Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out prospecting between thunderstorms yesterday and found this. Not what you would call a normal find but interesting to me non the less. Another of the advantages to getting out and metal detecting is being able to observe things you don't ordinarily pay attention to. It's called a Luna Moth and is of the silkworm variety. It's quite large, about the size of a post it note. Monty

Attachments

• Moth 002.jpg
    Moth 002.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,616
Upvote 0

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Discovery, Monty.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the cocoon earlier in the week and wondered if it was some kind of moth. I saw him right after he emerged but didn't have my camera. Next day he was just a few inches from where he emerged and was all spread out like the pic. Then the next morning he was gone. I read where they only fly and mate in the dark. Then they lay their eggs and die. Their life cycle is only a few days after the moth stage. When I looked it up, there was a picture of their caterpillar that was a big fat green fellow. Monty

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Mothra reborn---- reminds me the old japanese "monster" movies I watched as a kid. something vs whatever----------- ;D ;D ;D

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
those are pretty cool, at my folks horse barn i see them and many other large moths, they are attracted to the type of light they have hanging

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
gold fish said:
Actually Double D, it's spelled Cecropia, so you weren't far off. Monty, what state are you in ?? Because this is REALLY early to see a Luna, it's actualy kinda spooky.

For more great bug pictures go check out "whatsthatbug.com" really cool site, with some great photos.
WOW! Once again I was close. I'm not as old as my kids tell me I am. Now If I could remember their darn names Id tell em so. Well, either way both kinds of moths were rare in my neighborhood in Mich. HH dave. :)

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Nice to stop and smell the roses, isn't it?
Very thoughtfull of you to take a photo to share.

Removed erroneous link

Bluezman

Paul in TN

Mar 26, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
white's M6
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Those aren't moths those are Dragons, don't upset it or it will turn into a full size Dragon and eat you!!
Hmmmm, I think I have been playing to much WoW!!
Or watching Earagon.LOL
Paul

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that the one that they show in the Lunesta sleep aid commercial?...Either way it's beautiful and I haven't seen one in years. Thanks for the post!

DANGLANGLEY

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Gee, I have never seen one of those. At first I thought it was some kind of plant, but what do I know... :D

I really got an eduction today. Nice picture too.

Thanks for posting that, it was an enjoyable read.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My post is about a Luna Moth, someone else commented on the Cecropia Moth. When the Luna moth has its wings folded it looks just like a green leaf. Wings open it looks like it has two enormous eyes, thus fooling prey into thinking it is some kind of a big beast. Pretty cool camoflage huh? We have both kinds of moth here but you really have to look to find them. If old Luna had got onto a tree branch there's no way I would have seen him....uh her???, how the heck to you sex a moth? Come on dirty minds, I don't mean sex that way! I know this bunch too well! ::) Monty

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Monty said:
My post is about a Luna Moth, someone else commented on the Cecropia Moth. When the Luna moth has its wings folded it looks just like a green leaf. Wings open it looks like it has two enormous eyes, thus fooling prey into thinking it is some kind of a big beast. Pretty cool camoflage huh? We have both kinds of moth here but you really have to look to find them. If old Luna had got onto a tree branch there's no way I would have seen him....uh her???, how the heck to you sex a moth? Come on dirty minds, I don't mean sex that way! I know this bunch too well! ::) Monty
nice pic of the moth monty. never seen one. there used to be alot of wild life, like toads and turtles around here but for some reason you do not see things like that in ky anymore. or the town were i live. i used to go frog gigging years ago but now its hard to find them in ponds and lakes.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
frogs are a key critter when they go missing the habitat is suffering badly.----there have been outbeaks of frog diseases that have just about wiped out frogs in some areas.

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
ivan salis said:
frogs are a key critter when they go missing the habitat is suffering badly.----there have been outbeaks of frog diseases that have just about wiped out frogs in some areas.
your right about that and then people finding them with 3 or 4 legs :o and other things like that. im no al gore but some things wroung :P

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool moth, Monty. An unusual find, at least around here. We had one a few years ago on our house. It was the first time I had ever seen one. Thanks for sharing!

HH

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a program on TV a few years ago that blamed the decline of amphibians (frogs, toads, etc) on the increase of ultraviolet from the thinning of the ozone layers. Seems they can't take large doses of ultraviolet light. But I haven't seen or read anything about it since, so? Perhaps just a theory? I know we use to have bullfrogs at just about every little water hole but now you hardly ever see or hear one. I know they raise them commercially for their legs, but they are scarce in the wild. I miss their old loud croak along about dark around here. M :'( nty

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
The moth's are beautiful, but the worms are NASTY ! We call em tomato worms around here. They will strip a plant over night if you don't catch them right away and they are very hard to see because they camo so well on a tomato plant. The worms are as big and impressive as the moth. Big ole honkers that are 1/2 inch around and get 4 inches long with a big spike on the tail.

As far as bullfrogs...i have a pond and never had any bullfrogs. I have tons of the little frog guys, but haven't seen nor heard a bullfrog in 11 years out in that pond.

Handyman

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty, the easiest way to tell the gender of a moth is to look at the antenna. If they are broad, it's a male, if narrow, it's a female. The females release a scent to attract a mate, and the larger antenna of the males help them to home in on the source.

Always knew that degree in entomology would come in handy some day.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if moths are like birds, the male being the most colorful? Come to think of it I guess mammals are the only animals that the male isn't the bright colored one? Well, except for a few exceptions in the genus homo saphien. :D Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread