🥇 BANNER 1656 POTOSI COB, TRAPEZOIDAL BUCKLE, BLOWHOLE BUTTON, EARLY STUD CHAPE, LEAD...

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get out the past two days to detect at two different early sites. The first site was in winter wheat so I was only able to detect a part of the field where they had recently staged some logging trucks but it turned out that that part of the field was in close proximity to an old house site. I was able to pull some early and cool looking buckle pieces as well as an early stud chape part of a buckle which is my first.
Today I hit an old site and was able to pull a whole trapezoidal buckle, a blowhole buckle and my first cob for the year!! I was beginning to think I was going to get skunked since I only a month or so of digging left. The cob has been walked over many times but I guess my coil was looking out for me and decided to lead me to it. It's a 1656 Potosi mint 1R.

Thanks for looking!!

7.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

6.jpg

Upvote 62
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow. What a great early site - you're on it and scoring some Grade A-1 shiz!!! Wow, amazing. Nice work and a big congrats on the killer finds

Steve

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing digs! Congrats

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish Michigan had that kind of History I would love to hunt somewhere like that. Thanks for the great post, Keeps me sane while the snow melts....

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir Henry Morgan called, he wants his silver back!
Not every day you find treasure that may have once belonged to a 17th century buccaneer!
:tchest::goldtrophy::2barsgold::coins::metaldetector::icon_pirat:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds. You have a few items on my wanted list there. Seems I just can't break past the early 1700's though. That's what keeps us looking though : seeing others that do! Congrats:icon_thumright:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man buddy that buckle frag is INCREDIBLE!!!! I'm really happy to see you have a killer hunt. Congrats on a great early cob too. You beat mine by a few years lol. I so wish that buckle was complete. I can't even imagine how nice that baby was. Great job pal

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man buddy that buckle frag is INCREDIBLE!!!! I'm really happy to see you have a killer hunt. Congrats on a great early cob too. You beat mine by a few years lol. I so wish that buckle was complete. I can't even imagine how nice that baby was. Great job pal

Thank you kindly sir. I bet the person who wore that buckle was the coolest guy on the sloop. I'm gonna wear a buckle adorned with hearts just to see who thinks I'm cool : )

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I'm late to the party man but I've had a long last 2 days. Great going on that cob! She should clean up nicely and maybe you can try to straighten it out too. You dug some other nice early finds as well. Glad you were able to get out and find a nice spot that hadn't been torn up by a tornado. We'll talk soon ....

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN LOVE COLONIAL RELICS , NICE FINDS .

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
And BTW - you probably won't believe this, but I've never dig an intact blowhole button after hunting 100s of colonial sites. I know they're not common down this way, but to be skunked all these years is ridiculous. I'll be needing a pic of that one if you know what I mean ...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And BTW - you probably won't believe this, but I've never dig an intact blowhole button after hunting 100s of colonial sites. I know they're not common down this way, but to be skunked all these years is ridiculous. I'll be needing a pic of that one if you know what I mean ...

Wow that is shocking!!!! Think I've found two maybe. It's so interesting what was popular in NE as opposed to your area. I guess the Lord B makes up for no blowholes lol

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is shocking!!!! Think I've found two maybe. It's so interesting what was popular in NE as opposed to your area. I guess the Lord B makes up for no blowholes lol

I think Bill's sites are too early for blowhole buttons ;)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Bill's sites are too early for blowhole buttons ;)

Oh that's right....he would have to step into the modern 1700s sites for one lol

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all relative and it's all what you like. if you're into finding old stuff then breaking into the 1700's isn't too shabby!

I couldn't agree more with you bud!!! And I like it ALL lol!!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Joey! You did something neither Bill or I could accomplish yesterday...dig spanish silver...this year is getting ridiculous! I seem to have traded silver for confederate brass...i miss my silver. Seriously, nice finds man.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Joey! You did something neither Bill or I could accomplish yesterday...dig spanish silver...this year is getting ridiculous! I seem to have traded silver for confederate brass...i miss my silver. Seriously, nice finds man.

Thanks Dan. You'll get your fill of silver in the summer when you're chest deep in colonial muck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread