Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a follow up to Thad's post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...skey-spinner-schooled-master-detectorist.html here are my finds.
As Thad said, we collaborated on researching and locating a cellar hole in a wooded area near Pittsburgh. The place shows up on the 1876 atlas, but was obviously occupied into the 1950s based on the finds we made. I carried a lot of stuff out that will go in my scrap brass and copper buckets, but also got enough of a taste of the mid 1800s to justify some return trips.
Here is a group shot of some of the stuff that came out with me.
All.JPG

Some of the better stuff
Better stuff.JPG

This broach was pretty neat.
Broach 1.JPG

Found what I first though was a large cent, but turned out to be a pretty cool token. Here are non dug examples
Token Front.JPG Token non dug.jpg Token1.jpg

I also dug an 1851 large cent and a flying eagle, both in extremely poor condition.
Coins Front.JPG Coins Back.JPG

Update: I figured I had nothing to lose so I went with an aggressive baking powder paste rub on the LC and FE.
coins.jpg

We found several religious items. I ended up with a four different religious medals, but managed to lose one of them. Here is a pewter medallion of Pope Leo XIII
medallion.jpg

We will make some more trips to the site. Hopefully an old silver will show up, but if nothing else I can continue to fill my scrap buckets :)

Last edited:
Upvote 29
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment of finds, sometimes quantity over a little quality does the trick also in scratching the itch. Nice going on the old brooch pin and token.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE=against the wind;5609491]Now that was a great hunt. From the looks of the old stuff that you found, that spot is worth revisiting at least 20 more times. lol
Congratulations[/QUOTE]
I believe a little exploratory excavation in this area may pay off......

Attachments

• Baumgart's.jpg
    Baumgart's.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety there Steverino...I like the broach the best it's a personal find..I wonder if she was beautiful??
Glad you showed your buddy how good of a Masterbater you are!

~Blaze~

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety there Steverino...I like the broach the best it's a personal find..I wonder if she was beautiful??
Glad you showed your buddy how good of a Masterbater you are!

~Blaze~
How many times did you get held back in 9th grade?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a follow up to Thad's post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...skey-spinner-schooled-master-detectorist.html here are my finds.
As Thad said, we collaborated on researching and locating a cellar hole in a wooded area near Pittsburgh. The place shows up on the 1876 atlas, but was obviously occupied into the 1950s based on the finds we made. I carried a lot of stuff out that will go in my scrap brass and copper buckets, but also got enough of a taste of the mid 1800s to justify some return trips.
Here is a group shot of some of the stuff that came out with me.
View attachment 1518302

Some of the better stuff
View attachment 1518303

This broach was pretty neat.
View attachment 1518304

Found what I first though was a large cent, but turned out to be a pretty cool token. Here are non dug examples
View attachment 1518306 View attachment 1518307 View attachment 1518308

I also dug an 1851 large cent and a flying eagle, both in extremely poor condition.
View attachment 1518309 View attachment 1518310

Update: I figured I had nothing to lose so I went with an aggressive baking powder paste rub on the LC and FE.
View attachment 1518580

We found several religious items. I ended up with a four different religious medals, but managed to lose one of them. Here is a pewter medallion of Pope Leo XIII
View attachment 1518311

We will make some more trips to the site. Hopefully an old silver will show up, but if nothing else I can continue to fill my scrap buckets :)
Nice going Steve :)

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent job on the research and congrats on the fantastic finds ! :icon_thumright:

Good luck on the return hunt guys !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread