Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
123 year old house to be demolished

Found out a bank here is going to demolish a 123 year old home to add additional parking spaces for its employees. I stopped in that morning to the main office and asked if I could speak to someone about the house they were going to demolish. After a short wait I was led back to an office by a nice lady who began nervously explaining to me how they were "working with a couple organizations" to salvage parts of the home. I told her all I was interested in permission to metal detect the yard before they tear the house down. She looked pretty relieved (I think there has been some local backlash) and was like "oh yeah, no problem" :laughing7:

Anyway, I have spent a few evenings there now and think I have cleaning it out pretty good (yeah I know, theres still some treasure hiding in there... )

xIMG_3498.jpg

xIMG_3510.jpg

Upvote 21

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, here's the thing....
AFTER the place gets knocked down, go back and hit it hard.
The bulldozers will tear up the surrounding turf, more goodies will rise, get pushed around, and be closer to the surface.
Also, don't neglect he footprint of the building....the crawl space has potential as well, especially porch areas.

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, here's the thing....
The bulldozers will tear up the surrounding turf, more goodies will rise, get pushed around, and be closer to the surface.
Also, don't neglect he footprint of the building....the crawl space has potential as well, especially porch areas.

I would like to.... However the lady who gave me permission said once they started to demolish the house it would be a "construction zone" and they wouldn't want me there then.... The front porch has some really thick bushes I might try squeezing behind, wouldn't be easy...

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All demolition sites are construction zones, and you are automatically trespassing if you hop a barricade or even a caution tape line.
However, if you are aware of and comfortable with the potential dangers [and of course after/before working hours], I consider most of them fair game. Generally, worse that can happen is someone will tell you to scram and don't come back.

I work heavy construction for a living so feel right at home on demolition sites and have never got bounced. I almost always go in the late evening or even at night with a head flashlight.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your finds. Great job of getting permission. Keep hitting it till they pave it!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to.... However the lady who gave me permission said once they started to demolish the house it would be a "construction zone" and they wouldn't want me there then.... The front porch has some really thick bushes I might try squeezing behind, wouldn't be easy...

Bring a chainsaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, here's the thing....

Yeah, what Dave said. Very nice digs so far my friend. I love construction spots. No need to fret over the sod getting "damaged". Glad the banker lady gave you the go ahead. I hope you have the time to continually work that spot as they keep moving the dirt around. Keep us posted.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Lock Plate Mate. I really love the craftsmanship that went into things back in the day. Well done on the old coins. As far as the lady saying no hunting after construction starts. I am afraid I'd be going back into that dirt once it got stirred up. I would be very respectful of the workers and wait until they are long gone and not disturb their work areas. Use common sense and don't fall into any open holes and avoid any dangerous spots. I just scan for mostly surface finds on these spots. Good fortune whatever you decide to do.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool story and the fact she let ya metal detect!!! Great finds. Keep an eye on it though. I would want to get back there when they start moving the dirt!!:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions