Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months ago my neighbor died. She was a great 87 year old woman, and a fantastic neighbor. Her house was sold and the new owners have been remodeling. Ive already posted some bottles that I picked from the trash. Everyday I come home and rumage through the trash when they have been here cleaning out the house. Un believably one of the great bottles I got was owned by a company that is now owned by a member of this site, and is posted in the bottle forum on this site.any way as I pulled into the drive way I can see a sword sticking out of one of the cans. I stepped out of the truck pulled it out of the trash and brought it in the house. It is bad a-s !!! This is probaly one of the best finds of my life. Who would of ever thought you could get something so cool out of the trash. Here it is. photo-234.JPG
photo-233.JPG
photo-235.JPG
photo-231.JPG photo-230.JPG
photo-229.JPG
photo-228.JPG
photo-227.JPG
photo-226.JPG photo-225.JPG
This is a nasty weapon that would still do work in a pinch, if someone was coming through the door. It is stamped R&C and the only other marks are a group of scratched in hash marks in the hand guard. You can see those marks in one of the photos. I had a great day on sat MDing, and now this 3 days later. Lady luck is on my side!!! Hell now that I think about it its been a great month. My wife won 600$ this month on a scratch off too.

Upvote 29
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is more gold in the dumps of the world than all the gold lost on all the beaches of the world plus all the gold aboard the Atocha and all the treasure ships still lost at sea combined. How do I know this you may ask? Because I've seen it and done the math. There is a landfill that I know of that is slowly eroding into the sea not too far from where I live. I don't go there often but the times I do go I find gold, silver, and other precious relics - no metal detector needed.

The concentration of non-ferrous metals there is so high that metal detectors will not work. All the brass, copper, silver, and gold must be sorted out by hand, by eye, by sifter, or trowel. The ferrous metals have long since rusted away do to the landfill being exposed to the environment for over 75 years - which means the only metals left to find are stainless steel, copper, brass, silver, and gold. The amount of precious metals I've found there with just my eyes and hands leads me to the conclusion that there is a king's ransom buried in the world's landfills. I only had access to 0.01% of the landfill and still found treasure beyond my wildest dreams. If all this can be found in just a tiny exposed portion of the landfill just imagine how much treasure can be found if the landfill was completely sorted through - each and every piece. Just assume that in every ton of garbage there is a 1/2 gram of gold - then realize that every landfill contains several million tons of garbage. That's several million grams of gold per landfill.

After hundreds of years landfill material will disintegrate but the silver and gold within will not, and as time goes by the silver and gold will become more and more concentrated. Just something to think about for future generations.

I always new this without ever looking. Just herd to many stories of people throwing out there own jewelry by accident. Potential is staggering.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you folks talk about "hacking thru clothing" with a sword ...actually swords basically come in one of two types ...a straight bladed "stabbing" type sword or a curved bladed saber "hacking" type ... the straight bladed type was more used to stab at the main body torso areas by foot soldiers --the curved type was often used by horseback folks and the main targets were the head and arms of enemy soldiers ...very different fighting methods for the most part ....

Wow ivan... thats pretty scary to think about. Imagine actually having to face someone in a sword fight ??? Stabbing or slashing, dosent seem like it would have lasted to long before someone was maimed or dead !!! Brutal way to fight, very up close and personal. Thanks for all the help/info

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother threw out my grandfathers Rolex because "it was not working". heh.

Threw it in the Amvets bag going to curb.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bruce r ...its a german made model 1840 heavy cavalry saber (sword) made by Rohrig and Cie of Germany and imported during the civil war ..their nickname was the "wrist breaker" because if you hit with them incorrectly it could hurt your wrist very easily

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandmother threw out my grandfathers Rolex because "it was not working". heh.

Threw it in the Amvets bag going to curb.

That was a sad day for grandpop !! I assume that amvets stands for American veterans ??? If so it was a good day for a very thankful veteran. Not as bad as that troll melting down your atocha coin though.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I was picturing them trying to sharpen 250 or more swords the night before some battle and weather they would take there time and make them all real nice and perfect or if they were rushing to get them done in time. I hate to think that some one hacked at this with an electric grinder 100 years later!!! Wouldn't suprise me since I was beating it with a 2x4 last night. I was pretty careful about it though. That sucker was stuck in the sheath really good.

1st what a great find, and plucked it out of a trash can, just amazing
goes to show just how crazy the 21st century is

from reading around, the solders didnt spend time sharpening
@ the bottom of this pg are links about how the cavalry operated
Drill ? 2nd U.S. Cavalry Co. A/9th VA Cavalry Co. D

republished 1910 part 1
https://books.google.com/books?id=m...q=poinsett tactics&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st what a great find, and plucked it out of a trash can, just amazing
goes to show just how crazy the 21st century is

from reading around, the solders didnt spend time sharpening
@ the bottom of this pg are links about how the cavalry operated
Drill ? 2nd U.S. Cavalry Co. A/9th VA Cavalry Co. D

republished 1910 part 1
https://books.google.com/books?id=m...q=poinsett tactics&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Very interesting stuff, the second link will take me a little longer to read but both are interesting reading. I would imagine that sharpening would have fallen to the armorer or someone else that kept up the weaponry. I guess I should have been more clear in what I was trying convey. I was concerned with the grinding marks on the blade of this sword. I am sad to say that after looking the blade over carefully im convinced that someone at a much later date took an electric grinder to this weapon in an effort to sharpen this weapon. If that is the case im sure that they devalued this weapon quite a bit with there sloppy job. I guess what I wanted to here was somthing like " those grind marks are quite normal for a blade that was used in battle and repeatedly sharpened". I know that this is what I wanted to belive, but it is more probable that it was hacked by some idiot. Anyway when you find something in the trash you cant expect it to be a pristine example. Im over the fact that its probably worth only half of what it should be and am back to loving it as much as I did the moment I saw it. It looks awsome in my man cave and I didnt plan on selling it anyway. Its like hitting a gold coin with your digging tool and scratching it. Or going to kiss that hot chick on prom night and realizing that her breath is horrible !! When you look at that prom pic she is still a hottie, and when you sell that coin its still worth a lot. !! So if anyone can tell me those grind marks are normal for a sword of that era id love to here it !! I may clean it up with a file as I enjoy knife making and am very good with this type of work

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
since it will make you feel better ..oh yah those looks likes a moron hit it with a electric wheel grinder marks looks just like normal hand sharpening grind marks from he civil war era .. me I would secretly hate the dolt that did it for life ...but I would be so happy to have it at all that frankly I could get over it real fast ...and no I wouldn't sell it --so the it lost value because of the bad grinding job would be a moot point...

bart since you like knife making -- I have some good working stock -- very old (civil war era) rail road spikes from David Yulee's rail line that ran from Fernandina to Cedar key ...if your interested let me know..

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Blak bart, maybe ask the older ladies if they need a hand loading the cans
and moving the cans to the curb

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bruce r ...its a german made model 1840 heavy cavalry saber (sword) made by Rohrig and Cie of Germany and imported during the civil war ..their nickname was the "wrist breaker" because if you hit with them incorrectly it could hurt your wrist very easily

The perspective of the photo throws me off, the size of the hand compared to the blade, but, looking again I notice how massive the scabbard hangers are and I have to agree, Heavy cavalry saber. It would , however, have ordnance acceptance marks if it was indeed U.S military.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread