Just returned from TEXAS - Republic Of Texas buttons X2, Dragoon, Aritillery, & MORE!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just returned from TEXAS - Republic Of Texas buttons X2, Dragoon, Aritillery, & MORE!

Last week I made my semi-annual trip to Texas to catch up with old friends and do a little relic hunting. Wednesday we spent about 6 hours at a 1850s military post in West Texas. I have been to this spot an number of times before and it never disappoints, although it has been hunted for 40 years. This time the conditions were pretty tough. The grass was high and it has been hunted a lot in the last couple years. I did pretty well with 17 bullets, 11 buttons, a few other odds and ends, and a strange eagle on a ball device that we couldn’t find in any books. My friends didn’t do so well, in fact my one buddy said it was the first time in 40 years that he didn’t find a marked button at this camp.

Saturday we went to a Republic of Texas fort site in central Texas. Four of my friends actually purchased the property about 12 years ago just to relic hunt it. These are the guys I cut my relic hunting teeth with back in 1991-1992 when I still lived in Texas and was just getting into relic hunting. I mentioned that I would like to try and find a Republic of Texas button since I had never found one. I was told that I had a chance at this site, although it was a very slim chance since this site had also been hunted hard over the years. I drove down with two of the “shareholders” and we spent three hours on this site. I wandered off into some woods thinking the ground would be softer and woods are harder to grid and clean out. It paid off for me with two Republic of Texas Infantry buttons. Other than that, I only found a couple fired musket balls. The other guys didn’t get any buttons but they were happy for me.

Here are my finds from Day 1 uncleaned. A lot of the buttons have baked on layer of dirt that hides the detail.

Day 1 dirty.JPG

Here are my two Texas buttons from Day 2 uncleaned
IMG_20160227_151443673.jpg

Here is my take from the two days minus a few rivits and Henry casings
All Clean.JPG

Republic of Texas Infantry buttons cleaned. The both have pushes, but I am happy to cross them off the bucket list. These buttons are very rare since the Republic of Texas had a very small army. :headbang:
Texas.JPG

Dragoon button had a nice slick patina and didn't require anything except toothbrush and toothpick.
Dragoon2.JPG

Cuff Artillery. I used hot peroxide, then a distilled water and baking soda paste to rub through the baked on dirt and expose the detail.
Artillery.JPG

Could use a little help with this bird. It is cast brass and appears to be an eagle on a globe or a bomb. We couldn't find it in the insignia book.
Bird front.JPG

Back of the eagle device. There is a raised boss where and attachment pin or hook had been.
Bird back.JPG

US Greatcoat button aka US Wreath. This one had some stubborn dirt stuck to it like cement. Still needs some work.
US Wreath.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 35
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, that was an awesome trip & I'm sure you look forward to it each year. The Rep. of Texas buttons from 1837 are rare finds. Dman dug one here in Tennessee that was from a CSA site. Congrats on filling another nice display box of historical recoveries from Texas. Texas & Tennessee are forever linked by a little church in San Antonio. WTG, Q.
Thanks Quindy. Mu buddy I stay with has bought and sold a lot of Alamo material over the years and has dug all over Texas and Mexico fo that matter. Too dangerous to go into Mexico now though.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries Steve. Glad you wandered off and found some republic buttons, obviously there are still some out there. Still waiting on a Rifleman and Dragoon myself. They aren't easy to come by. Nice haul overall.
Thanks Evan, I have dug two Rifleman's and maybe four Dragoons out of this spot. My buddy has dug countless Rifleman's and Dragoons over the years. The pre-war western forts and camps are where they are at.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of finds Steve. Looks like a fun trip

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY people, I got caught up with the other finds in this post and forgot that These Republic of Texas buttons from 1837 are RARE recoveries. Dman dug one without a shank & it was appraised for $1,000 and was a W & E Best find. I'm voting BANNER!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Texas buttons - BANNER VOTE!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Richard, Dman dug the Republic of Texas button that made banner in Tennessee on a Tenn. Trio hunt. Steve dug the 2 Rep. of Texas buttons recently in Texas. HH, Q.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS on a great hunt, which looks like a BANNER find to me!

:)
Breezie

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is awesome. Nicely done.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS THERE STEVE ..

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok my friend. Now that I'm more informed on these killer buttons I'm voting BANNER for sure. Absolutely worthy. Glad I was able to learn something new today

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY people, I got caught up with the other finds in this post and forgot that These Republic of Texas buttons from 1837 are RARE recoveries. Dman dug one without a shank & it was appraised for $1,000 and was a W & E Best find. I'm voting BANNER!
Thanks Quindy, you will see more slave tags and tree coins posted on this forum than Republic of Texas buttons.

BzyBee

Oct 29, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
ATpro's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer finds.. one..let alone TWO? BANNER TWINS!:camera::metaldetector:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Those are great finds Steve, those buttons deserve a banner as far as I'm concerned, so I'm voting that way!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A relic hunters dream hunt!! I vote double banner on those buttons! Many congrats to ya!!!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Stevie boy those really are a killer BANNER finds and i will be voting! One of those babies are rare to see but 2 means you went to Texas and showed them what time it was! ~Blaze

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stevie boy those really are a killer BANNER finds and i will be voting! One of those babies are rare to see but 2 means you went to Texas and showed them what time it was! ~Blaze
Haha! After my second one they said it was TIME TO LEAVE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread