Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit down

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
I just turned the ring into to the local police department. When I found out what the ring was worth this morning my first thought was that I should try to find the owner. This is not a $50 gold ring or even a $200 gold ring, we are talking $4,000 to $5,000 and unless this coin/jewelry dealer is the only honest one I have ever met odds are it may be worth a good deal more than that.

Second this ring was obviously important in terms of sentimental value. A friend of mine commented that it appeared to be an older style ring. It could have belonged to my mother, what if it belonged to yours? Keeping it was out of the question as it didn't survive the mom test.

I tell you it caused quite a stir at the station and the two officers on duty were awestruck when I opened the case and that diamond spewed fire in all directions under the lights. I was busy documenting the find for them when the lieutenant came out and he and I had a very good discussion.

The lieutenant was genuinely amazed that I would turn in such a find. He said, "people are out there detecting all the time and nobody ever turns anything in and I know they are finding good stuff". I mentioned that a find like this is quite rare, once in a lifetime for most people. Most days I told him our finds are rather average, a few coins, lots of trash, and if we are lucky a piece of gold or silver that is often worth well under $100. I told him straight that I don't turn those in, they pay for gas, parking, and equipment.

But a find like this, this ring is in a different class and many in our hobby will do the right thing and turn in a find like this. I tell you I made HUGE points with the lieutenant. He of course got all excited about getting into metal detecting and gave me his card and email address. Several times he was adamant that if the owner was found he was going to tell them that they need to pay me a reasonably sized finders fee. When I tried to wave that off he almost told me to be quiet, saying look you have to pay all this money for the equipment then spend your time finding the ring, you deserve a finders fee dam it so be quite I'm going to make sure you get one. lol It was great.

In general the point that I made mostly by my actions was that people have some misconceptions about the metal detecting community. Our hobby has lots of great people who often step forward and do the right thing returning lost items of value to their owners. I mentioned our track record of returning class rings to their owners. I tell you he was impressed. If I accomplished nothing else tonight I won new respect for those in our hobby and a truck load of good will. And probably three new members, I know treasure feaver when I see it, the officers had it bad!

Now to the legal part. They hold the item for 30 days and try to find the owner. They have a log of lost items and the owner may have already reported the item lost who knows. They will do what they can to find the owner and that is my wish. If at the end of 30 days nobody claims the item then it will be returned to me. The lieutenant told me this directly and I believed him. He assigned the whole thing an incident number and I got the feeling they took it all very seriously. Of course when I told him the ring had been roughly assessed at a value of $4,000 to $5,000 that helped. Jaws were gaping. They asked me all kinds of questions about what to ask to ensure a person claiming the ring was the rightful owner. I provided some. I will follow up with an email detailing exactly where it was found and what the owner should be able to tell them about the location itself and identifying marks on the ring the owner should know.

So in 30 days if nobody claims the ring, I will be the new owner and I will be happy to own it under those terms. If I kept my mouth shut and just kept the ring I'd never feel quite right about it. That whole mom test thing would have worn on me.

By the way the lieutenant was anxious to get my contact information and line up people who would pay to hire me to help them find some rather expensive lost items. He mentioned a $10k ring someone lost recently. I smiled and told him I had a day job but that I'm willing to volunteer as time allows. I kept a very low key in terms of rewards, finders fees, or whatever. I left them with a we volunteer to help our neighbors impression.

So there you have it. I'm sure some of you may be thinking Charles what are you nuts? Hey you know what, I guarantee you I just banked a serious amount of karma, probably enough to find a chain cent or half disme or something. ;D ;D

Charles

Upvote 0

Helo

Jun 18, 2007
S.La.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Whites M6 ,Whites Eagle II,Fisher 1270, Tesoro Conq. Umax w/manual G/B ,Discovery 3300
Re: Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit dow

Charles your heart is in the right place. I hope this thing works out in your favor.Many certified and valuable stones have laser inscriptions on them that can only be seen with high magnification .You said there was identifying marks but didn't go into detail , that was a good point.I've thought about this and if it happens to me I probably will go to a reputable jeweler and find out if the stone is marked. If it is they can trace it to the last reputable seller the way I understand it.If not, I would post a found add in the local papers and classified ads for 30 days. If no one ID's the ring I would keep it with a clear conscience. God Bless You, Your Mom can be proud of you! HH.. Rich... 8)

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit dow

steelheadfever said:
As a former police officer I know for fact that they will not put it up for auction and put the money in a policemans fund. I don't know where some people come up with these ideas. It sure is not based on fact. If within the 30 days they can not find the owner the ring will be returned to you. If they told you that you will get it back if no one claims it you will get it back. HH Dennis in Idaho

Personally I agree with you steel, but I have a baaaaaaad feeling this is going to bring out lots of "let me tell you what happened to me..." stories :P

Eljeef

Greenie
Apr 26, 2005
The elephant's snout.
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Fisher Aquanaut 1280x, White's Coinmaster 6000

Well Done! I hope I will do the same in that situation.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Well, I'll tell you this, if the owner comes forward, you are guaranteed super Karma for life!! You did the right thing!
Baggins

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
I'll try to answer a few questions.

This particular police dept policy is if lost property is not claimed in 30 days and the person who turned the property in did not leave any contact information then they auction the property off. If as in my case the person who found the property did provide contact information then the property is returned to the finder and it belongs to them.

The lieutenant made a point of stating that he would secure the ring in such a way that it would not get legs and turn up missing while in their possession. I guess you had to be there but it seemed quite clear to me that the ring would be secure. I have a copy of the report I turned in, the lieutenant's business card, and another card with the other officers names and incident number.

If the rightful owner made a claim after the 30 days and I still had the ring in my posession I don't know what the law is. My guess would be that I now legally own the ring, nevertheless I would almost certainly return the ring if I knew for certain they were the legal owner.

Some of you have written to me privately concerned that someone may read the information I have posted publically about the ring and try to claim it. I have witheld many key details so I would be careful about that. I informed the police in detail what information I posted on-line in public and details that only the police and I know. Anyone contemplating making a false claim should think carefully else they end up in cuffs.

Good deal. Wouldn't it be nice if the owners claimed, gave you a nice reward and had lots of property that you could search anytime! Imagine what you might find then.

Yep that could happen, its happended before when I returned a class ring that was lost 25 years prior.

i told my wife of this storey, and she asked me if you were hitt'n the pipe.

Now that's just darn funny there! lol

Seems like I read that if you sold it you could be arrested for "larceny by conversion". However, if you turn it in and wait the required 30 days and no one comes forward, then you could sell it and it would be legit.

Yes that was also a consideration. I don't need that kind of trouble, nobody does. This way if I end up with the ring I'm free to do whatever I want with it without stressing about the what ifs. Like what if it was stolen and then lost at the beach? What if it was stolen at the beach, and somebody got nervous and tossed it? No end to it right.

And of course the positive side? Nobody claims it, you end up with a pile of cash, and you STILL will reap the other benefits mentioned above

You are right on target.

Hey folks at the end of the day if the ring is claimed I'm still way ahead on this one. I'm no saint either, you think I didn't have second thoughts on the drive down there to turn it in? I did! I can honestly say that I'm glad I turned it in though, however it turns out.

Charles

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII

You've already achieved Five great things!

#1 You made a spectacular find.

#2 You've gained the highest respect possible from everyone that knows you. ( and some of us members of TN, including me).

#3 The entire police force in your town thinks you're super cool.

#4 You can be proud of yourself when you look in the mirror.

#5 You've elevated metal detecting as a hobby up a notch or two. (thanks dude).

You must keep us posted on what happens next. I'll bet the list of great things gets longer and longer! :D

Cheers!

Ridley

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Good for you! The chances of finding the rings's owner are slim and next to none but with the Mother factor worth the shot. It's hard to say who and when on the loss of the ring. Did the apprasier have any idea of the age or possibly the period when the ring may have been made based on the style and such? I'm not sure how most police stations work with lost items. I would suppose if the item was just turned in by a good citizen and it went unclaimed it would probably be put up for auction. However a find or possibly claim of right might be honored the same as if someone found a pile of cash and turn it in with the find going unclaimed usually results in the finder being the keeper. I would hope they honor that claim. It would be wrong for them to confisticate it and resale it. But I'm 56 and I've seen the rules changed quite a bit in those years.
Nice find and best of luck to you. However it ends I hope it ends right for you.

JR

jonhls

Nov 10, 2006
great find and a tough but correct return.I would like to think that i would do the same,It would probaby take me a day or two but it would at at me till I returned it i think.And yes as soon as I returned it i would second guess myself but in the end we all have to be able to like what we see in the mirror.I guess a good question for everyone is what do you return and what do you keep.So far i have not found anything of great value that could be traced,but hopefully someday i do and i can only hope to do the same thing.29 days left good luck...hh jon

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Charles!! Way To Go!!! I am not going to tell you that you did the right or wrong thing...But I am going to tell you that you should be proud of yourself for what you did do. That is a hard choice to make and you did what many of us wouldn't do. I just hope that one day when myself or someone I care about has a item "Come up Missing", the finder of that item will follow in your footsteps. However, That being said....I sure hope you get to keep it ;D

Nathan

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Charles,

Thank you for exhibiting the character that most of us wish we had. In today's world, there are not many people who will just hand over $5,000 with the chance they will get it back.

I hope your good deed does not go unnoticed. I hope this act will open so many doors to metal detect the "good" spots that you will never need to look for another spot. They will find you.

You truly represent the best we, as human beings, have to offer. You are truly an outstanding individual and deserve everything that comes your way because of this.

I am not sure if Jeff reads all these posts but I would like to see your avitar on the banner as one of the true treasures we have "found" on TN. It may break tradition but in this case I think it would be the right thing to do.

Thank you for being the person you are. Your mom did it right. I hope she is still around to learn of what "her boy" has done.

Daryl

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250

??? :o >:( :-\ :'(.....OK.....well.....good job? lol YOUR NUTS

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

If he is "NUTS" then we need more nuts in this world. I, for one, would like be "NUTS" like him, raise my kids to be "NUTS," and have "NUTS" for friends. NO LOL.

Daryl

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
OK, this will get me banned or yelled at or whatever but,............ I love this forum, mostly as a viewer lately, but love this forum and am always happy about everyone's finds as you all have been happy about mine..........BUT......I am very sorry, I haven't believed even a bit about this post since the beginning.......for tons of reasons........not for a minute......and Jeff from PA, you once PM'ed me and said not to doubt anything that I can't prove but other than the really over-scripted story, can someone (preferably Charles) please tell me how you went to the jewelry store this morning to get your appraisal and then you posted to tell us the "good news" at 7:55 am.......what time do the jewelry stores open in your neighborhood?

Greg

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

I think the time of the post is the time set on the computer it was sent from. I just logged onto the "Chat" session and it said I logged on at 8:41am. That is the current time here in Amsterdam and the time set on my computer. Maybe the time on the computer that sent the post is not correct. The actual time of the post could be really anytime if the computer time is off.

Daryl

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
ok, let me be the first to retract something......maybe the time stamp on our posts reflects a 3 hour difference making my earlier point invalid.........Charles, I really hope you found this ring but did you ever get that funny "gut feeling'?

Not trying to be a jerk folks, really....

Greg

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
1235CE said:
ok, let me be the first to retract something......maybe the time stamp on our posts reflects a 3 hour difference making my earlier point invalid.........Charles, I really hope you found this ring but did you ever get that funny "gut feeling'?

Not trying to be a jerk folks, really....

Greg

Greg, the time of your post on my pc screen here in CA is showing 11:47pm. You're in MA, right?? I see the time of Charle's original post as 7:55am also. Hmmmm.....that's too early for any jewelry business to be open...

Man, I find it hard to believe Charles would do something like that....sure, I really don't know the guy, but I think a few on this forum know him quite well. He keeps talking about Karma, mother looking over his shoulder, doing the right thing, etc...I'm sure he has some explanation to you to make you feel a little more comfortable about his integrity.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

Dan,

Change the time on your computer and repost. See if it uses the time you set. I think it does. Sometimes, people forget to change the time for DST etc.

Daryl

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro

I completely understand your support of at least trying to find the owner. Once I was detecting with a friend at a house that another friend of mine owns. He found a ring, and after a long talk with him he cleaned it up and gave it to the people...the result was he was welcome to come and detect/look for arrowheads at the property anytime. By the way the property dates back to the late 1600's!
I also find it very troubling when people walk into cemetaries and start detecting. Let the dead lie in peace, or at least get permission. Lets face it, I couldn't imagine finding a piece of jewelry that someone may have placed over a grave plot, or lost at a funeral and thinking that was a good find.
Of course there is the yuppie factor. The wealthy person doing construction on an old house and who has the whole yard messed up. You show up and have the decency to ask if you can detect and they say "no". Or, worse yet they want everything that you find (and they mean it), then...they end up buying a detector themselves...clean up the yard, and/or put up posted signs......and never use the detector again.
That took a lot of courage....I don't know if I could have done that with that rock! But, it was probably the right decision.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on your part Charlie.
I hope all turns out well. Keep us posted.
You may want to check the "lost and found" section of your local paper. I know I always see people who have lost jewelry posts their ads there.
It may be worth trying to go back through these ads for a month or so if possible.
Good luck to you,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions