Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a follow up to Thad's post http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...skey-spinner-schooled-master-detectorist.html here are my finds.
As Thad said, we collaborated on researching and locating a cellar hole in a wooded area near Pittsburgh. The place shows up on the 1876 atlas, but was obviously occupied into the 1950s based on the finds we made. I carried a lot of stuff out that will go in my scrap brass and copper buckets, but also got enough of a taste of the mid 1800s to justify some return trips.
Here is a group shot of some of the stuff that came out with me.
All.JPG

Some of the better stuff
Better stuff.JPG

This broach was pretty neat.
Broach 1.JPG

Found what I first though was a large cent, but turned out to be a pretty cool token. Here are non dug examples
Token Front.JPG Token non dug.jpg Token1.jpg

I also dug an 1851 large cent and a flying eagle, both in extremely poor condition.
Coins Front.JPG Coins Back.JPG

Update: I figured I had nothing to lose so I went with an aggressive baking powder paste rub on the LC and FE.
coins.jpg

We found several religious items. I ended up with a four different religious medals, but managed to lose one of them. Here is a pewter medallion of Pope Leo XIII
medallion.jpg

We will make some more trips to the site. Hopefully an old silver will show up, but if nothing else I can continue to fill my scrap buckets :)

Last edited:
Upvote 29

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats.. There's probably a lot of old coins left waiting for you to return.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Steve! Definitely looks like the site could produce a big ol' seated silver

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was a great hunt. From the looks of the old stuff that you found, that spot is worth revisiting at least 20 more times. lol
Congratulations

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a very nice assortment of finds. Shame you can't get a date off the FE 56 is key date

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds. That Victorian brooch is an eye catcher. Congrats! :thumbsup:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great team work finding the old dot on the map! My favorite find of yours is the pre Civil War token. The merchant's shop was in the South Side. I guess these merchant tokens were common in Pittsburgh in the early 1800's as coinage was often scarce. Too bad your FE was a bit toasty, but I've never found one so great find. Maybe the silver coins are under all the old beer cans....

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great team work finding the old dot on the map! My favorite find of yours is the pre Civil War token. The merchant's shop was in the South Side. I guess these merchant tokens were common in Pittsburgh in the early 1800's as coinage was often scarce. Too bad your FE was a bit toasty, but I've never found one so great find. Maybe the silver coins are under all the old beer cans....
So the Mr. Morse and his book emporium was in the South Side? Must have been on the corner of Carson and 4th. Wonder if the building is still standing?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the Mr. Morse and his book emporium was in the South Side? Must have been on the corner of Carson and 4th. Wonder if the building is still standing?

Looks like his store was leveled for a parking lot..., but it would have been on the corner of Carson, so it would have been a busy location. Makes sense that he had so much business he had to have his own coinage made (books were popular believe it or not... now iPhones ...)

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That broach is pretty sweet Love the stone

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds. Keep up the good work in Pa. till I get home in May. Congrats.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs Steve! Definitely looks like the site could produce a big ol' seated silver
Joey, I hope you're right. But I would be happy if there is an earlier house site nearby. Thad did find a tombac and I found a little breeches buckle that is identical to ones I have found on late 1700s sites. We still have some exploring to do.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this token is also considered a Hard Times Token

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to see you & Thad coopted a sweet hunt together. You got some very nice coins, token, and relics. That brooch is just old eye candy. Well researched and carried through initial hunt. Most definitely worth another pounding or twelve.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions