Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months ago my neighbor died. She was a great 87 year old woman, and a fantastic neighbor. Her house was sold and the new owners have been remodeling. Ive already posted some bottles that I picked from the trash. Everyday I come home and rumage through the trash when they have been here cleaning out the house. Un believably one of the great bottles I got was owned by a company that is now owned by a member of this site, and is posted in the bottle forum on this site.any way as I pulled into the drive way I can see a sword sticking out of one of the cans. I stepped out of the truck pulled it out of the trash and brought it in the house. It is bad a-s !!! This is probaly one of the best finds of my life. Who would of ever thought you could get something so cool out of the trash. Here it is. photo-234.JPG
photo-233.JPG
photo-235.JPG
photo-231.JPG photo-230.JPG
photo-229.JPG
photo-228.JPG
photo-227.JPG
photo-226.JPG photo-225.JPG
This is a nasty weapon that would still do work in a pinch, if someone was coming through the door. It is stamped R&C and the only other marks are a group of scratched in hash marks in the hand guard. You can see those marks in one of the photos. I had a great day on sat MDing, and now this 3 days later. Lady luck is on my side!!! Hell now that I think about it its been a great month. My wife won 600$ this month on a scratch off too.

Upvote 29
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful...your new neighbors are obviously insane...they would have to be to throw out a piece like that!!!

They are the house flipper type. They hire people to do everything, including cleaning it out. The family fought horribly over the contents of the house. After rummaging through the house they grabbed what they wanted and all went there way. The sherriff had to be there to keep the peace at the share out. Everthing thats left is getting tossed. The stamp collection that came out of here filled a pickup truck. I think I just became a dumpster diver !!! I have always wanted somthing like this, and it is going right on the wall. Cant wait to see what else is in here. Think about this... what are the little hash marks in the guard?? Perhaps they are like notches in your belt, and represent kills or battles fought. Man is it a cool piece! !!! I think to the old women doing the clean out it was just an old rusty sword that they couldnt even get out of the sheath . I cant believe that I was beating it with a 2x4 to free it up.!!! Ouch!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
made along the style of a US 1840 model heavy cavalry "wrist breaker" by the company Rohrig and Cie...from the famous Solingen Germany (famous for sword and cutlery making) --imported during the civil war a similar one on e bay lists at about 400 bucks but to me it would be priceless --it looks like legit civil war era type item --

I can see why they called it a wrist breaker, it feels clumsy in the hand and isnt that balanced. I guess if you were flying along on horse back it wouldnt take much to really maim someone though. Check out my thread in the bottle forum under "Big water" to see some of the bottles I got from this house.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BB...
Any way to get some close up shots of the blade itself ?
Tip of blade to the guard / hilt... in sections... like 3 ?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Whole new form of treasure hunting. Think you might need some help moving those cans so I'm on my way down. What's your address?

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Buy yourself a can of Ballistol and give it a good work over. If you haven't used Ballistol look it up and read about it. It's amazing stuff.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Bart, what a month! I'm in a streak of bad luck, so nice to hear someone's having a nice ride of the luck wave and i'm happy it's you. ;) I have a question; is it possible that Teddy Roosevelt could have used a sword like this when he was a cavalry officer with the Rough Riders? I recall seeing a picture of him with a sword but can't find it. Anyway, this is an incredible find, I wish you good luck in the coming days, hope they'll add some more treasure to the garbage pile ;)
:occasion14::blackbeard:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found two pics of Teddy's sword, but they're both on Pinterest. Will try to include them here, but who knows?

8d0a393fef81ae739831c2586abb1372.jpg

3173ebdcee42ebb09a237bbb668f9ad3.jpg

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BB...
Any way to get some close up shots of the blade itself ?
Tip of blade to the guard / hilt... in sections... like 3 ?

photo-236.JPG
photo-237.JPG
photo-238.JPG photo-239.JPG
photo-240.JPG
Here we go AARC starting at the tip working back. Hard to photograph . It has a concave part in the center of the blade that runs almost to the tip. Above the concave part of the blade is a smaller blood groove thats just below the back of the blade or spine of the blade. This groove does not run as far as the concave part of the blade. The cutting edge has been ground on heavily.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops... sorry about my RT (response time)...

I was goofing off.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... now I am gonna post some pics...

$_.1.jpg $_1.jpg photo.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the blade pics you posted and "why" I wanted them.

In a sword... the blade tells the most story.

For example... lack of contact marks tells me it has had no sword to sword contact.

And has been sharpened incorrectly... etc.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet someone used this as part of their "pirate costume" down there in the keys at one time :P

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a super find. I'm so glad you recovered it so that others can see it. Great save

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the wooden handle has no grooves in it( if the blade only was imported --and it was "built" in America it would have a grooved wooden handle ) -- the smooth wood handle is common on European made swords..they used smooth wood handles and leather wrapped them with a wire over lay -- the leather has clearly rotted away ..leaving only the smooth wood and wiree wrapping ...so this was totally built in Europe and "imported" as a finished sword during the civil war era

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the blade pics you posted and "why" I wanted them.

In a sword... the blade tells the most story.

For example... lack of contact marks tells me it has had no sword to sword contact.

And has been sharpened incorrectly... etc.

I was wondering about the grinding on the edge? Obviously it was a bad job, but was it done in the distant past on a large stone wheel, or did some idiot hack it with a modern grinder. I guess what I'm saying is does a sloppy grind indicate the norm for somthing done in the feild during actual wartime. Or were they meticulous with there grinding even when they were pressed for time in a battle situation. ???

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
uh in a battle you don't take time to grind a sword --cuz your busy hacking away with it ...now before or after a battle yah --thats when you sharpen a sword

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread