🥇 BANNER The find of a lifetime! 1652 Pine Tree Shilling!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This past Sunday I found the find of a lifetime, a 1652 Pine Tree Shilling at a site in Connecticut. I don't post much on here but thought I would share it with you. 18814336_10209321218691077_6990423850541621481_n.jpg 19105701_10209321219051086_7146193852843806294_n.jpg

Upvote 137
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's cool "6 of the same one" & Clemson is in my Top 5 College Teams 'GA DOG'S #1. lol'
&
It's not that far away , I crossed the State line Many times & saw them 'Paw Tracks ' painted on the road.

Just scrolling down, wondering why your Coin is not on TOP YET.

Maybe the powers that be are on Vacation.???

Funny how that works, Id gladly trade some of my Gold Finds for Confederate Buttons , or Certain Plates (from both sides).
As they are all pretty much equal in 'market' Value.

Also funny IMO , I drove 80 miles South to look for a lost Wedding Ring W /Diamonds back in March, this was on a Friday the Lady had lost it on Monday night, both were County LEO, The guy had bought a Wal-Mart Detector.
&
By the time I got there they had torn up a Brier Patch along with much shrubbery , I looked from 1pm til Dark thirty.
I finally had to leave,I told the Husband I don't think it's here. He mentioned something about having company that night it was lost & Thought Hmmmmm?

2 day's later He called me & said they found the ring in her nightstand , Somewhere they had looked 100 times.

Now after that rant , maybe yr coin is on Banner LOL

Thanks Davers. I don't know how the banner works. I have been on TreasureNet for three years so I didn't just join yesterday to post a Pine Tree Shilling. I know that this coin was at the top of my bucket list and many other detectorist's. My wife was so happy for me she got me a cool shirt! 19399151_10209414631106329_8114490947087774102_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just saw one in far worse condition than yours going for 50,000$!

You must be looking at a rarer variety. I seen two sales for Noe-16 graded at MS62 and sold for 25-30k. His grade and over-all condition is well below that of course, so divide that number by several times to start. Then consider the demand probably isn't too high as there's many known in similar condition being a more common variety, so drop the number again. I don't know what it's worth but would think a few grand, maybe 4 or 5k?, but I'm sure it wouldn't sneak through a grader without being marked cleaned or environmental damage... and have to think that's a little more hurtful when there's competing examples.

Iron Patch is correct on the estimate. I have been told that it could go for Iron Patch's estimate or a few thousand more. One of the major auction houses contacted me after seeing one of my posts and gave it an unofficial grading at either EF or AU (details). The coin has not been cleaned and I am afraid to touch it. The dirt is still on the coin. I don't plan to ever sell the coin and, perhaps, may get it professionally conserved one day by one of the grading services.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Donnie
Ring ring mail call.......
have i seen you on Stealth Diggers?

And btw congrats on a stellar find:icon_thumleft: :occasion14:

Thank you! Yes, I was the mail man on Stealth Diggers but I am now Lost In Space.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This coin isn't up on the banner yet ! Whats the point of having a banner if your not going to put one of the most coveted coins to find by hobbyists ??

TreasureNet posted a link to this thread on Facebook with the caption "Check this out" so, at least, I'm helping them advertise the site.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch is correct on the estimate. I have been told that it could go for Iron Patch's estimate or a few thousand more. One of the major auction houses contacted me after seeing one of my posts and gave it an unofficial grading at either EF or AU (details). The coin has not been cleaned and I am afraid to touch it. The dirt is still on the coin. I don't plan to ever sell the coin and, perhaps, may get it professionally conserved one day by one of the grading services.

A soak in warm soapy water and light brushing with a tooth brush won't do any harm.... but will make it look better. This part might get a few eye rolls but I'd actually do it... even to a MASS silver I was keeping, and have to an early silver of mine which means just as much to me as that coin does to you. Before putting it in a coin holder I rubbed a little Renaissance wax in, and it did a very good job and really made the coin pop. I then did it to all my other early silver and really like the result. Both of those things are no risk, and of course the wax thing is a person preference - keeping in mind that type of wax is more like rubbing Vaseline in, not a thick coating that makes a noticeable layer on the surface... I have used that type of wax for buttons and is very different. You can't even tell it's on there. Anyway, just thought I'd run that by you.

Last edited:

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A soak in warm soapy water and light brushing with a tooth brush won't do any harm.... but will make it look better. This part might get a few eye rolls but I'd actually do it... even to a MASS silver I was keeping, and have to an early silver of mine which means just as much to me as that coin does to you. Before putting it in a coin holder I rubbed a little Renaissance wax in, and it did a very good job and really made the coin pop. I then did it to all my other early silver and really like the result. Both of those things are no risk, and of course the wax thing is a person preference - keeping in mind that type of wax is more like rubbing Vaseline in, not a thick coating. You can't even tell it's on there. Anyway, just thought I'd run that by you.

I agree. I use Renaissance wax as well nearly on everything. US belt plates, Breast plate, Cannon balls, coppers and silvers ect. Its safe on all metals/materials and its the same technique the museums use to restore.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A soak in warm soapy water and light brushing with a tooth brush won't do any harm.... but will make it look better. This part might get a few eye rolls but I'd actually do it... even to a MASS silver I was keeping, and have to an early silver of mine which means just as much to me as that coin does to you. Before putting it in a coin holder I rubbed a little Renaissance wax in, and it did a very good job and really made the coin pop. I then did it to all my other early silver and really like the result. Both of those things are no risk, and of course the wax thing is a person preference - keeping in mind that type of wax is more like rubbing Vaseline in, not a thick coating. You can't even tell it's on there. Anyway, just thought I'd run that by you.

Thanks Iron Patch. I thought about letting the coin soak in distilled water for about 30 minutes to see if some of the dirt would come off. I haven't done anything yet and I am still too afraid to touch the coin. I already use Renaissance Wax on my coppers and I really love the way the coins look after I put a light coat on them. I actually put a light coat on my shoe buckles, cuff links, or any brass or copper relic that I recover. I like the fact that the British Museum uses it to preserve their relics.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iron Patch. I thought about letting the coin soak in distilled water for about 30 minutes to see if some of the dirt would come off. I haven't done anything yet and I am still too afraid to touch the coin. I already use Renaissance Wax on my coppers and I really love the way the coins look after I put a light coat on them. I actually put a light coat on my shoe buckles, cuff links, or any brass or copper relic that I recover. I like the fact that the British Museum uses it to preserve their relics.

The surface of your coin already has issues so a very light brushing to remove the dirt won't do anything. If the coin was not dug, and AU condition... then a person would not really want to touch it with anything... but that's not where you are. I find the wax is really good at keeping the relic looking the same as before coated. Did not expect to like the result on silver as much as I do, but there's no denying it made a positive difference.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats! :weee: Where's the banner for this beauty.

Thank you! TreasureNet posted a link to this thread on their Facebook page so, at least, I am helping them to advertise the site. It was even picked up and shared by another metal detecting site on Facebook which is how I noticed it.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The surface of your coin already has issues so a very light brushing to remove the dirt won't do anything. If the coin was not dug, and AU condition... then a person would not really want to touch it with anything... but that's not where you are. I find the wax is really good at keeping the relic looking the same as before coated. Did not expect to like the result on silver as much as I do, but there's no denying it made a positive difference.

I never realized that the surface of a silver coin would have issues by being in the ground for 325+ years but, apparently, it does. The auction house that contacted me after seeing one of my posts said that if I had the coin graded the grading service would only give me a details grade because of the surface issues. They estimated that it would grade EF or AU for details. I did use Renaissance Wax on a silver colonial knee buckle that I found. I would like to know what the coin would look like with the dirt removed. I can see some very nice silver under the dirt in areas where it is not too thick. I also thought about having it professionally conserved but, for now, I am just going to take my time and decide which way I want to go. Congratulations on your 1699 Cob! It's beautiful!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never realized that the surface of a silver coin would have issues by being in the ground for 325+ years but, apparently, it does. The auction house that contacted me after seeing one of my posts said that if I had the coin graded the grading service would only give me a details grade because of the surface issues. They estimated that it would grade EF or AU for details. I did use Renaissance Wax on a silver colonial knee buckle that I found. I would like to know what the coin would look like with the dirt removed. I can see some very nice silver under the dirt in areas where it is not too thick. I also thought about having it professionally conserved but, for now, I am just going to take my time and decide which way I want to go. Congratulations on your 1699 Cob! It's beautiful!

I can guarantee you could send that coin to anyone and all they'd do would be to remove the dirt and say it's done, and send you a bill. Or the alternative... do something really stupid. And if you don't think that could happen there was a post on here several years back where someone sent in a nice 1877 indian with a green patina. The coin was as good as it could be, so it was not the right decision to send it to be cleaned or conserved, or whatever you want to call it. A true professional would have just mailed it back, but the company he sent it too, a well known one, they used some type of acid or something very harsh and stripped the entire surface basically killing the coin. The after was brown, pitted, and horrible. So at min. anyone who sends a coin away for any type of treatment better be sure to know it's a smart move, and then find out what is going to be done before they do it.

The cob is a favorite, as is the others I've found. I can't seem to hit the early silver like I did my first 5 years, but I know I'll dig a good one again at some point. Maybe this Fall.

OP
OP
Donnie B from VA

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can guarantee you could send that coin to anyone and all they'd do would be to remove the dirt and say it's done, and send you a bill. Or the alternative... do something really stupid. And if you don't think that could happen there was a post on here several years back where someone sent in a nice 1877 indian with a green patina. The coin was as good as it could be, so it was not the right decision to send it to be cleaned or conserved, or whatever you want to call it. A true professional would have just mailed it back, but the company he sent it too, a well known one, they used some type of acid or something very harsh and stripped the entire surface basically killing the coin. The after was brown, pitted, and horrible. So at min. anyone who sends a coin away for any type of treatment better be sure to know it's a smart move, and then find out what is going to be done before they do it.

The cob is a favorite, as is the others I've found. I can't seem to hit the early silver like I did my first 5 years, but I know I'll dig a good one again at some point. Maybe this Fall.

Thanks for that information Iron Patch! That is really good to know. I never even dreamed that one of the professional services would do something like that. Well, I can say for sure now that nobody is touching my coin but me. It makes sense though because to one of these "professionals" it's just another coin to work on before the day is done. It doesn't really mean anything to them. I would be horrified, and angry, if something like that happened to me. Thanks again, Iron Patch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread