🥇 BANNER Ultra Rare Confederate Button just found - John Wilkes Booth, Lincoln Associations

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be hard to figure out where to start on this one. Keep reading, this is awesome. I was digging a park yesterday, watching the folks walk their dogs, and the kids playing on the swing sets and after about the 50th dig, with about 25 coins, including 2 wheaties and a buffalo I got bored. So I decided to go aways' north to a farm I have detected before, that does have some old stuff on it. It has been pounded, mainly by me, but I decided to hit a few harder to get to spots. Which proved wise. I walked 5 feet from the car, and balanced the machine. Walked six steps and got a decent signal, like a dime signal. Out popped a splash of gold. No, not a gold coin. But even dirt encrusted, I could see it was a Civil War type domed button. Dug a little more before I had to leave to go see the accountant, taxes are done, but got 1 more flat button and 2 modern dimes, and was so curious about the button I just had to get out of there and get home and get it cleaned.

What the cleaning revealed turns out to be ONE OF A KIND ultra rare button, used by Confederates in the Civil War. It is a St. Timothy's Hall button. St. Timothy's Hall was a military school in Catonsville, Maryland started in the 1830's and it burned in 1872, it never reopened as a military school.

It is best known due to alumni John Wilkes Booth, who did attend for a time 1852-1853. Booth, if you remember your history, assassinated President Abraham Lincoln in April of 1865. Another alumni, Samuel Arnold, was convicted of conspiracy in the murder and went to prison for it.

Maryland was a very divided state during the Civil War, and this particular school had a strong southern bend. While the headmaster was a strict abolitionist, the school body leaned strongly to the south, and it was reported when each southern state seceded from the union, the student body cheered and fired the cannon in salute to that rebellious state.

The school gave the Confederate Army General Fitzhugh Lee, another alumni and General Steven Elliott, among many, many other soldiers.

Professional button collectors consider this a true southern school button. The button itself is intact. Whew! Alphaeus Albert's "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons", Bicentennial Edition lists it as SU378 on pages 342 and 343. It lists its backmark as "Scovills & Co. Superfine".

This button does NOT HAVE THAT BACKMARK.

It has the "Waterbury Button Co.**" which was used exclusively 1861-1865. This backmark has NEVER BEFORE BEEN REPORTED ON THIS BUTTON.

So, for now, the button is UNIQUE. This backmark is pictured in McGuinn and Bazelon's "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; & Dates" figure 21, in the appendix. It's the 1861-1865 mark.

I confirmed the information with one of the largest Confederate Memorabilia dealers in the nation, who I have known for years, and he confirms the designation as not only a Southern used button, but one with a unique backmark.

The site was along the route some of Jeb Stuart's cavalry used during the Gettysburg Campaign. One of the alumni probably lost it on the raid from Hanover, though York down into Maryland. What a ride for the little guy!

Digging a Confederate button is no easy task these days, but digging a UNIQUE button is mind blowing. I have not fully cleaned the back yet, and the mark is somewhat weak, until I get it cleaned up a little better.

I am excited. st timothy.jpg st timothy rear.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 114

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that is a relic among reclics as far as buttons go. Thanks for the well documented research and history lesson. As another has mentioned it's the history related to the "metal" that produces the true value of these recovered objects. I am a button lover at heart and yours is very nice. I would be quite careful about cleaning it. I have damaged some cool finds rushing to get the detail to come out. Congratulations and if I knew how to vote BANNER I would find your button merits this honor. Peace.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, that is amazing! And an amazing history lesson!!! I live literally 5 minutes from Catonsville and so much history is PACKED here. I read a few books and never heard of that military school. I must find out where it is! Haha Great button! :hello2:

relichound

Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats

All I can say is wow, the historical significance and link to the assignation of Lincoln is mind numbing! Thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you know, I was in pa not long ago and found my first CW relics.
hope you didn't find that someplace I went over!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your top notch and unique button! A button like that should be on the banner yep.

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Flingin', flangin', flippin' awesome! Congrats on a tremendous find!!! We all like to find Southern buttons but Southern school buttons are a whole different level!

If you look in Dan Binder's book "Civil War Collector's Guide to Albert's Button Book" he notes it has both Scovill and Waterbury backmarks while the Stephen Lott article on "Southern School Buttons" (North South Trader Vol. XXI, Issue 1) notes the button has as many as 6 different backmarks.

UNERTHEN

Sep 22, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000 with 8", nel sharp, nel sharpshooter. Garrett Ace350 with 8x11 and 4.5 sniper. Garrett at propointer, garrett zlynk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner button for sure. Sweet dig.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Jeff Gordon, wasn't the same farm. I have several farms within 30 miles of each other in PA and MD I have dug over the years. Most have been a waste of time. To say the least - the button was a total shock. I was so shocked after seeing the CW period backmark, I puttered around maybe another 20 minutes then zoomed home to figure out what it was. For all I know, there is a whole coat left behind! I'm still in shock. I've actually dug more Union and Confederate plates, mainly Union of course, than Confederate buttons. There is a book I just bought off Amazon that gives a history of the Catonsville, MD area where the school was located. I never knew it existed either until I dug the button.

And the cleaning is over, by definition that's a toothbrush and water and now it's drying. Will put a light (but removable) preservative on it in a few days when I know it's dry inside. Left a smudge of dirt around the shank.

Davers, yes, everybody run 50' into the field to start to dig. I dug a piece to a Springfield musket trigger guard last week 15' from the truck. Last month, dug 5 bullets and 6 or so Union eagle buttons from UNDER the truck, where I had been parking it. Of course it got moved to dig there!

Too many sites, not enough time!

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn Smokey! Hell of a button. Congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, the Deus I got in November snagged it. Since there was little iron around, the cheapest detector on the market could have found this one. Less than 4" deep.

Fever 87, I'll have to snag me a copy of that book.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Smokey. What a find. I hope you find more. Great work.

BoundToSteel

Apr 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491270445.276496.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491270454.156593.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491270465.811543.jpg .

Here are the pics. For some reason I couldn't private message them to you.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find and a great story! Thanks for sharing. :occasion14:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. This is more than banner, this should be in top finds and Western and Eastern will definitely take notice for their annual recognition of one-of-a-kinds. Truly it appears it is just that. Congratulations, and great post.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your 'Unique to date' find!!!
:occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. Just a few feet off the road, 4" underground, intact button, no nails around, no aluminum cans. And in a spot near where Jeb Stuart's cavalry went through, but if there was a history with them on that property, I have not heard anything about it. My Confederate CSA Virginia style plate was found about 15 miles away, and was probably from the same campaign. Again, at a place no one would ever think about finding anything there. Unbelievable, but true. I know one thing, I will not start to try to start a collection of Southern School Buttons, that would be a near impossible feat.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
:cat:Awesome find ,Smokey. Congratulations on the find, as well as the Banner and other recognitions to come. Thanks for the history lesson.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread