything is wrong with that .

Again these are great finds , but there has to be an explanation. I keep trying to figure this out , :icon_scratch: but something does not add up and
not sure how to comment when the find is possibly a 15 hundred dollar fork..............:dontknow:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I found this fork a few days ago along with some other less expensive treasures (mostly various grades of silver). Completed my research today and have come to the stunning conclusion that this is in fact... a 95% pure Platinum fork - solid Platinum with a gold plating - made by Cartier. This very well may be one of the most expensive pieces of cutlery in existence. Considering it weights 30.9 grams (1/5th of a gram shy of 1 Troy Ounce) I think it may very well be the single largest piece of platinum ever posted . "

I have re- read the rules and I am having difficulty with the evil troll that lives under my bridge . May we see the less expensive pieces of silver keep sakes and treasure that you mention in this thread , you know, the ones you have not posted ? Has there been a recent burglaries at the Rockefeller Estate or Gloria Vanderbilt's Mansion ?
I don't want to come across as skeptical but it is unbelievable and unusual that are you are finding thousands of dollars worth of extravagant items in the dirt every time you hunt . Not that anything is wrong with that .

Again these are great finds , but there has to be an explanation. I keep trying to figure this out , :icon_scratch: but something does not add up and
not sure how to comment when the find is possibly a 15 hundred dollar fork..............:dontknow:

Agreed strange...
Not agreed in value...
My guess...
3,600-5,000 at the right auction
Minimum... 2500 value... and that would be scrapping it in my book.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One reason I always try to post precleaned pics is to remove any doubt that anybody has. But the other reason is that I really enjoy seeing the difference from a dirty just dug find to the cleaned up and posed pics. Let me be clear here. I am in no way questioning anybody here. But those dirty pics are worth a thousand words. Furthermore they're often my favorites. I know that my tree coin pic where it's covered in dirt except for one small spot where you can see the branches glistening in the sun is by far my favorite. It takes me right back to the moment that I realized what I'd just found

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MeWithMelsGold.jpg

I agree... only some things come out looking just like this. :)
Sorry ... no pics of it coming out... heh

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1110854

I agree... only some things come out looking just like this. :)
Sorry ... no pics of it coming out... heh

I can assure you that zero things I've found have come out looking like that :-) because I am gold less. And yes I agree that gold can come out beautifully but that is the exception to the rule

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
X

I have been wondering the same thing. It does seem highly unlikely and odd. I wonder how all of this stuff got there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions