Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Due to the flooding in SC I was forced to try out some higher ground near Gheenoe78 and I's Rev War honey hole. I've worked the area briefly in the past, but quickly got discouraged by the amount of trash deposited by previous storms. While today was no different, lots of trash did give way to a killer find- Revolutionary War 37th Regiment of Foot button! The button has some edge loss however a faint border is present, 16mm in diameter, heavy lead/pewter composition, with a 37 centered on the front. The reverse has the remnants of a shank and possibly the benchmark of R L?

1.jpg 2.jpg 20151005_210703_resized.jpg 20151005_210841_resized.jpg

A bit of info on the 37th: In April of 1776 they joined in the unsuccessful campaign of Charleston, SC in May and June. By 1777 they had joined Howe's main army for the New York campaign, including Long Island and Fort Washington. The closest match in Troiani's book is example p/q pictured below.

IMG_20151005_214135939.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Upvote 13
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You don't see an outline for a crown at the top on the pic I posted? It's as clear as the "R"

Casting in lead would certainly be an exception, and maybe unlikely for a British button, but I'm sure it's plenty possible. Size doesn't really matter as the buttons vary so much a seal would always fall into range unless it's too big. Continental Light Dragoons are cast in lead, but of course they are the other side so not really relevant. There might be other examples in the book but I don't recall any. I do have an early style anchor cast in lead and with the shank missing it's hard to same whether it was American, or French, but I have seen quite a few dug in France and never a lead one... and lead is closer to pewter, so I guess it might be American.

I just took it back out and really studied the reverse. Running my finger over the back, the are no impressions other than at the center. This circular impression I originally speculated was the remnants of the shank. The rest of the back is smooth- guessing the "lettering/crest" illusion is just the top layer erosion of the lead playing tricks on our eyes.

That still leads to the mystery of the 37...if there isn't a precedent for British cast lead buttons perhaps it may be American made. Maybe a loyalist looking to replicate the British unit?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took it back out and really studied the reverse. Running my finger over the back, the are no impressions other than at the center. This circular impression I originally speculated was the remnants of the shank. The rest of the back is smooth- guessing the "lettering/crest" illusion is just the top layer erosion of the lead playing tricks on our eyes.

That still leads to the mystery of the 37...if there isn't a precedent for British cast lead buttons perhaps it may be American made. Maybe a loyalist looking to replicate the British unit?

A 37th soldier could always field cast a button in lead... not beyond the realm of possibility. A Loyalist wouldn't really have a reason to, at least not one with 37 on it. Also can't see why an American would do it as it resembles nothing they wore... at least that I can think of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A 37th soldier could always field cast a button in lead... not beyond the realm of possibility. A Loyalist wouldn't really have a reason to, at least not one with 37 on it. Also can't see why an American would do it as it resembles nothing they wore... at least that I can think of.

That's what I am thinking as well, can't be 100% certain but the script 37 is so close to the know cuff examples. The 37th did serve in Charleston for a year so the unit makes sense as well. As always, thanks for the input IP

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Rev War find man at least you can ID it..
You may be able to clean it up a bit..

~Blaze~

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I am thinking as well, can't be 100% certain but the script 37 is so close to the know cuff examples. The 37th did serve in Charleston for a year so the unit makes sense as well. As always, thanks for the input IP

My gut is a seal. Another thing that pushes me that way is not only would it have to be a variant not listed in the book, it would have to be one with know border around the edge of the button as I think it's pretty unlikely to see the number fairly clear and no sign of the design at the edge. I always try to be very objective, and to be honest I thought I posted earlier and said something very different, but that's because I was in a hurry and didn't take to the time to think it through.... and apparently actually post what I had written. So my post was just going to be a pat on the back.... well still is as it's a neat find, but to me all the little things added up point more at lead seal.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My gut is a seal. Another thing that pushes me that way is not only would it have to be a variant not listed in the book, it would have to be one with know border around the edge of the button as I think it's pretty unlikely to see the number fairly clear and no sign of the design at the edge. I always try to be very objective, and to be honest I thought I posted earlier and said something very different, but that's because I was in a hurry and didn't take to the time to think it through.... and apparently actually post what I had written. So my post was just going to be a pat on the back.... well still is as it's a neat find, but to me all the little things added up point more at lead seal.

No worries IP- this one is far from conclusive given the surface deterioration. I fear that if I clean anymore of the surface to reveal the possibility of a border design I'll lose the visible 37. This one may just remain a mystery lead piece in my display...with the connotation that it was found at a Rev Site :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries IP- this one is far from conclusive given the surface deterioration. I fear that if I clean anymore of the surface to reveal the possibility of a border design I'll lose the visible 37. This one may just remain a mystery lead piece in my display...with the connotation that it was found at a Rev Site :laughing7:

You could give the back an aggressive cleaning and if a design shows then you will know without question it's a seal. If it's a button a shiny clean back is not really going to be a big deal, and as bad as it sounds, buzzing it with a dremel would do a pretty good job at showing you what is there. I used to have friends who cleaned their pewter buttons that way, and it actually did work pretty good for what they wanted.. but is not my taste. I've never suggested it, but since the condition of the back of a button is not a huge deal, as is one side of a bale seal where you'd never be able to see anything without cleaning, I figured I'd at least throw that out to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Certainly worth a shot, perhaps I'll start with some less abrasive methods, soft brass brush etc, and see if I can confirm the back to be smooth. I'll post an update after I have the opportunity to work the reverse.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly worth a shot, perhaps I'll start with some less abrasive methods, soft brass brush etc, and see if I can confirm the back to be smooth. I'll post an update after I have the opportunity to work the reverse.

An Emory board nail file works pretty good at slowly grinding it down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread