🥇 BANNER Ultra Rare Confederate Button just found - John Wilkes Booth, Lincoln Associations

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be hard to figure out where to start on this one. Keep reading, this is awesome. I was digging a park yesterday, watching the folks walk their dogs, and the kids playing on the swing sets and after about the 50th dig, with about 25 coins, including 2 wheaties and a buffalo I got bored. So I decided to go aways' north to a farm I have detected before, that does have some old stuff on it. It has been pounded, mainly by me, but I decided to hit a few harder to get to spots. Which proved wise. I walked 5 feet from the car, and balanced the machine. Walked six steps and got a decent signal, like a dime signal. Out popped a splash of gold. No, not a gold coin. But even dirt encrusted, I could see it was a Civil War type domed button. Dug a little more before I had to leave to go see the accountant, taxes are done, but got 1 more flat button and 2 modern dimes, and was so curious about the button I just had to get out of there and get home and get it cleaned.

What the cleaning revealed turns out to be ONE OF A KIND ultra rare button, used by Confederates in the Civil War. It is a St. Timothy's Hall button. St. Timothy's Hall was a military school in Catonsville, Maryland started in the 1830's and it burned in 1872, it never reopened as a military school.

It is best known due to alumni John Wilkes Booth, who did attend for a time 1852-1853. Booth, if you remember your history, assassinated President Abraham Lincoln in April of 1865. Another alumni, Samuel Arnold, was convicted of conspiracy in the murder and went to prison for it.

Maryland was a very divided state during the Civil War, and this particular school had a strong southern bend. While the headmaster was a strict abolitionist, the school body leaned strongly to the south, and it was reported when each southern state seceded from the union, the student body cheered and fired the cannon in salute to that rebellious state.

The school gave the Confederate Army General Fitzhugh Lee, another alumni and General Steven Elliott, among many, many other soldiers.

Professional button collectors consider this a true southern school button. The button itself is intact. Whew! Alphaeus Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons", Bicentennial Edition lists it as SU378 on pages 342 and 343. It lists its backmark as "Scovills & Co. Superfine".

This button does NOT HAVE THAT BACKMARK.

It has the "Waterbury Button Co.**" which was used exclusively 1861-1865. This backmark has NEVER BEFORE BEEN REPORTED ON THIS BUTTON.

So, for now, the button is UNIQUE. This backmark is pictured in McGuinn and Bazelon's "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; & Dates" figure 21, in the appendix. It's the 1861-1865 mark.

I confirmed the information with one of the largest Confederate Memorabilia dealers in the nation, who I have known for years, and he confirms the designation as not only a Southern used button, but one with a unique backmark.

The site was along the route some of Jeb Stuart's cavalry used during the Gettysburg Campaign. One of the alumni probably lost it on the raid from Hanover, though York down into Maryland. What a ride for the little guy!

Digging a Confederate button is no easy task these days, but digging a UNIQUE button is mind blowing. I have not fully cleaned the back yet, and the mark is somewhat weak, until I get it cleaned up a little better.

I am excited. st timothy.jpg st timothy rear.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 114

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Congratulations on the banner :hello2:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a stellar BANNER find!!! :notworthy:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Such an original and historic button that's easy on the eyes too.
Congrats

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
Congratulations on a Super rare button. I found one of these buttons twenty years ago in one of John Bell Hoods
camps in North West Alabama. I still have the button and it is one of my favorites.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can pick this one up at my estate sale, hopefully a few decades from now. I do not sell finds, I still have the only other Southern School button I found in 1991. A NMI with Virginia Tyrannis on it. It's also pretty rare. This new button is a little nicer though. The NMI is thought to be Norfolk Military Institute. These thing apparently are very hard to get.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic! You give me hope with a find like that. We just never know. We only have to keep on looking.

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
watch eBay as it's a pricey book but you can occasionally find it for under $50.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Civil War buttons are so not in my wheelhouse....
But DAYUM son, that's just incredible.
Thx for the great post with your research, and congrats on earning the well-deserved Banner!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a detecting buddy that actually lives in Catonsville. That's where the school was. He went by there today and saw someone detecting nearby. Most of the area is under asphalt/concrete, Google Earth is a wonderful tool. Anyway, the button wasn't found within 20 miles of the place, but you never know. I read one report before the CW the cadets had a disagreement with the staff, so "revolted" and camped out for a few days in some nearby woods with their muskets. Good old fashioned campout. Gotta love blacktop! Hides all kinds of stuff.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did get a copy of the book, came yesterday. Interesting read.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I understand. A confederate military school located in Maryland?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Maryland almost became part of the Confederacy except for Washington, DC sitting down the street. When the war broke out, the southern sympathizers left the school and joined the Confederate army.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a BANNER FIND. "Let It Be Said, Let It Be Written"

From the great State of Louisiana CONGRATULATIONS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
Congratulations on a Super rare button. I found one of these buttons twenty years ago in one of John Bell Hoods
camps in North West Alabama. I still have the button and it is one of my favorites.

I could not figure out how to upload the button pictures in private message. Please see the button here.
Brings back great memories from 20 years ago. This was my very first Civil War button. I have hunted
every Saturday since then. The button was in a plowed field and is heavily damaged. I cannot make out
the back mark.

Attachments

• St. Timothy Hall button front North Alabama.JPG
    St. Timothy Hall button front North Alabama.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 81
  • St. Timothy Hall button back North Alabama.JPG
    St. Timothy Hall button back North Alabama.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 104

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really awesome! Congrats on Banner find!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice button Smokey. I found a handful of more St. Timothy's buttons posted on other sites. There is also a reference in to your exact button with that backmark in Emilios book. It may not be the only button with that backmark but it is scarce for sure.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike N Tn, that backmark is probably a Waterbury Co. or Scovills, you might be able to figure it out by the spacing of the letters.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great banner find. Thanks for sharing the story and for the additional information you provided when I met you at the hunt yesterday., i.e., that it is no longer "unique". Did the 2nd one you found there have the same backmark?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread