Spanish Silver, 6 Coppers, Shoe Buckle, Heel Plate, 17 Buttons

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a rare day and a half of solid hunting. Saturday morning I went looking for a mid 1600svtavern that apparently didn't want to be found....but I found two cellar holes unexpectedly. Not as old as I like but they were there so I started searching. Buttons and coppers came quick then I found a beautiful brass heel plate. I also found a really ugly Spanish silver but I'm always happy to have them. I got home last night and took my stuff out. No heel plate. I walked over 7 miles and figured I'd never find it. I was pretty bummed and decided that I would get up super early and go look for it as I thought I may know approximately where I lost it. I got in there early this morning and quickly found it. I was psyched as its a cool design and a nice thick solid brass plate. I decided that I wanted to go somewhere older and headed back to my truck. Nailed a couple more buttons on the way out. I got to the next site and eventually found the colonial cellar hole. Dug a couple of buttons early on and then got a nice 88 signal and after a battle with some tree roots got the shoe buckle out. I also found a nice old hoe as well. After cleaning up the 6 coppers I've decided from now on I'm only hunting 16 and 1700s sites. I'm so sick of digging toasted coppers I don't care if I ever see another. One of the coppers is a KGii that may be counterfeit. It's got some weird rust spots on it. Theres a large cent and two tokens as well. Ones an 1837 Canadian bank token. The spanish I 1782 I think? Never dug this many keepers so quickly in my life. But from now on its the real old stuff or bust. I know I'm spoiled but I'm just being honest. Good luck out there guys
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 29

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Attaboy Abe - that was a killer hunt although I know you were looking for the earlier stuff. Congrats on all those coins, especially the silver, but the best find might be that cool heel plate. Keep at it man!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
now that's a productive hunt! Some of those coppers are in pretty good condition too. Always nice to pick up some Spanish silver too!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Double find on the Heel plate, never seen them like that yet :occasion14: Love that Spanish silver also :treasurechest:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt...anytime you come away with Spanish silver you know it's a success!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff Ahab! Now that's my kind of detecting. Clad just doesn't do anything for me, but when you get to the old stuff my heart starts pumping. Nice going and I'm spoiled too! That happens along the east coast when the the whole coast goes back to the 1600's.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the same way. I'm not happy unless I'm diggin' up stuff from the 1700's. Nice KG Hogge

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer hunts and finds bud. Know what you mean about only wanting to hit the older sites.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now really Abe are you not happy with the results? :) You got spanked on the copper but made up for it with the silver and the great heel plate, really liking the design of this one. Well done and all the best getting your wish on the older site.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh lord! That tree coin created a spoiled baby. thats a monster day of detecting regardless what you say [emoji1]

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wicked cool day man:occasion14: love that heel plate and silver:headbang: everything that I'm looking at hitting this spring is 1753-1792. The only bad thing I see with the early sites is lack of gold coins but I guess that's ok8-)

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great hunt! Silver may be wore but make no mistake it is what it is!! congrats

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab, your toasted coppers are like our pop tops...you just have to dig them! I'll take a toasted copper over a corroded zinc in a heart beat!

Congrats those are nice finds! The heel plate is really nice looking! Silver is a good thing in anyone's book.

You are really determined to pull out some old goodies, sometimes they are found in unusual places. Go for it! GL & HH!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW Abe! You are rolling at full speed now. Congrats on the really killer finds. GL&HH.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we look at things in a similar same way, and at least when you're digging that much you gave yourself a shot! A Spanish silver, many coppers, and some relics, is better than a whole lot of days I've had, and will be for a whole lot you will have too.... just give it a decade or so. :)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Abe. It's tough to find sites where the coppers turn out nice. But where there's coppers there's usually early silver. Plus you are in the right time frame to find early military buttons. You won't find a marked military button on a 17th or early 18th century site.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Can I say..
That would be a banner Day & Half , for me anytime.

Ill take your leftovers anytime.
nice haul..
Davers

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest: